Enyimba, Heartland set for pre-season friendly in Owerri

Oriental rivals Enyimba and Heartland will clash in a pre-season friendly in Owerri, DAILY POST reports.

The game is slated for the Dan Anyiam Stadium, Owerri on Wednesday. It will kick-off at 9am.

The two teams will use the game as part of their preparations for the 2026/27 season.

Both teams have fortified their squad with new players ahead of the new campaign.

Enyimba will aim to secure a record 10th Nigeria Premier Football League, NPFL, title.

Meanwhile, Heartland will target promotion to the NNL.

Enyimba, Heartland set for pre-season friendly in Owerri

Al-Nassr: ‘This is probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement

Al-Nassr forward, Cristiano Ronaldo, has hinted that the ongoing season could be his last as a professional footballer, DAILY POST reports.

The 41-year-old Portugal captain disclosed this in an interview with lifestyle magazine, Vogue, published on Sunday.

It comes days after his wedding to his long-time partner, Georgina Rodriguez.

Ronaldo, who made his senior debut for Sporting Lisbon in 2002, said he wanted to end his career on a high.

“This is probably my last year of football and I want to leave a spectacular legacy,” he said.

The five-time Ballon d’Or winner added that he had already mapped out life after football.

“I have so many things to keep me busy that to tell you just one thing is hard. Because football could leave a big hole, you have to fill your time in various ways, not just one.

“And also have more fun, travel more, watch and play padel, which I really like, and continue to enjoy what I’ve earned — what we’ve earned. Because, after all, it’s been 25 years with a lot of sacrifice.”

Ronaldo has won league titles in England, Spain, Italy and Saudi Arabia, and remains the all-time leading scorer in men’s international football.

The forward has scored 976 goals for club and country and is 24 goals short of the 1,000 milestone. He has one year left on his contract with the Saudi Pro League champions.

Ronaldo did not feature as Al-Nassr began their title defence against Al Fateh on Saturday. He watched the game from the stands with his family.

Al-Nassr: ‘This is probably my last year’ – Ronaldo hints at retirement

Transfer: Man City agree €76.5m deal with Barcelona to sell Rodri

Manchester City have agreed to sell Rodri for a fee of £65.4m (€76.5m) to Barcelona.

City had been trying to convince Rodri to stay and sign a new contract.

But the midfielder made it clear he would prefer to move back to Spain this summer, despite having one more year left on his contract.

Rodri is expected to sign a four-year contract with Barcelona.

For Barcelona, they are parting with big money for a 30-year-old midfielder.

But Rodri has just guided Spain to the World Cup and Hansi Flick believed he could bolster the squad that won the LaLiga title this year.

Transfer: Man City agree €76.5m deal with Barcelona to sell Rodri

Plumptre resumes Al-Ittihad training after injury layoff

Super Falcons defender, Ashleigh Plumptre, has returned to training at Saudi club Al-Ittihad, following her lengthy injury layoff, DAILY POST reports.

Plumptre underwent surgery in March after sustaining a foot injury, while in action for the club.

The injury forced the versatile defender to miss the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations.

The Super Falcons endured a disappointing tournament, crashing out in the quarter-finals.

Justine Madugu’s side also failed to secure a place in the inter-confederation playoffs.

Plumptre is now ready to return to action for Al-Ittihad.

Plumptre resumes Al-Ittihad training after injury layoff

Community Shield: Why I dropped Martinelli, Nwaneri against Man City – Arteta

Arsenal manager, Mikel Arteta, has said players like Gabriel Martinelli, Ethan Nwaneri and Gabriel Jesus were left out of his Community Shield squad due to size restrictions.

Arteta also claimed he is talking to the Premier League to expand their squad number allocations.

Currently, a team can register 25 players aged 21 or over.

Players under the age of 21 do not need to be registered in the 25-man squad list and can play freely throughout the season.

On a matchday, teams can name 20 players – 11 starters and nine substitutes.

Arteta told TNT Sports: “It’s really sad not to have their availability. I’ve been fighting with the Premier League to extend and accommodate more players in the squad because they deserve to be in the squad, there’s no question.

“Ethan [Nwaneri] and Marli [Salmon] as well, who has had the whole pre-season with us. Hopefully we can change that rule so players can enjoy on the pitch and can be an option to play and contribute to the team going forward.”

Of the absent players, Martinelli recently turned down a move to Galatasaray despite Arsenal accepting a £38.9m bid, with the 25-year-old understood to be reluctant to move to Turkey.

Community Shield: Why I dropped Martinelli, Nwaneri against Man City – Arteta

NPFL: Micheal Ibe nears a return to Katsina United

Micheal Ibe is close to a move back to Nigeria Premier Football League, NPFL, side Katsina United.

Ibe previously played for the Chanji Boys during the 2023/24 season.

The experienced forward was spotted at Katisna United’s pre-season camping this week 

Ibe left Remo Stars following the expiration of his contract.

The 31-year-old won the NPFL title with Remo Stars two seasons ago.

He was named Katsina United’s Player of the Season three years ago.

Ibe’s return is expected to add more fire power to the team’s attack next term.

NPFL: Micheal Ibe nears a return to Katsina United

EPL: ‘Difficult to win back-to-back titles – Lescott predicts champions

Former Manchester City defender, Joleon Lescott, has tipped Arsenal win the Premier League title this season.

The Gunners are the current champions after finishing seven points ahead City last term.

Lescott admits it is hard to win the crown in consecutive seasons but believes the continuity in Mikel Arteta’s squad will be an advantage.

“It is very early [to make predictions], but you would say Arsenal,” Lescott exclusively told Mirror Football.

“Considering the key factors, they probably have fewer obstacles ahead of them.

“[Mikel] Arteta has continuity with the players and the squad now has genuine belief, so I would say Arsenal. I know how difficult it is to win back-to-back titles, so that is my overriding opinion.”

EPL: ‘Difficult to win back-to-back titles – Lescott predicts champions

U-20 WWC: Falconets gear up with Poland, Korea friendlies

Nigeria’s Falconets will face Poland and Korea Republic in friendlies ahead of the 2026 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup, DAILY POST reports.

Moses Aduku’s side are currently preparing for the biennial competition in Abuja.

The Falconets are expected to travel to Poland for their final preparations on Monday, 24 August.

The two friendlies will help the team fine tune strategies for the World Cup.

Nigeria have been drawn in Group F with Spain, China, and New Caledonia.

The Falconets will open their campaign against Spain at the Arena Sosnowiec on Monday, 7 September.

The West Africans second group game against China will also hold at the same venue three days later.

Nigeria’s last group game against New Caledonia will hold at the Stadion Miejski ŁKS on Sunday, 13 September.

U-20 WWC: Falconets gear up with Poland, Korea friendlies

NNL: El-Kanemi Warriors will be ready for the new season – Goni

El-Kanemi Warriors assistant coach, Ishaq Hussain Goni, says that the team will be ready for the new season, DAILY POST reports.

The Borno Army were relegated from the Nigeria Premier Football League, NPFL, last season.

El-Kanemi Warriors, however, won the 2026 President Federation Cup.

Goni boasted that they have selected good players who will represent the club this season.

“Alhamdulillah, some people doubted that we could make it this early, but by the will of Allah, we now have better and fully prepared players who are ready to wear the yellow and green jersey,” Goni told the club’s media.

Goni also promised that the team will perform beyond expectations in the new campaign.

“We have intensified our training, and we are going to surprise the world.

“Soon, we will unveil our new players and, In Sha Allah, you will all smile. Our target is to go far in the continental competition.

“When the NNL campaign kicks off, our target is to secure one of the promotion tickets to the Premier League.”

NNL: El-Kanemi Warriors will be ready for the new season – Goni

Transfer: Super Falcons defender, Alani signs for Turkish club 

Super Falcons defender, Jumoke Alani has sealed a move to Turkish club, Yüksekova Spor Kulübü, DAILY POST reports.

Alani joins Yüksekova Spor Kulübü from Nigeria Women Football League, NWFL, outfit, Nasarawa Amazons.

She put pen to paper on a one-year contract with the club.

The 21-year-old is moving to Europe after impressive spells in the NWFL with Edo Queens and Nasarawa Amazons.

The young defender was named in the NWFL Team of the Season in the 2025/2026 campaign.

Alani once represented Nigeria at the U-20 level.

The centre-back was part of the Super Falcons squad that won the gold medal at the 2023 All Africa Games.

Alani was also named in Super Falcons’ preliminary squad for the 2024 Olympic Games.

Transfer: Super Falcons defender, Alani signs for Turkish club 

Verified by MonsterInsights