Nigerian Correctional Service dismisses 3 personnel, sanctions others

The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) has dismissed three officers and sanctioned others for various acts of misconduct.

This is contained in a statement by the Service Public Relations Officer(SPRO), Assistant Controller of Corrections (ACC) Abubakar Umar, on Thursday in Abuja.

Umar said that the service,in a bid to maintain a high standard of discipline and professionalism ,reviewed various cases of unprofessional conduct of affected personnel .

He said the review of the various cases,such as gross negligence of duty,absence without leave, trafficking in illicit items and general inefficiency, resulted in the dismissal of the personnel ,including a Controller of Corrections.

According to him, in a letter issued by the Civil Defence, Correctional, Fire, and Immigration Services Board (CDCFIB), twenty personnel were discharged and acquitted.

“This is for the various offences which they were accused of; while one officer who was previously suspended was reinstated after the review exercise.

“Also, a total of three personnel were compulsorily retired, six personnel had their ranks reduced, while 13 personnel attracted either verbal or plain warning.

“These sanctions are in line with the zero tolerance on staff misconduct, a cardinal mantra of the Controller General of Corrections, Haliru Nababa and targeted towards ridding the Service of unscrupulous elements and misfits.

“This is so as to improve professionalism as well as to entrench discipline, ethics and excellence in its officers and men,”he said.

Umar said that the Service had the onerous mandate of keeping custody of the legally interned in a safe and humane condition as well as reforming, rehabilitating and reintegrating them to the society as responsible citizens.

He said :“In order to meet these mandates, the Service ensures that it cleanses personnel of bad eggs as well as unprofessionalism that may set back or slowdown the achievement of these important national mandates.

“The Service hereby assures members of the general public of its resolve to secure all custodial and non-custodial facilities, and engender true correctional practice in conformity with international best correctional practices.

“The general public is also requested to support the Nigerian Correctional Service in its efforts towards effective offenders’ management so as to promote public safety and national security in general,”he said.

The post Nigerian Correctional Service dismisses 3 personnel, sanctions others appeared first on Guardian Nigeria News.

  • Related Posts

    Arteta confident Arsenal will overcome Gabriel loss, eyes Everton win

    Mikel Arteta said Arsenal cannot be derailed by the loss of Gabriel Magalhaes for the rest of the season as they chase Premier League and Champions League glory. The Brazilian centre-back added to Arteta’s woes with a hamstring injury in Tuesday’s 2-1 win over Fulham that will require surgery. Bukayo Saka came off the bench
    Read More

    Mikel Arteta said Arsenal cannot be derailed by the loss of Gabriel Magalhaes for the rest of the season as they chase Premier League and Champions League glory. The Brazilian centre-back added to Arteta’s woes with a hamstring injury in Tuesday’s 2-1 win over Fulham that will require surgery. Bukayo Saka came off the bench

    Read More

    Nigeria receives one million Gavi-funded vaccine doses to combat meningitis

    The Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare received over one million pentavalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine (Men5CV) doses from the Gavi-funded global stockpile this week to combat the meningococcus C and W outbreak in northern Nigeria. This was disclosed in a joint press statement on Friday by the Vaccine Alliance, Gavi, the World Health Organisation,
    Read More

    The Federal Ministry of Health and Social Welfare received over one million pentavalent meningococcal conjugate vaccine (Men5CV) doses from the Gavi-funded global stockpile this week to combat the meningococcus C and W outbreak in northern Nigeria. This was disclosed in a joint press statement on Friday by the Vaccine Alliance, Gavi, the World Health Organisation,

    Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Billionaire Zuckerberg’s net worth drops $17.9 billion as Meta stocks dip  

    Forex losses push International Breweries to N111.8 billion loss in 2024 

    FCMB Group reports pre-tax profit of N111.8 billion as interest and operating income surge 

    CBN links foreign debt service to $2.57 billion drop in FX reserves in Q1 2025 

    Dangote among global billionaires who lost combined $208 billion in one day from Trump tariffs 

    Nairametrics set to host first-ever Capital Market Choice Awards (NCMA) 

    eDryv: A Game-Changer in Urban Mobility 

    BREAKING: Court bars Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, and Senate from granting interviews over alleged misconduct case 

    Unfair credit ratings pushing up costs of borrowing for African countries – ECA 

    China retaliates with 34% tariffs on US imports, escalating trade war 

    Nigeria seeks fresh $10.50 million World Bank loan to boost CBN’s technical capacity 

    Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags    

    realme C75: Unbreakable Champion Beyond Quality—Redefining Smartphone Durability in Nigeria 

    House of Tara enters a new era: Meet the new Managing Director

    Lagos Independence Bridge to reopen on Sunday, traffic to be restricted to half carriageway – Umahi 

    World’s 2nd richest, Bezos loses $16 billion in 24 hours as Amazon shares fall 

    Brent Crude down by $10 a Barrel, Worst day since 2022

    Why Trump’s reciprocal tariffs may have less direct impact on Africa—Afreximbank Research 

    European organization offers job opportunities with work visa sponsorships for international applicants 

    Top 10 Nigerian stockbrokers by transaction value in Q1 2025 

    Nigerian Senate to address critical Tax Reform Bills after Easter holidays 

    Court orders final forfeiture of FIRS staff’s Abuja, Kano properties over alleged money laundering  

    Trump Tariffs: Why US matters less to Nigeria’s trade story – New report

    EFCC boss vows to tackle non-performing loans  associated with fraud across Nigeria  

    ISA 2025: Nigeria formally recognizes cryptocurrency as securities in new SEC Act 2025 

    Mining Marshals shut down illegal site in Nasarawa, arrest three foreigners 

    SON issues 107 product certifications to 44 companies in Anambra 

    Kwara Government partners IsDB to invest $57.2 million in livestock and rural development 

    Robust frameworks needed for transparent local government fund management in Nigeria – ICPC 

    ICPC re-arraigns Professor Igbinoba over alleged degree peddling and forgery in Benin 

    MTN Group CEO Ralph Mupita appointed as new GSMA Deputy Chair

    9PSB Records 50% Transaction Growth with Qore’s BankOne 

    Essaadi: Foreign Exchange Volatility to Persist in 2025

    Interswitch Donates to Tertiary Institutions to Boost STEM Education

    Hungarian Govt to Bolster Socio-economic Development in Sokoto

    Julius Berger rejigging infrastructural development in Rivers