WikiLeaks founder Assange returns home a free man

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange returned home to Australia to start life as a free man Wednesday after admitting he revealed US defence secrets in a deal that unlocked the door to his London prison cell.

Assange landed on a chilly Canberra evening in a private jet, the final act of an international drama that led him from a five-year stretch in the high-security Belmarsh prison in Britain to a courtroom in a US Pacific island territory and, finally, home.

His white hair swept back, the Australian raised a fist as he emerged from the plane door, striding across the tarmac to give a hug to his wife Stella that lifted her off the ground and then to embrace his father.

Dozens of television journalists, photographers and reporters peered through the airport fencing to see Assange, who wore a dark suit, white shirt and brown tie.

“He will be able to spend quality time with his wife Stella, and his two children, be able to walk up and down on the beach and feel the sand through his toes in winter — that lovely chill,” Assange’s father, John Shipton, said earlier in the day.

– ‘Time to recuperate’ –
Prison time had taken a toll on Assange, who did not attend a WikiLeaks news conference to mark his return, his wife told reporters.

“You have to understand, he needs time, he needs to recuperate, and this is a process,” she said, apparently close to tears.

“I ask you please to give us space, to give us privacy, to find our place, to let our family be a family.”

Assange’s long battle with US prosecutors came to an unexpected end in Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands, where a judge accepted his guilty plea on a single count of conspiracy to obtain and disseminate national defence information.

The remote courtroom was chosen because of the 52-year-old’s unwillingness to go to the continental United States and because of its proximity to Australia.

READ MORE: WikiLeaks founder Assange’s wife ‘elated’ at release

As part of behind-the-scenes legal negotiations with the US Justice Department he was sentenced to the time he had already served in London — five years and two months — and given his liberty.

“You will be able to walk out of this courtroom a free man,” the judge in Saipan told him.

Assange had published hundreds of thousands of confidential US documents on the WikiLeaks whistleblowing website from 2010.

He became a hero to free speech campaigners but a villain to those who thought he had endangered US security and intelligence sources.

– ‘Too long’ –
“Working as a journalist, I encouraged my source to provide material that was said to be classified,” Assange told the court.

Assange’s lawyer Jen Robinson told reporters it was a “historic day” that “brings to an end 14 years of legal battles”.

“It also brings to an end a case which has been recognised as the greatest threat to the First Amendment in the 21st century,” she said.

After touching down in Canberra, Assange told Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese by phone “that he had saved his life”, the lawyer told reporters.

Albanese said he was “very pleased” by the outcome.

“Regardless of your views about his activities, and they will be varied, Mr Assange’s case has dragged on for too long,” he told parliament in Canberra.

The United Nations also hailed Assange’s release, saying the case had raised human rights concerns.

But former US vice president Mike Pence slammed the plea deal on social media platform X as a “miscarriage of justice” that “dishonors the service and sacrifice of the men and women of our Armed Forces.”

– Banned from US –
The US Justice Department said after the hearing that Assange was banned from returning there without permission.

US authorities had wanted to put Assange on trial for divulging military secrets about the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

He was indicted by a US federal grand jury in 2019 on 18 counts stemming from WikiLeaks’ publication of a trove of national security documents.

The material he released through WikiLeaks included video showing civilians being killed by fire from a US helicopter gunship in Iraq in 2007. The victims included a photographer and a driver from Reuters.

Assange was arrested in 2019 and held in Belmarsh prison while fighting extradition to the United States.

He had spent seven years in Ecuador’s embassy in London to avoid being extradited to Sweden, where he faced accusations of sexual assault that were eventually dropped.

READ MORE: WikiLeaks says Julian Assange is ‘free’ after US plea deal

– Married in prison –
Assange met his wife Stella while holed up in the embassy and the pair married in a ceremony in London’s Belmarsh prison. They have two young children.

The announcement of the plea deal came two weeks before Assange was scheduled to appear in court in Britain to appeal against a ruling that approved his extradition to the United States.

Washington had accused Assange under the 1917 Espionage Act and supporters warned he risked being sentenced to 175 years in prison.

The Australian government made an official request to that effect in February and Biden said he would consider it, raising hopes among Assange supporters that his ordeal might end.

The plea deal was not entirely unexpected. US President Joe Biden had been under growing pressure to drop the long-running case against Assange.

The post WikiLeaks founder Assange returns home a free man appeared first on Guardian Nigeria News.

  • Related Posts

    UK court orders Trump to pay £625,000 for failed lawsuit 

    The High Court in London on Thursday ordered US President Donald Trump to pay £625,000 ($741,000) in legal costs after he unsuccessfully sued a former British spy over a salacious dossier. Trump had sought to bring a suit against former MI6 officer Christopher Steele, who authored the so-called Steele dossier, which alleged the US leader
    Read More

    The High Court in London on Thursday ordered US President Donald Trump to pay £625,000 ($741,000) in legal costs after he unsuccessfully sued a former British spy over a salacious dossier. Trump had sought to bring a suit against former MI6 officer Christopher Steele, who authored the so-called Steele dossier, which alleged the US leader

    Read More

    Trump claims TikTok deal ‘very close’

    President Donald Trump said his administration was “very close” to a deal to find a buyer for TikTok, which faces a US ban if not sold by its Chinese owner by the weekend. “We’re very close to a deal with a very good group of people,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One, adding that
    Read More

    President Donald Trump said his administration was “very close” to a deal to find a buyer for TikTok, which faces a US ban if not sold by its Chinese owner by the weekend. “We’re very close to a deal with a very good group of people,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One, adding that

    Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Minister Umahi faults Lagos Works Controller over Independence Bridge closure 

    Kwara Govt signs agreement to upgrade Omu-Aran general hospital to teaching hospital  

    Ex-Minister to reward Sterling bank for halting transfer charges

    Ex-Minister to reward Sterling bank for halting transfer charges

    VFD Group reports N11.2 billion profit as investment income soars 

    Okomu Oil declares Final Dividend of N26 for registered members 

    DBNC 2025: Navigating challenges, seizing opportunities in a transforming Nigeria 

    PAC Capital Limited Named Best Transaction Advisory Firm in Nigeria at the Grand Annual Awards Ceremony 2025 

    Footwear brand, Nike loses $10 billion in valuation over Trump tariffs 

    Antimicrobial resistance puts financial strain on Nigeria’s healthcare system – Experts warn 

    INEC blocks ‘further action’ on Natasha Akpoti’s withdrawal from NASS amid feud with Akpabio 

    Truecaller surpasses 450 million users as growth accelerates in Nigeria, other markets 

    UNICEF donates over 2.5 million doses of oral polio vaccines to Bauchi state 

    Tinubu approves N20 billion for space agency to regulate Nigeria’s space sector 

    China threatens countermeasures as Trump’s tariffs escalate trade tensions 

    JAMB releases 2025 UTME-Mock notification slip for printing 

    JP Morgan seeks merchant banking licence from CBN to bolster African presence 

    EU prepares retaliatory tariffs as Trump’s trade policies spark global economic concerns 

    Lagosians suffer “worst traffic gridlock ever” as Independence Bridge repairs cause widespread chaos 

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Bitcoin dips to $82,000 amid global trade tensions triggered by Trump tariffs 

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Elon Musk’s Neuralink begins global recruitment for research on brain implants 

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Nigeria, Japan partner on Naira-denominated venture capital fund to boost startups 

    South Africa’s PIC invests $40 million in Africa50 for infrastructure development 

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    Netflix enhances language options on TV to attract global viewers 

    Court jails another convicted airline passenger for 3 months over non-declaration of $30,000 in Lagos 

    CBN denies fake circular introducing N5,000 and N10,000 notes 

    Nigerian Military, Briech UAS unveil Africa’s first indigenous attack drones and bombs 

    Billionaire Bezos’ Amazon makes eleventh-hour bid for TikTok 

    Market Wrap: All-Share ends in the red, slips by 0.12% as UPDCREIT and AFRIPRUD shine 

    Lagos eyes N5 billion in sales at 2025 tourism fair 

    Amazon, OnlyFans founder join race to acquire TikTok as April 5 deadline nears 

    FG reopens Lagos Independence Bridge ahead of schedule, opts for palliative fixes 

    E-FRAUD AND DIGITAL BANKING SECURITY