Russia’s defence ministry on Saturday said Ukraine had increased its attacks on Russian energy infrastructure, hitting targets 14 times in the last 24 hours despite a US-brokered moratorium.

The ministry, in a statement published on Telegram, said Ukraine multiplied the number of unilateral attacks using drones and artillery shells on the energy infrastructure of Russian regions.

According to the ministry, the strikes had caused damage in Russia’s Bryansk, Belgorod, Smolensk, Lipetsk and Voronezh regions, as well as the Ukrainian regions of Luhansk and Kherson, parts of which Russia controls.

Ukraine’s military, in its own statement on Telegram, said that the reports were fake, stating that its forces were only striking military targets.

It has previously said it halted strikes on Russian energy facilities on March 18.

DAILY POST reports that Russia and Ukraine agreed last month to a US proposal for a 30-day moratorium on striking each other’s energy infrastructure.

Both sides have since repeatedly accused each other of violating the deal.

The deal was said to be part of a wider diplomatic push by US President Donald Trump since his return to office in January to end the conflict.

Ukraine ‘multiplying’ energy attacks despite US-brokered moratorium – Russia