Retired Soldiers Barricade Finance Ministry Over Non-Payment of Entitlements

Linus Aleke in Abuja

A crowd of retired military pensioners barricaded the main entrance to the Federal Ministry of Finance in Abuja yesterday to protest the non-payment of their statutory entitlements.

The angry-looking military retirees erected canopies at the main entrance to the ministry to express their anger against the federal government and pressed home their demand for immediate payment of outstanding shortfalls in their gratuity, Security Debarment Allowance (SDA), and Parking Allowance.

The visibly hungry, tired, yet fierce-looking, the retirees rebuffed a spirited effort by a senior military officer to try to pacify them. They insisted that their demands must be met before any dialogue could commence.

One of the leaders of the protest, Corporal Umar Faruq (rtd), expressed regrets over alleged Pension Board’s deliberate neglect of the retirees who had given all their youthful energies to the service of the nation.

Faruq stated that the Military Pensions Board had informed them that they were not entitled to the new national minimum wage adjustments, citing their disengagement date of July 1, 2024 as the basis.

He explained, “This is unacceptable. We gave our best years to the nation. Many of us are suffering while the system continues to deny us what is rightfully ours.”

A protester who identified himself as Mohamed Kabiru, a retired Sergeant, narrated the sordid state of many ex-soldiers after years of loyal service.

Kabiru said, “They didn’t pay us our full money. They promised us a parking allowance; they didn’t pay it. We gave our lives for this country, yet we are treated as if we don’t matter.”

Questioning the value the federal government attached to the sacrifices of serving and retired personnel, Kabiru stated that the mouth-watering rewards to the Super Falcons for winning the 2025 AFCON showed that the government prioritised entertainment over the sacrifices of military retirees.

“I carry iron in my body from injuries sustained while in service. But they pay millions to athletes for 90 minutes of play and ignore us, who risked everything,” Lawrence Yusuf, a retired Warrant Officer, who served in the military for 31 years, said.

Yusuf said he received only N6.8 million as his gratuity, a sum he said could not buy a plot of land in Nigeria today.

According to him, “After three decades of sacrifice, this is what I get? It’s disgraceful. They also refused to pay our SDA and other entitlements.”

The protesters claimed the government was using a 2019 salary structure to compute their payments, despite adjustments made to the national minimum wage and military allowances since 2024.

They stressed that the outdated payment system had been a key part of their frustration. The protesters also decried being pressured to leave military barracks without receiving the packing allowance meant to facilitate their relocation.

“They didn’t pay us the money to move out, yet they’re evicting us,” one of them further lamented.

Noting that this systemic neglect had gone on for generations, the protesters said, “They did this to our fathers and older brothers in the military. If we don’t speak up now, the same injustice will continue with the next generation.”

While the protest caused temporary disruptions at the finance ministry, the Permanent Secretary for Special Duties finally addressed the angry protesters.

Speaking on behalf of Minister of Finance and the Economic Coordination Team, Edun, he acknowledged their grievances and assured them of the government’s willingness to resolve the matter.

“You are entitled to these benefits. I give you my word, we will sit with your leaders and find a solution. We have acted on similar issues before and will do so again,” he stated.

Despite the assurances, the protesters vowed to continue their advocacy until their demands were fully met.

They stated their demonstration was not just for themselves, but to prevent future military retirees from experiencing the same injustice.

“We are federal workers. We gave everything to this country. If nothing is done now, national morale and security will suffer,” one of them said.

They called on President Bola Tinubu to intervene directly and ensure that the rights and sacrifices of Nigeria’s retired military personnel were not ignored.

But when contacted, Public Relations Officer, Military Pension Board, Sqn Ldr. Ahmed Mohammed, blamed the protest on a breach of communication between the authorities and the protesting retirees.

He stated that some of the issues raised by the retirees fell outside the mandate of the Military Pension Board.

“For instance, the issue of parking allowances has to do with the respective services. Our brief is basically to pay pensions and gratuities. The Security Debarment Allowance is for the Defence Headquarters, so it is also not the Military Pension Board’s responsibility.

“The shortfall they are claiming is not the fault of the authorities because they retired when the budget for the fiscal year was already running and the new minimum wage was not captured in the budget.

“So there was no way they would have been paid when there was no running budget for the new minimum wage. But those who retired after them were paid up to date because the new minimum wage was already captured in the budget when they exited from service.”

He, however, assured that the shortfall was being processed by the relevant government agencies and would be paid as soon as it was ready.

He regretted that the retirees had chosen to protest instead of engaging with the relevant authorities to find out the true state of affairs regarding their grievances.

The post Retired Soldiers Barricade Finance Ministry Over Non-Payment of Entitlements appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

​  

  • Related Posts

    2027: Obidient Movement Sensitises Nigerians in Imo on Need to Get PVCs

    2027: Obidient Movement Sensitises Nigerians in Imo on Need to Get PVCs

    Amby Uneze in Owerri 

    The Imo State chapter of the Obidient Movement has vowed to mobilise millions of Nigerians into organised voting blocs to protect the integrity of the 2027 elections and ensure that the people’s mandate can no longer be stolen.

    The State Coordinator, Anukanti Vigilius Chukwuka, who addressed journalists in Owerri, capital of Imo State, yesterday urged Nigerians from the ages of 18 and above to go and get registered and possess their Permanent Voter’s Cards (PVCs) which would enable them to vote and be voted for as patriotic citizens of the country.

    According to the Obidient Movement, “we have come not just as members of a movement, but as citizens united by a common, urgent belief: that A New Nigeria is Possible.

    The Coordinator said, “For too long, we have watched as the promise of our great nation has been stifled. We have endured the hardship of unaffordable food, the fear of insecure communities, and the frustration of systems that do not work. We have seen our best and brightest leave, not by choice, but by necessity. This is not the Nigeria we were promised. This is not the Nigeria we deserve.

    “But lamentation is not a strategy. Hope is not a plan. Today, the Obidient Movement, Imo State Chapter, is excited to move from hope to action. In response to the national clamour to rescue our beloved nation, we are officially launching our statewide campaign: “A New Nigeria is Possible – Get Your PVC and GO MERD.”

    “What is GO MERD? It is our blueprint, our battle cry, and our promise. Get Organised – Make Election Rigging Difficult.

    “It underscores our new, focused mission as we head into the 2027 election season. We plan to mobilise millions of Nigerians into organised voting blocs to protect the integrity of our elections and ensure that the people’s mandate can no longer be stolen,” he said.

    “The mission of the movement in the state is to galvanise every polling unit to make every Obidient to either lead or join a voting bloc of at least 100 Nigerians, insisting, we will work tirelessly to achieve 100 per cent PVC ownership in each and every one of these blocs. The Permanent Voter’s Card is not just a piece of plastic; it is your power. If the PVC wasn’t important, politicians wouldn’t be paying to have it stolen or bought,” he added.

    “Their plan of action includes, calling on every committed Obidient in Imo State to immediately register on Obidients.com and create their voting bloc, adding, “your duty is to recruit members, track their PVC status, and prepare your bloc to vote as one united front in 2027.

    “Again, they intend to mobilise door-to-door, from the streets of Owerri to the villages, using flyers, megaphones, and community influencers to spread the message including engaging market associations, religious centres, youth groups, and unions.” 

    The movement, however, urged INEC to recruit more hands in ad hoc capacity so as to get all interested people register, and appealed to the state government and security agencies to provide security to the staff of the commission to enable hitch-free registration.

    “I call on every man and woman in Imo State who believes in a better future to take part in this campaign. Do not leave it for others. This is our collective responsibility.

    “The path from frustration to transformation is clear. We can save Nigeria. We can make election rigging difficult. And together, as one organised, determined, and powerful force, we, the people of Imo State, will prove to the world that A New Nigeria is Possible,” the state Coordinator stated.

    The post 2027: Obidient Movement Sensitises Nigerians in Imo on Need to Get PVCs appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    ​  

    Amby Uneze in Owerri  The Imo State chapter of the Obidient Movement has vowed to mobilise millions of Nigerians into organised voting blocs to protect the integrity of the 2027 elections
    The post 2027: Obidient Movement Sensitises Nigerians in Imo on Need to Get PVCs appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    Wike: Rivers Emergency Rule Expires September 18

    Wike: Rivers Emergency Rule Expires September 18

    *Describes LG elections as peaceful

    Blessing Ibunge in Port Harcourt

    Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has said with the conduct of the local government election in the State Saturday, the coast is now clear to end the state of emergency in the state, which he said would expire on September 18.

    Despite the controversy that marked the August 30 Local Government Council election, Wike hailed residents of the state and the electoral body for what he described as a peaceful election.

    The FCT Minister, who is a former governor of the state, made the assertion Saturday while speaking with journalists shortly after casting his vote at Unit 007, Ward 9, Rumueprikom in Obio/Akpor local government area of the state.

    Responding to questions from journalists at the polling unit, Wike said “Having done this, then the coast is clear for the state of emergency to be lifted, meaning that the local government has representatives, the state government has its own elected representatives, so we are good to go”.

    Wike who expressed the optimism that by September 18, this year, the emergency rule will be lifted, noted that all suspended elected government officers would be restored back to their positions.

    “I do know that by September 18, the state of emergency will expire, and that would mean that the state governor and state assembly will come back to their job, and we will have a government at the grassroots level,” he said.

    Speaking on the conduct of the election, Wike said “I am very happy. It means that people identify with the election”.

    Wike, who was surrounded by supporters, dismissed concerns about voter apathy.

    “You have not heard of any violence. You have not heard of carrying ballot boxes. You see that the electoral materials are there. People are there casting their votes. As far as we are concerned, the election is very peaceful.

    “Of course we are concerned about low turnout] but people are trooping out. Before the election closes, you will see the number of persons. So, we are very happy that, at the end of the day, this election has been conducted very peacefully and successfully.

    The post Wike: Rivers Emergency Rule Expires September 18 appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    ​  

    *Describes LG elections as peaceful Blessing Ibunge in Port Harcourt Minister of Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has said with the conduct of the local government election in the
    The post Wike: Rivers Emergency Rule Expires September 18 appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Top 10 countries to migrate to for better salaries and career growth in 2025 

    Tetracore Energy Commissions 6.2MMscfd Phase II CNG Facility in Ogun State, strengthening Nigeria’s clean energy drive 

    Top 10 remittance apps Nigerians abroad use for sending and receiving money  

    All-Share Index posts modest 0.31% August gain — how did the sectors perform? 

    Data consumption in Nigeria hits all-time high in July despite decline in subscriptions 

    Recalibrating Nigeria’s tax-based incentive regime: From PSI to EDTI

    Naira closes August with slight gain against Dollar in Nigerian forex market

    We’re Making Vehicle Ownership Easier for Nigerians, Says Carloha

    We’re Making Vehicle Ownership Easier for Nigerians, Says Carloha

    AGF Defends Dropping of High-Profile Cases, Says No Political Influence

    Ogun Govt releases 130 hectares for Ijebu-Ode Inland Dry Port project 

    Nigeria’s data center market to grow from $278 million in 2024 to $671 million by 2030 – NCSP

    Budget reports delayed by project checks, fiscal transition – Budget office

    Budget reports delayed by project checks, fiscal transition – Budget office

    African airlines record 9.4% growth in air cargo demand in July 2025 – IATA

    African airlines record 2.8% passenger demand growth in July 2025 – IATA 

    Cornerstone Vs. Mansard: Which Insurance stock is the better bet now? 

    GTCO increases GTBank’s paid-up capital to N504 Billion 

    Cornerstone Insurance announces appointment of Omonkhogbe as Emeka Ogbechie exit director role 

    GTCO Injects N365.85 billion into GTBank to meet CBN’s recapitalisation mandate 

    Top 10 states by FAAC net allocation in H1 2025; Delta, Rivers, Lagos top allocation chart 

    Spiro makes strategic push into Nigeria’s Electric Motorcycle Market

    All On Chairman urges bold investments to bridge energy gap in Nigeria 

    NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

    Champion Breweries will own 80% of Bullet – David Butler, CEO of enJOYcorp

    Unified Payments marks 28 years of excellence in financial innovation and economic empowerment 

    Tony Elumelu reveals 3 leadership lessons from becoming a bank manager at 27 

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    SCOA, RTBRISCOE lead gainers as All-Share Index slips 0.49% 

    The rise of Villager: How Uche Cole is building the Zara of Africa from the ground up

    Youth empowered podcast showcases bold startup journeys in Nigeria

    FG secures 200 hectares in Lekki Free Trade Zone for building materials hub 

    Marketing: An Art or a Science?

    Customs Agents Seek Waiver for Imported Goods Held Up at Ports Due to Glitches

    Redefining the Cocoa Trade and Nigerian Agriculture

    Domestic Air Travellers Lament over Prohibitive Cost of Flight Ticket