NNPC Continues Reform, Names Ewubare COO, Adesua Dozie Company Secretary

*Picks Dagazau as EVP downstream, Sophia Mbakwe EVP business services 

*Shareholders ratify appointments of GCEO, others 

*Kyari formally hands over to Ojulari

Emmanuel Addeh in Abuja

The Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPC) has ramped up its new restructuring drive with the appointment of Roland Ewubare as its Group Chief Operating Officer and erstwhile top ExxonMobil’s official, Adesua Dozie,  as its Company Secretary and Chief Legal Officer.

Also, the national oil company, picked Mumuni Dagazau as the new Executive Vice President (EVP) Downstream and Sophia Mbakwe as Executive Vice President Business Services.

The new appointments followed the removal of the former chairman, Chief Pius Akinyelure and the Group Chief Executive Officer, Mallam Mele Kyari and other members of the NNPC board as well as their replacement with a new board chaired by Ahmadu Kida and Bayo Ojulari as the new GCEO.

In a letter dated April 2, 2025, seen by THISDAY yesterday, the ‘shareholders’ of the NNPC also ratified all the appointments made so far in compliance with the relevant laws.

THISDAY recalls that having not listed on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NGX), the statutory shareholders of the NNPC are the Ministry of Finance Incorporated (MOFI) and the Ministry of Petroleum Incorporated (MOPI), each holding half of the shares on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria.

In the official communication by one of the statutory shareholders, the Ministry of Finance, the federal government stated that the company’s new leadership is expected to focus and achieve a number of fundamental objectives, including increasing crude oil and gas production as well as strengthening domestic refining capacity of both state-owned and private sector entities.

In a separate resolution, the shareholders authorised the Board of Directors “to do all such things including without limitation to signing such documents, directing such committees or person(s), if any, as may be required by law and the Memorandum and Articles of Association of the Company to give effect to the resolutions.”

Besides, they authorised the company secretary  to make all requisite filings at the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) of the updated list.

NNPC confirmed this in a brief statement signed by its Chief Corporate Communications Officer, Mr. Olufemi Soneye.

Also yesterday, the new GCEO  of the NNPC Ltd officially took over the reins of the company from his predecessor, Kyari.  

In a brief handover ceremony at the NNPC Towers, the GCEO commended Kyari for his contributions to the growth of NNPC and his sterling service to the nation. He disclosed that the objective of his management was to consolidate on the successes of his predecessor and take the company to the next level.

He said though the targets set for his management were quite challenging, he would be relying on the cooperation of the management and staff of the company, as well as the counsel of his predecessor to achieve the target,” a statement by the NNPC’s spokesman, Olufemi Soneye, said.

“I will be counting on your support. I will need it. I will be coming around to seek your counsel,” Ojulari told Kyari.

Earlier in his remarks, Kyari congratulated Ojulari and thanked the management and staff of the company for their support while in office. He pledged to do everything in his power to support the new management to succeed, stressing that he was only a call away.

But in the letter making and ratifying the new appointments, signed by the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Wale Edun, he stated that the appointment of the new leadership of NNPC was a bold measure for the achievement of the Renewed Hope Agenda of the Bola Tinubu administration.
“Mr Chairman, let me begin by congratulating you on your appointment by Mr President as Chairman of the Board of Directors of the NNPC. It is a testament to the confidence in your ability to guide and to lead at this critical moment in our country’s developmental journey.

“Further to the announcement of the new Board of Directors NNPC by His Excellency President Bola Ahmed Tinubu,  based on the vision to comprehensively transform Nigeria’s energy industry, the company’s leadership is expected to focus and achieve a number of fundamental objectives including increasing crude oil and gas production, strengthening domestic refining capacity of both state-owned and private sector entities, attracting and promoting strategic investments across the entire energy value chain.

“As you are aware, the achievement of these and other objectives are not matters to be driven solely by the Board of Directors but also the Management Team of NNPC. In this regard, to deliver on the vision of Mr President, the shareholders of NNPC have passed the enclosed written resolution directing the Board of Directors of the Company to immediately appoint a new management team to superintend the day-to-day administration of the Company.

“In your capacity as the Chairman of the Board of Directors, you are to take all! measures required to give effect to these resolutions with dispatch. The appointment of the new leadership of NNPC is a bold measure for the achievement of the Renewed Hope Agenda of the Tinubu administration; it must therefore operate with impeccable integrity, accountability and unparalleled efficiency to compete with other reputable energy companies around the world and deliver meaningful value to the Federation and Nigerians.

“As the Honourable Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, I regard the operations and activities of the Company as critical to the economic stability of the country. Therefore, my office will work with the NNPC to position it as an enabler of economic prosperity, energy security and industrial growth of the country for the benefit of all,” Edun stated.

The shareholders also ratified the appointments of Ewubare as COO;  Adedapo Segun as Group Chief Finance Officer;  Olalekan Ogunleye as Executive Vice President Gas, Power & New Energy and Udobong Ntia as Executive Vice President,  Upstream.

Other members ratified included: Mumuni Dagazau, as Executive Vice President Downstream; Sophia Mbakwe as Executive Vice President Business Services and Adesuwa Dozie as Company Secretary & Chief Legal Officer.

The new COO, Roland Ewubare is an accomplished global business leader and administrator, recognised for his significant management roles in both Nigeria and the United States.

Most recently, he held the position of COO at the NNPC, where he oversaw two key directorates: Upstream and Ventures. He voluntarily stepped down from this role in May 2020.

Before his appointment as COO, Ewubare served as the Group General Manager of NNPC’s National Petroleum Investments Management Services, where he was responsible for managing Nigeria’s commercial partnerships with both local and international oil companies, overseeing an annual budget exceeding $15 billion.

Earlier in his career, he worked at Schlumberger, holding several high-ranking positions, including Corporate Counsel in New York, General Counsel of NPTest (a Schlumberger subsidiary) in California, and Executive Director of Schlumberger Nigeria.  

Before his tenure at Schlumberger, he was a Corporate Associate at the prestigious law firm Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP in New York.

Ewubare earned his Bachelor of Laws degree from the University of Ife in Nigeria, a Master of Laws in International Business Law from Queen Mary & Westfield College, University of London, and another Master of Laws from Harvard Law School. Additionally, he holds an Executive Certificate in High Performance Leadership from Oxford University.

Roland has also shared his expertise as a visiting lecturer at the University of Maryland (2013) and the Georgia Institute of Technology (2021), where he taught a module on Energy Policy and Climate Change. He is currently an Alumni in Residence at Harvard Law School.

​  

  • Related Posts

    Court Restrains PDP from Tempering with Dan Orbih’s South-south Leadership

    Court Restrains PDP from Tempering with Dan Orbih’s South-south Leadership

    Chuks Okocha

    A Federal High Court in Abuja presided over by Hon. Justice Inyang Ekwo, has issued a restraining order preventing the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from interfering with the leadership and activities of the Dan Orbih-led South-south Zonal Working Committee.

    The committee was elected on February 22, 2025, in Calabar, Cross River State.

    The restraining order was pending the final determination of suit number FHC/ABJ/CS/505/2025, filed by Chief Orbih and his committee members.

    The court also restrained the Chief Emmanuel Ogidi-led Caretaker Committee, appointed by the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) from parading themselves or functioning as members of the South-south Zonal Working Committee or leaders of the party in the zone.

    Justice Ekwo also ordered an expedited hearing of the main suit.

    The plaintiffs are represented by Chief Ferdinand Orbih, SAN, while the 2nd, 11th, and 12th defendants are represented by B. F. Folorunsho, and the 3rd to 6th defendants by M. S. Atolagbe.

    The 7th to 9th defendants are represented by Eno Idem, SAN.

    The case was adjourned to Friday, April 11, 2025, for hearing.

    ​  

    Chuks Okocha A Federal High Court in Abuja presided over by Hon. Justice Inyang Ekwo, has issued a restraining order preventing the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from interfering with the leadership and

    Abia Beams Searchlight on Traditional Rulers over Alleged Complicity in Crime

    Abia Beams Searchlight on Traditional Rulers over Alleged Complicity in Crime

    .Says those harbouring criminals would be treated as criminals

    Emmanuel Ugwu-Nwogo in Umuahia

    Abia State Government has said that traditional rulers in the state would now come under the scrutiny of security agencies to determine those either directly involved in criminal activities or in aiding and abetting crime.

    Commissioner for Information, Prince Okey Kanu, made this known yesterday while briefing the media on the outcome of the State Executive Council meeting for the first week of April 2025.

    He said that security agencies were asked to start beaming their searchlights on the royal fathers following the rescue of a prominent Abia billionaire businessman, Chief Obasi Lawson, who was abducted on March 4, 2025 at Azumi in Ukwa East Local Government.

    The State Police Command had said that Lawson was abducted by gunmen at about 7p.m. fateful day, adding that both his driver and a security aide were killed by the hoodlums.

    Though Kanu did not give details on how the businessman regained his freedom, as it has to do with “security matters”, he stated that it has become necessary to sieve traditional rulers in order to ascertain those harbouring criminals in their domains.

    He said that any royal father found to be harbouring criminals would be treated as one, adding that the government had previously warned traditional rulers and community leaders against providing cover for criminals.

    “The state government is frowning seriously at this (harbouring criminals) and the warning is that if you are caught in the act of harbouring criminals, you will be treated as one,” Kanu stated.

    The Information Commissioner equally warned town union leaders against looking the other way while crime is being committed, insisting that they must be vigilant and report to security agencies all cases of suspicious movements.

    “Let me reiterate the old cliche that ‘when you see something, you say something’. We have to even go further to say that when you see something, take action by making discreet reports to the security agencies,” Kanu said.

    The Abia government spokesman stressed the need for Abia residents to remain vigilant, adding that town unions and traditional rulers must be alive to their duties of keeping watch over their domains.

    Meanwhile, the Alex Otti administration has announced that it would discontinue the age-long practice of maintenance works on the 19.5 kilometre Umuahia-Bende federal road.

    According to the Information Commissioner, government has seen the futility of the doing palliative works on a road that has long exhausted its lifespan saying that the road has been recommended for total reconstruction.

    He said that the decision to reconstruct the road was based on the report by the State Ministry of Works which stated that Umuahia-Bende Road long expired hence there is no economical value in continuous maintenance of the road.

    However, Kanu pointed out a snag in embarking on the total reconstruction of the road, saying that “the road is a federal road and there will be necessary interactions between the state government and federal authorities.”

    He hinted that once the federal authorities give the green light, Abia would commence full rehabilitation of the road and end the perennial patch-ups that served no purpose.

    ​  

    .Says those harbouring criminals would be treated as criminals Emmanuel Ugwu-Nwogo in Umuahia Abia State Government has said that traditional rulers in the state would now come under the scrutiny of

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    French aerospace company Dassault Aviation considers setting up MRO facility at Ogun’s Gateway Airport 

    BREAKING: Nigeria’s total public debt hits N144.67 trillion in December 2024 

    Navy destroys illegal refining sites, seizes vessels across states in March operation 

    YouTube increases YouTube Premium service price by 54% in Nigeria 

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    NNPC’s New Board and CBN’s Reserve Truth | Drinks and Mics

    Meningitis: Nigeria receives over 1 million doses of Men5CV vaccine to combat outbreak 

    Gospel artists Nathaniel Bassey, Mercy Chinwo make YouTube’s most streamed Nigerian Acts globally in Q1 2025 

    NGX Lotus Islamic Index emerges as best-performing index in Q1 2025 with a gain of 8.56% 

    Top performing stocks on the NGX in Q1 2025 

    Minister Hails Dangote Cement Over Youth Development in Host Community

    Fraud Fight Now More Urgent, Expert Insists

    Between Power Bikes And Smartphones

    GMW: Access Bank Empowers Teens with Financial Literacy Skills

    Between High Inflation and Your Savings

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    P-CNGi, LNG Arete Ltd. sign $27.3 million agreement to boost CNG infrastructure in Northern Nigeria 

    All-Share holds steady above N66 trillion, slips by 0.01%; UBA and UCAP lead trading volume 

    FCT minister inaugurates solar-powered farmers’ Market in Utako 

    US tariffs may shrink Global Trade by 1% – WTO DG

    Trump extends TikTok deadline by 75 days, citing need for further approvals

    EcoBank asks Court to restrain Otudeko’s Son and others from selling 6.3 billion shares 

    WTO warns of 1% global trade contraction amid US tariff measures

    WTO warns of 1% global trade contraction amid US tariff measures

    Trump’s new 14% tariff could hit Nigeria hard — here’s how

    President Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as new Managing Director of Bank of Agriculture 

    TECO Group Calls for More Innovators to Tackle Agrifood Industry Challenges 

    Denmark business school opens 2025 applications for fully funded PhD scholarships in AI and Statistics 

    SITA Redefines Airport Operations, Acquires CCM

    Official Statement from inDrive on Recent Ride-Hailing Industry Developments 

    Billionaire Zuckerberg’s net worth drops $17.9 billion as Meta stocks dip  

    Forex losses push International Breweries to N111.8 billion loss in 2024 

    FCMB Group reports pre-tax profit of N111.8 billion as interest and operating income surge 

    CBN links foreign debt service to $2.57 billion drop in FX reserves in Q1 2025