Nigerian workers decide on potential strike as minimum wage report awaits presidential action

Organised labour has revealed plans to hold an emergency meeting over the next line of action as the national minimum wage tripartite committee submits a report to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Spokesperson of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Benson Upah, disclosed this to DAILY POST in an exclusive telephone interview on Monday.

According to him, the outcome of the meeting will determine whether organized labour will resume its strike action in the coming days.

“The appropriate organs of the two unions will meet, and once they do, whatever decision they make will be communicated to the public,” Upah said.

However, he did not disclose the specific date the meeting would be held.

Recall that after the minimum wage tripartite committee met on Monday, the federal government offered N62,000 as the minimum wage, while organized labour insisted on N250,000.

Part of the report includes N57,000 and N62,000 minimum wage proposals by state governors and the organized private sector, respectively.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) confirmed receiving the tripartite committee report on Monday.

This development has turned attention to President Tinubu, who is expected to act on the report and pass an executive bill on the minimum wage to the National Assembly ahead of June 12, Nigeria’s Democracy Day celebrations.

Meanwhile, NLC President Joe Ajaero, speaking on Monday at the International Labour Conference in Geneva, Switzerland, ruled out the resumption of the strike on Tuesday. He noted that organized labour is waiting for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s decision on the report submitted by the tripartite committee.

“We are waiting for the decision of the President. Our National Executive Council (NEC) will deliberate on the new figure when it is out,” he said.

Recall that organized labour suspended last Monday’s indefinite strike, which shut down the country’s economy for a week.

The federal government had previously offered N60,000 as the minimum wage, which organized labour rejected. The new minimum offer of N62,000 is only N2,000 more than the old offer. Ajaero noted that the difference between N62,000 and N250,000 (Labour’s proposed minimum wage) is a wide gulf.

Nigerian workers decide on potential strike as minimum wage report awaits presidential action

  • Related Posts

    EXCLUSIVE: Sex-For-Marks Scandal Rocks Lagos Public Secondary School As Management Attempts To Cover Up Teacher’s ‘Abuse Of 11 Girls’

    SaharaReporters has obtained damning audio recordings of the victims narrating their ordeal at the hands of the disgraced teacher.  ArticlesRead More 

    BREAKING: INEC Rejects Petition To Recall Senator Natasha, Cites Failure To Meet Constitutional Requirements

    The electoral body made this revelation on Thursday afternoon in a post on its official X (formerly Twitter) handle.   ArticlesRead More 

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Tinubu approves N20 billion for space agency to regulate Nigeria’s space sector 

    China threatens countermeasures as Trump’s tariffs escalate trade tensions 

    JAMB releases 2025 UTME-Mock notification slip for printing 

    JP Morgan seeks merchant banking licence from CBN to bolster African presence 

    EU prepares retaliatory tariffs as Trump’s trade policies spark global economic concerns 

    Lagosians suffer “worst traffic gridlock ever” as Independence Bridge repairs cause widespread chaos 

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Bitcoin dips to $82,000 amid global trade tensions triggered by Trump tariffs 

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Elon Musk’s Neuralink begins global recruitment for research on brain implants 

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Nigeria, Japan partner on Naira-denominated venture capital fund to boost startups 

    South Africa’s PIC invests $40 million in Africa50 for infrastructure development 

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    Netflix enhances language options on TV to attract global viewers 

    Court jails another convicted airline passenger for 3 months over non-declaration of $30,000 in Lagos 

    CBN denies fake circular introducing N5,000 and N10,000 notes 

    Nigerian Military, Briech UAS unveil Africa’s first indigenous attack drones and bombs 

    Billionaire Bezos’ Amazon makes eleventh-hour bid for TikTok 

    Market Wrap: All-Share ends in the red, slips by 0.12% as UPDCREIT and AFRIPRUD shine 

    Lagos eyes N5 billion in sales at 2025 tourism fair 

    Amazon, OnlyFans founder join race to acquire TikTok as April 5 deadline nears 

    FG reopens Lagos Independence Bridge ahead of schedule, opts for palliative fixes 

    E-FRAUD AND DIGITAL BANKING SECURITY

    Petroleum Minister, Lokpobiri Lauds Caverton as a Leader in Aviation Industry 

    Sterling Bank Leads Protest for Removal of Bank Transfer Charges

    SMEs Tasked with Creativity  to Compete  with Industry Giants

    Leadway Pensure  Highlights Benefits of Additional  Voluntary Contributions

    Empowering Local Communities through CSR

    Addressing SMEs’ Cash Flow Challenges with FinTech Solutions

    FG, Relevant Bodies  Urged to Support Training of Actuarial Scientists

    List of countries facing Trump tariffs from the United States, Nigeria escapes for now

    PalmPay Unveils New Debit Card in Partnership with Verve, Marks Its Evolution into Full-Service Digital Banking 

    FCT minister approves recruitment of 34 resident doctors for seven-year training to boost healthcare

    World Bank approves $1.08 billion loan to Nigeria for education, nutrition, and economic resilience 

    BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses PDP, Asue Ighodalo’s petition against Edo Governor, Monday Okpebholo’s election