NEC okays $1bn agric consortium project, mum on minimum wage

The 36 state governors on Thursday kept mum on the vexed minimum wage issue. They also did not broach the matter despite meeting with President Bola Tinubu who participated in the closed-door session.

Specifically, President Tinubu in fulfilment of his promise to consult and engage widely before making a recommendation on the minimum wage imbroglio to the National Assembly, attended the meeting constitutionally presided over by the vice president.

But the governors who attended the National Economic Council (NEC) maintained a silent disposition over the wage issue while briefing newsmen after their closed-door meeting at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.

The governors on Wednesday met and took a position which, it was believed, would have tabled before the President at the meeting held inside the Council chamber.

Recall that the NGF had earlier insisted that they cannot pay the N60,000 earlier proposed by the federal government during the minimum wage negotiations at the 37-man tripartite committee meeting

The federal government however increased the amount to N62,000 while the organised labour rejected the offer and requested for N250,000 as minimum wage.

Addressing State House correspondents after the meeting, Imo State Governor, Hope Uzodinma, disclosed that the ad hoc committee on crude oil theft and the economy, briefed the Council on the plans to halt crude oil theft.

He said, “We identified areas of leakages and made recommendations to strengthen the regulatory framework”

He, however, disclosed that the committee’s plan is work in progress and assured that it will come up with the full recommendations soon.

Minister of Agriculture and Food Security, Abubakar Kyari, who gave detailed information bothering on agriculture and food security, disclosed that the federal government has distributed 42,000 metric tonnes of grains, 20 trailers of rice, as well as released 1,500,000 bags of fertiliser to states, which are now awaiting evacuation by the state governments.

On the agriculture mechanisation programme, the minister stated that the council received briefing and approved the Greener Hope Agric mechanisation consortium, a ten year programme totaling $1bn investments

The consortium is expected to set up 1000 agro centres with service providers across the country.

The centres are also expected to engage about 600,000 youths, providing 2000 tractors yearly, for the next five years.

The project was earlier approved by the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

Others include the John Dere/ Tata tractors arrangements and the 2000 tractors to be supplied per year, with the establishment of 52 service and maintenance centres.

The tractors will be delivered in the next 60 days, the minister said.

He also disclosed that the Saudi Arabia government has requested for 200,000 metric tonnes of red meat yearly and 1m metric tonnes of soya beans.

“The request is part of the fall out of the President’s visit to Saudi Arabia,” he said.

The post NEC okays $1bn agric consortium project, mum on minimum wage appeared first on Guardian Nigeria News.

  • Related Posts

    Soludo’s wife hails 15-year-old’s Guinness World record painting

    The Anambra State governor’s wife, Dr Nonye Soludo, has congratulated a 15-year-old painting talent, Kanyeyachukwu Tagbo-Okeke, who just set a Guinness World Record with the painting of the world’s largest canvas. Tagbo-Okeke, who is living with autism, made history when his work was unveiled at the Eagle’s Square, Abuja, on April 2, as the largest
    Read More

    The Anambra State governor’s wife, Dr Nonye Soludo, has congratulated a 15-year-old painting talent, Kanyeyachukwu Tagbo-Okeke, who just set a Guinness World Record with the painting of the world’s largest canvas. Tagbo-Okeke, who is living with autism, made history when his work was unveiled at the Eagle’s Square, Abuja, on April 2, as the largest

    Read More

    Global electricity demand surged 4.3% in 2024 – IEA 

    The International Energy Agency has reported a sharp increase in global electricity demand, which surged by 4.3% in 2024, marking a significant rise from the 2.5% growth recorded in 2023. The newly released Global Energy Review 2025 on Friday attributes this surge to rising electrification across multiple sectors, extreme weather conditions, and growing industrial activity.
    Read More

    The International Energy Agency has reported a sharp increase in global electricity demand, which surged by 4.3% in 2024, marking a significant rise from the 2.5% growth recorded in 2023. The newly released Global Energy Review 2025 on Friday attributes this surge to rising electrification across multiple sectors, extreme weather conditions, and growing industrial activity.

    Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Billionaire Zuckerberg’s net worth drops $17.9 billion as Meta stocks dip  

    Forex losses push International Breweries to N111.8 billion loss in 2024 

    FCMB Group reports pre-tax profit of N111.8 billion as interest and operating income surge 

    CBN links foreign debt service to $2.57 billion drop in FX reserves in Q1 2025 

    Dangote among global billionaires who lost combined $208 billion in one day from Trump tariffs 

    Nairametrics set to host first-ever Capital Market Choice Awards (NCMA) 

    eDryv: A Game-Changer in Urban Mobility 

    BREAKING: Court bars Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, and Senate from granting interviews over alleged misconduct case 

    Unfair credit ratings pushing up costs of borrowing for African countries – ECA 

    China retaliates with 34% tariffs on US imports, escalating trade war 

    Nigeria seeks fresh $10.50 million World Bank loan to boost CBN’s technical capacity 

    Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags    

    realme C75: Unbreakable Champion Beyond Quality—Redefining Smartphone Durability in Nigeria 

    House of Tara enters a new era: Meet the new Managing Director

    Lagos Independence Bridge to reopen on Sunday, traffic to be restricted to half carriageway – Umahi 

    World’s 2nd richest, Bezos loses $16 billion in 24 hours as Amazon shares fall 

    Brent Crude down by $10 a Barrel, Worst day since 2022

    Why Trump’s reciprocal tariffs may have less direct impact on Africa—Afreximbank Research 

    European organization offers job opportunities with work visa sponsorships for international applicants 

    Top 10 Nigerian stockbrokers by transaction value in Q1 2025 

    Nigerian Senate to address critical Tax Reform Bills after Easter holidays 

    Court orders final forfeiture of FIRS staff’s Abuja, Kano properties over alleged money laundering  

    Trump Tariffs: Why US matters less to Nigeria’s trade story – New report

    EFCC boss vows to tackle non-performing loans  associated with fraud across Nigeria  

    ISA 2025: Nigeria formally recognizes cryptocurrency as securities in new SEC Act 2025 

    Mining Marshals shut down illegal site in Nasarawa, arrest three foreigners 

    SON issues 107 product certifications to 44 companies in Anambra 

    Kwara Government partners IsDB to invest $57.2 million in livestock and rural development 

    Robust frameworks needed for transparent local government fund management in Nigeria – ICPC 

    ICPC re-arraigns Professor Igbinoba over alleged degree peddling and forgery in Benin 

    MTN Group CEO Ralph Mupita appointed as new GSMA Deputy Chair

    9PSB Records 50% Transaction Growth with Qore’s BankOne 

    Essaadi: Foreign Exchange Volatility to Persist in 2025

    Interswitch Donates to Tertiary Institutions to Boost STEM Education

    Hungarian Govt to Bolster Socio-economic Development in Sokoto

    Julius Berger rejigging infrastructural development in Rivers