Kyiv Hit by Barrage of Drone Strikes as Putin Rejects Trump’s Truce Bid

Sunday Ehigiator with agency report

One person was killed yesterday and 26 others injured after a night of intensive Russian strikes on almost every district in Kyiv, officials said.

A pall of acrid smoke hung over the Ukrainian capital yesterday, following hours of nightfall punctuated by the staccato of air defence guns, buzz of drones and large explosions. Ukraine said Russia fired a record 539 drones and 11 missiles, the BBC reported.

The strikes came hours after a call between US President Donald Trump and Russia’s Vladimir Putin, after which Trump said he was “disappointed” that Putin was not ready to end the war against Ukraine.

Moscow said the war would continue for as long as it is necessary to reach its objectives.

Russia’s overnight air strikes broke another record, Ukraine’s air force said, with 72 of the 539 drones penetrating air defences – up from a previous record of 537 launched last Saturday night.

Air raid alerts sounded for more than eight hours as several waves of attacks struck Kyiv, the “main target of the strikes”, the air force said on the messaging app Telegram.

Footage shared on social media by Ukraine’s state emergency service showed firefighters battling to extinguish fires in Kyiv after Russia’s overnight attack.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky condemned the strikes as one of the most “demonstratively significant and cynical” attacks of the war, describing a “harsh, sleepless night”.

Noting that it came directly after Putin’s call with Trump, Zelensky added in a post on Telegram: “Russia once again demonstrates that it does not intend to end the war.”

He called on international allies – particularly the US – to increase pressure on Moscow and impose greater sanctions.

Later yesterday, Zelensky and Trump held a phone call regarding the supply of US weapons, which the Ukrainian leader said was a “very important and fruitful conversation”. It came after Washington decided to halt some shipments of critical weapons to Ukraine, including those used for air defences.

“We spoke about opportunities in air defence and agreed that we will work together to strengthen protection of our skies,” Zelensky said on X.

Kyiv has warned that the move to pause some shipments would impede its ability to defend Ukraine against escalating airstrikes and Russian advances on the frontlines.

According to Ukrainian authorities, the overnight strikes damaged railway infrastructure, while schools, buildings and cars were set ablaze across Kyiv.

Poland’s Foreign Minister, Radosław Sikorski, said the Polish consulate had also been damaged.

The Russian strikes also hit the regions of Sumy, Kharkiv, Dnipropetrovsk and Chernihiv. Rescuers also found a dead body while going through the rubble in the Svyatoshynsky district, the head of the Kyiv city military administration said.

Russia’s defence ministry said the “massive strike” had been launched in response to the “terrorist acts of the Kyiv regime”.

The acting governor of Russia’s southern Rostov region said a woman was killed in a Ukrainian drone strike on a village not far from the border on Friday night.

Map showing five cities in regions in Ukraine hit by Russian air strikes on Thursday night – Kyiv, Chernihiv, Sumy, Kharkiv and Kryvyi Rih . It also shows Russia’s current military control and advances in Ukraine mostly in the east and south of the country.

Yesterday’s attacks were the latest in a string of major Russian air strikes on Ukraine that have intensified in recent weeks as ceasefire talks have largely stalled.

War in Ukraine has been raging for more than three years since Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022.

Following his conversation with Putin on Thursday, Trump said”no progress” to end the fighting had been made.

“I’m very disappointed with the conversation I had today with President Putin, because I don’t think he’s there, and I’m very disappointed,” Trump said.

“I’m just saying I don’t think he’s looking to stop, and that’s too bad.”

The Kremlin reiterated that it would continue to seek to remove “the root causes of the war in Ukraine”. Putin has sought to return Ukraine to Russia’s sphere of influence and said last week that “the whole of Ukraine is ours”.

Responding to Trump’s comments yesterday, Putin’s spokesman Dmitry Peskov told the BBC that as long as it was not possible to secure Russia’s aims through political-diplomatic means, “we are continuing our Special Military Operation” – Russia’s preferred name for the invasion.

Previously, Trump has said that the US is “giving weapons” to Ukraine, and hasn’t completely paused the flow of munitions. He blamed former President Joe Biden for “emptying out our whole country giving them weapons, and we have to make sure that we have enough for ourselves”.

Nato Secretary-General Mark Rutte, yesterday, said while he understands Washington’s needs to maintain its own weapon stockpiles, he hopes “for a level of flexibility” to make sure Ukraine also has what it needs.

Meanwhile, a German government spokesperson said they were currently in talks with the US to buy Patriot air defence systems to give to Ukraine.

​  

  • Related Posts

    Calm Returns After Police, Youths Clash in Lagos Community

    Calm Returns After Police, Youths Clash in Lagos Community

    The Police Command in Lagos State has said it has begun an investigation into a clash between some youths and some police officers at Elemoro in the Lekki area of the state.

    The command Spokesman, CSP Benjamin Hundeyin, who confirmed this in a statement on Friday in Lagos, said that the incident occurred in Onosa community in the Elemoro area.

    “Today August 29, six officers from Elemoro Division while on routine patrol encountered an irate mob.

    “In the course of ensuring their own safety, the officers used their firearms, resulting in three individuals sustaining injuries.

    “The injured persons were taken to hospital for medical attention, ” he said.

    The spokesperson said that the Commissioner of Police, Mr Olohundare Jimoh, promptly responded to the incident by personally leading a detachment of officers to the scene.

    “The swift intervention led to the removal of all barricades, restoring the free-flow of traffic in the area.

    “CP Jimoh also visited the Onosa community and engaged with youth and community leaders in the area to de-escalate tension and embrace peace.

    “He extended an invitation to the youth leaders for continued dialogue to address concerns and prevent future occurrences, ” Hundeyin said.

    The image maker said that the officers involved in the shooting had been taken into custody as investigations into the incident had begun.

    “The command is committed to a thorough and transparent inquiry to establish the facts surrounding the event.

    “Normalcy has been restored to the area and significant police presence remain in place to ensure the sustenance of the restored peace and order, ” he said.

    Hundeyin urged residents to remain calm, cooperate with law enforcement agencies, and refrain from actions that could disrupt public peace.

    According to him, further updates will be provided as the investigation progresses. (NAN)

    The post Calm Returns After Police, Youths Clash in Lagos Community appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    ​  

    The Police Command in Lagos State has said it has begun an investigation into a clash between some youths and some police officers at Elemoro in the Lekki area of
    The post Calm Returns After Police, Youths Clash in Lagos Community appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    Del-York Creative Academy, YABATECH Partner to Train 10,000 Students in Digital Creativity, Animation

    Del-York Creative Academy, YABATECH Partner to Train 10,000 Students in Digital Creativity, Animation

    Funmi Ogundare 

     The Del-York Creative Academy, an arm of Del-York Group, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Yaba College of Technology (YabaTech) to provide 10,000 students with training in digital creativity, animation, and post-production under the Youths in Animation and Post-Production Initiative (YAPPI), supported by the MasterCard Foundation.

    The partnership, signed recently at Del-York’s Victoria Island office in Lagos, is designed to bridge the gap between technical education and the global creative industry, while opening up opportunities for Nigerian youths to thrive in the $600 billion global animation and content creation market.

    Speaking at the signing, Del-York Group’s Chief Operating Officer and YAPPI Programme Lead, Mr. Ikenna Ogweike, described the initiative as more than a training programme, but a talent pipeline to position African youths as global competitors.

    “Africa has long been a consumer of global creative content, but seldom a major player in its production. Our stories have been told to us by others, like in the case of Black Panther’s Wakanda, but not built by Africans. YAPPI is here to change that,” he said.

    He explained that Nigeria currently contributes less than two per cent to the global animation market, a figure YAPPI hopes to transform by training 60,000 young people in five years. 

    The programme also provides access to mentorship, job placements, international collaborations and single-digit loans through FCMB for graduates to launch startups in the creative sector.

    The Rector of the college, Dr. Ibraheem Abdul, described the collaboration as a milestone in the institution’s mission to combine technical expertise with creative innovation.

    “This partnership is about equipping young people with skills that guarantee employability and also position them as creators and entrepreneurs in the digital space. As Nigeria’s first higher institution, Yabatech is uniquely placed to lead in this sector,” he said.

    The Director of the Centre for Linkages, Partnership and International Relations at Yabatech, Dr. Mosud Ajala, who facilitated the collaboration, emphasised that the programme would empower 10,000 students, particularly women, with free creative-tech training in digital art, animation and content creation.

    He added that YAPPI’s model of combining online and on-site training with mentorship and industry placements ensures inclusivity, with special focus on women and persons with disabilities.

    With this partnership, both institutions aim to place Nigerian youths at the forefront of the global creative economy while addressing unemployment through skills that drive entrepreneurship and global competitiveness.

    The post Del-York Creative Academy, YABATECH Partner to Train 10,000 Students in Digital Creativity, Animation appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    ​  

    Funmi Ogundare   The Del-York Creative Academy, an arm of Del-York Group, has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Yaba College of Technology (YabaTech) to provide 10,000 students with training
    The post Del-York Creative Academy, YABATECH Partner to Train 10,000 Students in Digital Creativity, Animation appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Nigeria’s data center market to grow from $278 million in 2024 to $671 million by 2030 – NCSP

    Budget reports delayed by project checks, fiscal transition – Budget office

    Budget reports delayed by project checks, fiscal transition – Budget office

    African airlines record 9.4% growth in air cargo demand in July 2025 – IATA

    African airlines record 2.8% passenger demand growth in July 2025 – IATA 

    Cornerstone Vs. Mansard: Which Insurance stock is the better bet now? 

    GTCO increases GTBank’s paid-up capital to N504 Billion 

    Cornerstone Insurance announces appointment of Omonkhogbe as Emeka Ogbechie exit director role 

    GTCO Injects N365.85 billion into GTBank to meet CBN’s recapitalisation mandate 

    Top 10 states by FAAC net allocation in H1 2025; Delta, Rivers, Lagos top allocation chart 

    Spiro makes strategic push into Nigeria’s Electric Motorcycle Market

    All On Chairman urges bold investments to bridge energy gap in Nigeria 

    NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

    Champion Breweries will own 80% of Bullet – David Butler, CEO of enJOYcorp

    Unified Payments marks 28 years of excellence in financial innovation and economic empowerment 

    Tony Elumelu reveals 3 leadership lessons from becoming a bank manager at 27 

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    SCOA, RTBRISCOE lead gainers as All-Share Index slips 0.49% 

    The rise of Villager: How Uche Cole is building the Zara of Africa from the ground up

    Youth empowered podcast showcases bold startup journeys in Nigeria

    FG secures 200 hectares in Lekki Free Trade Zone for building materials hub 

    Marketing: An Art or a Science?

    Customs Agents Seek Waiver for Imported Goods Held Up at Ports Due to Glitches

    Redefining the Cocoa Trade and Nigerian Agriculture

    Domestic Air Travellers Lament over Prohibitive Cost of Flight Ticket

    FG, Brazil Deal Spur Air Peace S’American Flight

    NAMA Receives NCAA Certificate for ATC Simulator

    Obi Cubana Commends United Nigeria Airlines  

    Kwara to Begin Cargo Services at Tunde Idiagbon Airport 

    Shareholders Applaud NASD’s Return to Profitability,First Cash Dividend

    Nigerian Printers Urged to Embrace Cost Effective Technologies 

    Zabira Marks Sixth Anniversary, Rebrand as ‘The People’s Wallet’

    FG Drums Support for Industrialisation, Manufacturing Trade Summit 

    Bitget Debuts First-ever RWA Index Perpetuals 

    NNPC under attack but transformation will continue, says GCEO Ojulari