INEC Extends CVR in Anambra

Adedayo Akinwale in Abuja

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has extended the  Continuous Voter Registration (CVR) in Anambra State.

INEC National Commissioner and Chairman, Information & Voter Education Committee, Sam Olumekun, in a statement issued yesterday, said the decision was taken after  its regular weekly meeting.

He said the meeting reviewed the ongoing preparation for the forthcoming off-cycle governorship election in Anambra State and further update on applications for registration by new political parties.

Olumekun noted: “The commission is pleased with the turnout of registrants in Anambra State and the peaceful conduct of the CVR in all the 326 registration centres in the State. 

“As of yesterday, Wednesday 16th July 2025, 96,085 new voters have successfully registered in nine days. On average, the Commission registered over 10,600 voters per day. 

“In addition, 12,595 voters applied for transfer of their registration both within and outside the State while 7,061 persons applied for the update of their records or the replacement of their damaged or lost Permanent Voters Cards (PVCs). 

“The CVR in Anambra State ends today. However, in response to appeal from citizens, the Commission hereby extends the exercise for three more days. It will now end on Sunday 20th July 2025.”

Olumekun said thereafter, the commission would display the register for claims and objections by citizens as provided by law, followed by a further clean-up of the data using the Automated Biometric Identification System (ABIS).

He explained that subsequently, the detailed breakdown of the new registrants by age, gender, occupation and disability will be published for public information. 

According to him, “at this preliminary stage, 56,017 (58 per cent) of new registrants are female while 50,429 (52.48 per cent) are young people between the ages of 18 and 34. 

Meanwhile, the commission has received five more letters of intent from associations seeking registration as political parties. 

Olumekun disclosed that this brings the number received so far to 134. 

He stressed that the details of the new associations, indicating their proposed names, acronyms, logos, addresses and interim leaderships are published on the commission’s website and other platforms for public information.

The National commissioner said the Commission will continue to keep the citizens up to date on all its activities.

​  

  • Related Posts

    BREAKING: Bishop Emeritus Of Nsukka Diocese, Francis Emmanuel Okobo, Dies At 89

    SaharaReporters gathered that Most Rev. Okobo died early Friday morning at the age of 89.  ArticlesRead More 

    Bandits Kill Two, Abduct Several Others in Niger Community

    Bandits Kill Two, Abduct Several Others in Niger Community

    Laleye Dipo in Minna

    Armed bandits  yesterday  morning killed two members of the local vigilance group and abducted several other villagers in Akere town in the Wushishi Local Government of Niger state.

    The heavily armed terrorists also took over the Minna to Kontagora highway obstructing vehicular movements. 

    Eyewitnesses said that the gunmen numbered over 1,000 and were riding on motorcycles.

    The eyewitness said apart from the local vigilance men, a villager was also shot by the bandits.

    The eyewitness, a community leader, said that it was the first time such huge number of gunmen would invade the area, explaining  in the past between two and three hundred men were always part of the gunmen.

    He said motorists and travelers made emergency retreats on getting to the spot where the bandits took over the Minna to Kontagora road.

    He appealed to the federal and Niger state governments to come to the assistance of the community, which he claimed had always been on the receiving ends of bandits.

    However, the State Police Command Public Relations Officer SUP Wasiu Abiodun and the Commissioner for Homeland Security Major General Garba Abdullahi (rtd) could not be reached for confirmation of the story.

    The post Bandits Kill Two, Abduct Several Others in Niger Community appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    ​  

    Laleye Dipo in Minna Armed bandits  yesterday  morning killed two members of the local vigilance group and abducted several other villagers in Akere town in the Wushishi Local Government of Niger state. The
    The post Bandits Kill Two, Abduct Several Others in Niger Community appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Top 10 states by FAAC net allocation in H1 2025; Delta, Rivers, Lagos top allocation chart 

    Spiro makes strategic push into Nigeria’s Electric Motorcycle Market

    All On Chairman urges bold investments to bridge energy gap in Nigeria 

    NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

    Champion Breweries will own 80% of Bullet – David Butler, CEO of enJOYcorp

    Unified Payments marks 28 years of excellence in financial innovation and economic empowerment 

    Tony Elumelu reveals 3 leadership lessons from becoming a bank manager at 27 

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    SCOA, RTBRISCOE lead gainers as All-Share Index slips 0.49% 

    The rise of Villager: How Uche Cole is building the Zara of Africa from the ground up

    Youth empowered podcast showcases bold startup journeys in Nigeria

    FG secures 200 hectares in Lekki Free Trade Zone for building materials hub 

    Marketing: An Art or a Science?

    Customs Agents Seek Waiver for Imported Goods Held Up at Ports Due to Glitches

    Redefining the Cocoa Trade and Nigerian Agriculture

    Domestic Air Travellers Lament over Prohibitive Cost of Flight Ticket

    FG, Brazil Deal Spur Air Peace S’American Flight

    NAMA Receives NCAA Certificate for ATC Simulator

    Obi Cubana Commends United Nigeria Airlines  

    Kwara to Begin Cargo Services at Tunde Idiagbon Airport 

    Shareholders Applaud NASD’s Return to Profitability,First Cash Dividend

    Nigerian Printers Urged to Embrace Cost Effective Technologies 

    Zabira Marks Sixth Anniversary, Rebrand as ‘The People’s Wallet’

    FG Drums Support for Industrialisation, Manufacturing Trade Summit 

    Bitget Debuts First-ever RWA Index Perpetuals 

    NNPC under attack but transformation will continue, says GCEO Ojulari 

    Nigeria’s Bosun Tijani joins Elon Musk, Sam Altman on TIME100 AI list

    Agusto & Co. projects 19% profit fall for Nigerian banks in 2025

    Agusto & Co. projects 19% profit fall for Nigerian banks in 2025

    Dangote, Ethiopia sign agreement to build $2.5 billion fertiliser plant

    Dangote, Ethiopia sign agreement to build $2.5 billion fertiliser plant

    FG to begin second round of integrated vaccination in 11 high-risk states, Sept 11–14

    FG approves lifetime salary benefits for retiring service chiefs – Interior Minister 

    Nigeria’s excess crude account now $535,823 – Wale Edun

    Nigeria’s excess crude account now $535,823 – Wale Edun

    We are under attack at NNPC – Ojulari

    We are under attack at NNPC – Ojulari

    FG denies signing agreement with ASUU, describes document as draft