Anambra tipper drivers protest alleged N200,000 extortion by government agents

Tipper drivers in Anambra have expressed dismay over the alleged forceful collection of N200,000 from each driver by officials of the Anambra State Road Traffic Management Agency (ARTMA).

The Chairman of the association, Mr Ebuka Unekwe, made the allegation during a press briefing in Onitsha, on Thursday.

Unekwe alleged that ARTMA officials extorted its members of money ranging from N200,000 and above under the guise of traffic control.

He lamented that tipper drivers were being extorted in the state on a daily basis, noting that the roads from where they loaded sand were dilapidated and impassable.

The chairman complained that due to the unmotorable condition of the roads, vehicles always fall and often create problems for the drivers.

He noted that tipper drivers now resorted to plying Niger Street, through Port Harcourt Road down to Upper Iweka all in Onitsha.

According to Unekwe, when we drive to Upper Iweka to connect the flyovers, ARTMA officials and some security agents would suddenly jump into our tippers.

“They do this every night and they compelled us to move into their park where they forcefully collect N200,000 from us on the condition that it was Gov. Charles Soludo they were working for.

“The ARTMA officials do not accept cash transfers but they insist that they must be given physical cash before any tipper in their net would be released.

“They are being led by one Akachukwu, an indigene of Ebonyi State, allegedly employed by the ARTMA Managing Director to act as their commander and ensure that the N200,000 were extorted from the tipper drivers and remitted to him privately.

“So far, between Tuesday and Wednesday alone, ARTMA officials have forcefully extorted N200,000 each from eight tipper drivers in the area.

“So this morning, some of us who loaded at Asaba and plied the road have been forcefully made to pay N200,000 to ARTMA,” he said.

He said as a result of the continuous extortion, the tipper drivers have concluded to stage a peaceful protest to draw the attention of the state governor towards their plight.

“We are set to block the Onitsha axis of the federal highway in the state to draw government attention,” the chairman said.

However, when contacted on the telephone, the Managing Director, ARTMA, Mr Emeka Konti, denied the allegations, adding that he did not send any of his officials to collect the sum of N200,000 from tipper drivers.

“That is totally false. No official was asked to collect N200,000 from tipper drivers.

“We only asked the tipper drivers to stop plying one way at night hence they started the propaganda,” he said.

The post Anambra tipper drivers protest alleged N200,000 extortion by government agents appeared first on Guardian Nigeria News.

  • Related Posts

    EPL: Southampton relegated in record time after Tottenham defeat

    Southampton were relegated from the Premier League in record-setting time after a 3-1 defeat at Tottenham on Sunday ended their brief stay in the top-flight. Brennan Johnson struck twice in the first half and Mateus Fernandes’s late reply was too late to stop bottom of the table Southampton crashing back to the Championship. Beaten for
    Read More

    Southampton were relegated from the Premier League in record-setting time after a 3-1 defeat at Tottenham on Sunday ended their brief stay in the top-flight. Brennan Johnson struck twice in the first half and Mateus Fernandes’s late reply was too late to stop bottom of the table Southampton crashing back to the Championship. Beaten for

    Read More

    EPL: Iwobi shines as Fulham stun Liverpool 3-2

    Alex Iwobi produced a stellar performance on Sunday as Fulham came from behind to defeat Liverpool 3–2 at Craven Cottage, dealing a blow to the Reds’ Premier League title ambitions. The Nigerian midfielder played a key role in Fulham’s impressive first-half comeback, scoring one and assisting another as the hosts overturned an early deficit to
    Read More

    Alex Iwobi produced a stellar performance on Sunday as Fulham came from behind to defeat Liverpool 3–2 at Craven Cottage, dealing a blow to the Reds’ Premier League title ambitions. The Nigerian midfielder played a key role in Fulham’s impressive first-half comeback, scoring one and assisting another as the hosts overturned an early deficit to

    Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Nigeria responds to U.S. tariff imposition, says new policy to disrupt non-oil exports 

    FG launches $552.18 million HOPE-EDU program to transform basic education in Nigeria 

    US universities record international students’ visa revocations by government agency

    International teachers’ certification requirements to work in Canada in 2025 

    Tara Durotoye:  Succession planning and the 100-year-old company by Joseph Edgar

    SERAP urges President Tinubu to reject $1.08 billion World Bank loan, probe missing funds

    Gen Z billionaires: Top 10 youngest richest people under 26 years 

    Gov. Eno disburses N50 million grants to 500 petty traders in Akwa Ibom 

    UK university offers £10K scholarships to 85 international postgraduate students 

    Tinubu approves establishment of over 8,800 Primary Healthcare Centres across Nigeria 

    FG, Julius Berger to address Third Mainland Bridge deflection issues through design review in Germany 

    Education minister proposes two-year NYSC scheme, seeks expansion of skill training program 

    FG orders closure of waterway between Eko and Carter Bridges over dredging damage 

    FG orders federal tertiary institutions to publish financial, student data by May 31 

    TotalEnergies declares N27bn profit for 2024

    TotalEnergies declares N27bn profit for 2024

    JAMB says April 7 not deadline for 2025 Direct Entry registration 

    TotalEnergies reports 140.35% surge in full-year profit as revenue surpasses N1 trillion, recommends N40 final dividend 

    Ogun Govt plans film and entertainment village, begins Olumo Rock, MKO residence renovation 

    Weekly Market Wrap: All-Share Index dips 0.14% as market activity declines, banking sector records modest gains 

    BREAKING: CBN injects $197.71 million into FX market to boost liquidity and stability 

    Trade war: Trump’s 10% baseline tariffs take effect, higher duties to follow 

    Lack of funding major cause of African startups’ shutdowns in 2024 -Report  

    Nigeria’s official exchange rate crashes to N1,600/$1 as Trump tariffs rattle global markets

    Unilever, UK Government and EY, announce grant of £500,000 for five West African Startups, including three in Nigeria 

    Transcorp Hotels announces N7.6bn dividend for shareholders, plans flagship 5-Star property in Ikoyi 

    Input cost inflation cools to 10-month low as PMI hits 54.3 in March – Report 

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    French aerospace company Dassault Aviation considers setting up MRO facility at Ogun’s Gateway Airport 

    BREAKING: Nigeria’s total public debt hits N144.67 trillion in December 2024 

    Navy destroys illegal refining sites, seizes vessels across states in March operation 

    YouTube increases YouTube Premium service price by 54% in Nigeria 

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    NNPC’s New Board and CBN’s Reserve Truth | Drinks and Mics

    Meningitis: Nigeria receives over 1 million doses of Men5CV vaccine to combat outbreak