Protest, counter-protest at INEC HQ over transparency in BVAS usage

Some Nigerians aggrieved with the outcome of the Kogi State governorship elections on Thursday stormed the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), insisting that Bimodal Voter Accreditation System (BVAS) must be allowed to work in a transparent manner.

Protest and allegations

The protest came amid tensions over the use of the BVAS in the Kogi State governorship election held in November last year.

The demonstrators, under the auspices of the Concerned Kogi Citizens’ Forum, led by Isaiah Davies, demanded transparency in the use of BVAS, alleging fraud and accusing INEC of manipulating the election results.

READ ALSO: Edo, Ondo guber: Inec warns against campaign in religious centres, police stations 

The protesters bore placards with inscriptions such as “Judges, BVAS matters,” “INEC Chairman, BVAS must be transparent!,” “Restore integrity in Nigeria’s elections!,” and “INEC, stop the BVAS fraud now!”

Tribunal decision and appeal

The protest and counter-protest follow the dismissal of a petition by the Social Democratic Party (SDP) by the Kogi State election tribunal challenging the poll results, citing lack of evidence.

Muritala Ajaka, the SDP candidate, has appealed the decision, alleging fraud. He had previously sought to inspect the BVAS materials used in the election.

The Supreme Court upheld Ajaka’s request, ordering INEC to tender the BVAS devices and documents containing their identification numbers and a summary of the devices.

Statements from protest leaders

Speaking during the demonstration, Davies said: “We are pro-government, we stand for the Nigerian people, and we support the rule of law. Our purpose is to advocate for the preservation of INEC’s accreditation process. If accreditation were not beneficial, INEC would not have endorsed it.

“The smart card reader system was introduced in 2019 to eliminate electoral fraud, but it faced issues. Then, INEC introduced the BVAS, which cost over N500 billion. Unfortunately, the reality we are witnessing today does not align with the hope that was instilled.

“We want INEC to release the BVAS report to prove the election was free and fair. In Kogi State, for instance, the accreditation process would involve 100 voters. However, some university professors hired by INEC as returning officers have been observed to announce election result figures that exceed the number of voters accredited. This constitutes electoral fraud. INEC should sanction such returning officers.”

Counter-protest by ETAC

Meanwhile, the Election Transparency Advocacy Coalition (ETAC), led by Barrister Peter Ugwuoke, countered with a protest of their own, backing INEC and the All Progressives Congress (APC).

The counter-protesters bore placards with inscriptions such as “Let INEC breathe,” “Stop blackmailing INEC,” “Allow our elections to mature,” and “INEC is doing well.”

Statements from ETAC Leaders

Ugwuoke said, “INEC is doing its best to conduct free and fair elections despite challenging conditions. The Commission is not the problem, but the politicians who are bad losers. They are taking out their frustration on INEC without justification, using falsehood and wicked propaganda to discredit the election.

“We are here today in solidarity with the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, which has become a target of unfair and wicked propaganda by politicians who are bad losers. INEC conducted the governorship election in Kogi State with professional competence, making the election a substantially true reflection of the choice and wishes of the Kogi State electorate.

“All lovers of democracy in this country know that the November 11th, 2023, governorship election in Kogi State was conducted by INEC with professional competence. The unnecessary noise about BVAS is based on unfounded allegations with no concrete proof or evidence. We commend INEC for a job well done and urge the Commission to refuse to be distracted by political merchants of fake news and division.”

Statement from ETAC spokesperson

In the same vein, Kolawole Michael, spokesperson for ETAC, stated: “INEC conducted the governorship election in Kogi State professionally and competently, reflecting the choice and wishes of the electorate. The unnecessary noise about BVAS is based on unfounded allegations with no concrete proof or evidence. We condemn the activities of disgruntled politicians sponsoring atrocious propaganda against INEC and urge the Commission to stay focused on its mandate.

“The politicians who are crying foul are the ones who failed to win the election. They are trying to discredit the election because they were defeated. We urge INEC to ignore their antics and continue to do its job with professionalism and integrity.

“The election in Kogi State was free, fair, and credible. The winner of the election was declared by INEC in accordance with the law. We urge the losers to accept the outcome of the election and congratulate the winner, rather than trying to discredit the election and cause chaos in the state.”

Protest at INEC Kogi headquarters
Protest at INEC Kogi headquarters

The post Protest, counter-protest at INEC HQ over transparency in BVAS usage appeared first on Guardian Nigeria News.

  • Related Posts

    Ogun community accuses IBEDC of diverting power to private companies

    Residents of Mogede community in Ibafo, Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State, have accused the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company of diverting electricity meant for their community to nearby companies, leaving them in darkness for months. The residents also decried what they called an “astronomical increase in billing” despite the prolonged blackout. According to
    Read More

    Residents of Mogede community in Ibafo, Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State, have accused the Ibadan Electricity Distribution Company of diverting electricity meant for their community to nearby companies, leaving them in darkness for months. The residents also decried what they called an “astronomical increase in billing” despite the prolonged blackout. According to

    Read More

    Ojulari resumes as NNPLC appoints new team

    About 48 hours after his appointment, the new Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, Bayo Ojulari, has officially assumed leadership of the company, succeeding his predecessor, Mr Mele Kyari.  A statement by the NNPCL spokesperson, Olufemi Soneye, on Friday, said Ojulari took over the reins of affairs after a brief
    Read More

    About 48 hours after his appointment, the new Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, Bayo Ojulari, has officially assumed leadership of the company, succeeding his predecessor, Mr Mele Kyari.  A statement by the NNPCL spokesperson, Olufemi Soneye, on Friday, said Ojulari took over the reins of affairs after a brief

    Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Fraud Fight Now More Urgent, Expert Insists

    Between Power Bikes And Smartphones

    GMW: Access Bank Empowers Teens with Financial Literacy Skills

    Between High Inflation and Your Savings

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    P-CNGi, LNG Arete Ltd. sign $27.3 million agreement to boost CNG infrastructure in Northern Nigeria 

    All-Share holds steady above N66 trillion, slips by 0.01%; UBA and UCAP lead trading volume 

    FCT minister inaugurates solar-powered farmers’ Market in Utako 

    US tariffs may shrink Global Trade by 1% – WTO DG

    Trump extends TikTok deadline by 75 days, citing need for further approvals

    EcoBank asks Court to restrain Otudeko’s Son and others from selling 6.3 billion shares 

    WTO warns of 1% global trade contraction amid US tariff measures

    WTO warns of 1% global trade contraction amid US tariff measures

    Trump’s new 14% tariff could hit Nigeria hard — here’s how

    President Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as new Managing Director of Bank of Agriculture 

    TECO Group Calls for More Innovators to Tackle Agrifood Industry Challenges 

    Denmark business school opens 2025 applications for fully funded PhD scholarships in AI and Statistics 

    SITA Redefines Airport Operations, Acquires CCM

    Official Statement from inDrive on Recent Ride-Hailing Industry Developments 

    Billionaire Zuckerberg’s net worth drops $17.9 billion as Meta stocks dip  

    Forex losses push International Breweries to N111.8 billion loss in 2024 

    FCMB Group reports pre-tax profit of N111.8 billion as interest and operating income surge 

    CBN links foreign debt service to $2.57 billion drop in FX reserves in Q1 2025 

    Dangote among global billionaires who lost combined $208 billion in one day from Trump tariffs 

    Nairametrics set to host first-ever Capital Market Choice Awards (NCMA) 

    eDryv: A Game-Changer in Urban Mobility 

    BREAKING: Court bars Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, and Senate from granting interviews over alleged misconduct case 

    Unfair credit ratings pushing up costs of borrowing for African countries – ECA 

    China retaliates with 34% tariffs on US imports, escalating trade war 

    Nigeria seeks fresh $10.50 million World Bank loan to boost CBN’s technical capacity 

    Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags    

    realme C75: Unbreakable Champion Beyond Quality—Redefining Smartphone Durability in Nigeria 

    House of Tara enters a new era: Meet the new Managing Director

    Lagos Independence Bridge to reopen on Sunday, traffic to be restricted to half carriageway – Umahi 

    World’s 2nd richest, Bezos loses $16 billion in 24 hours as Amazon shares fall 

    Brent Crude down by $10 a Barrel, Worst day since 2022

    Why Trump’s reciprocal tariffs may have less direct impact on Africa—Afreximbank Research