What’s next after Kenya’s deadly protests?

Kenya found itself plunged into uncertainty on Wednesday following an unprecedented day of chaos and deadly violence, and after lawmakers passed deeply unpopular tax hikes that prompted demonstrators to ransack parliament.

How did East Africa’s economic powerhouse get to this point and what happens now?

– What happened? –

Tuesday’s national strike against tax hikes began peacefully, with mostly young demonstrators marching across the country, as they did last week.

But tensions later spiralled in the capital Nairobi as officers opened fire, shooting into crowds marching towards parliament, where lawmakers had been debating the finance bill containing the tax proposals.

Demonstrators then broke through police barricades, entering the parliamentary complex and vandalising it.

READ MORE: Five killed-31-wounded-in-kenya-protests-tuesday

The state-funded Kenya National Commission on Human Rights said it had recorded 22 deaths, and promised an investigation.

An official at Kenyatta National Hospital in Nairobi said Wednesday that it was treating “160 people… some of them with soft tissue injuries, some of them with bullet wounds”.

Looting also took place in Nairobi and other counties, while buildings were set on fire in the Rift Valley town of Eldoret, a stronghold of President William Ruto.

– What led up to this moment? –
Many Kenyans are deeply frustrated with the government as they struggle with a cost-of-living crisis — which the protesters say the hikes will only exacerbate.

The government’s initial proposal to tax bread purchases and car ownership sparked an outcry among young, Gen-Z Kenyans, who launched a movement dubbed “Occupy Parliament” last week.

Their protests — organised and livestreamed on TikTok, X and Instagram — remained largely peaceful as they drew more and more people, including older Kenyans, some of whom showed up to Thursday’s rally with their children.

The government withdrew some of the tax increases but protesters say they will settle for nothing less than a full withdrawal of the bill.

Andrew Smith, Senior Africa Analyst at risk intelligence company Verisk Maplecroft, said Ruto had “seriously misjudged the amount of anger among the population over the tax hikes and the underlying socioeconomic conditions”.

“Many protesters are also seriously disappointed in Ruto, who came into power in 2022 pledging to reduce living costs and has done exactly the opposite.”

Ruto’s government says the increases are necessary to cut reliance on foreign debt — which stands at roughly 10 trillion shillings — around 70 percent of GDP.

Kenya is under pressure from the IMF to slash its debt and boost revenues.

READ MORE: Kenyan protesters to return to streets over tax hikes

What happens now? –
It is unclear what Ruto’s next move might be.

But protesters pledged Wednesday to continue marching, with organiser Hanifa Adan posting on X: “Tomorrow we march peacefully again as we wear white, for all our fallen people”.

“You cannot kill all of us.”

Demonstrators also shared “Tupatane Thursday” (“We meet Thursday” in Swahili), alongside the hashtag #Rejectfinancebill2024 on social media.

After a limited rollback of some hikes last week, Ruto is not offering more concessions.

Addressing a late-night briefing on Tuesday, he likened some of the demonstrators to criminals, warning that he would crack down on “violence and anarchy”.

The authorities have deployed the military to tackle what they describe as a “security emergency”.

Analyst Smith said the deployment “could reduce protests, or we could see even higher levels of violence and protests expanding to other parts of the country.”

On Tuesday, as chaos raged outside, parliament passed the contentious bill containing the tax hikes, which must be signed by Ruto to become law.

“Ruto still has a way out of the situation by refusing to sign the bill and sending it back to parliament,” Smith said.

But a new bill would likely take many months to formulate, he added.

With the tax measures due to take effect on July 1, the start of Kenya’s financial year, time is not on Ruto’s side.

The post What’s next after Kenya’s deadly protests? appeared first on Guardian Nigeria News.

  • Related Posts

    PICTORIAL: New NNPCL boss Ojulari takes over from Kyari

    The new Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, Bayo Ojulari, has officially assumed leadership of the company, succeeding his predecessor, Mele Kyari. A statement by the NNPCL’s spokesperson, Olufemi Soneye, on Friday, said Ojulari took over the reins of affairs after a brief handover ceremony held at the NNPC Towers,
    Read More

    The new Group Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, Bayo Ojulari, has officially assumed leadership of the company, succeeding his predecessor, Mele Kyari. A statement by the NNPCL’s spokesperson, Olufemi Soneye, on Friday, said Ojulari took over the reins of affairs after a brief handover ceremony held at the NNPC Towers,

    Read More

    Navy seizes 400,000 litres of stolen crude in Delta operation

    Over 400,000 litres of stolen crude oil were recovered by the Nigerian Navy’s Operation Delta Sanity II across the Niger Delta in March 2025. Also, more than 30 illegal refinery sites were dismantled and several suspects linked to arms smuggling and oil bunkering were equally arrested by the operatives. According to a statement on Friday
    Read More

    Over 400,000 litres of stolen crude oil were recovered by the Nigerian Navy’s Operation Delta Sanity II across the Niger Delta in March 2025. Also, more than 30 illegal refinery sites were dismantled and several suspects linked to arms smuggling and oil bunkering were equally arrested by the operatives. According to a statement on Friday

    Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Trump’s new 14% tariff could hit Nigeria hard — here’s how

    President Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as new Managing Director of Bank of Agriculture 

    TECO Group Calls for More Innovators to Tackle Agrifood Industry Challenges 

    Denmark business school opens 2025 applications for fully funded PhD scholarships in AI and Statistics 

    SITA Redefines Airport Operations, Acquires CCM

    Official Statement from inDrive on Recent Ride-Hailing Industry Developments 

    Billionaire Zuckerberg’s net worth drops $17.9 billion as Meta stocks dip  

    Forex losses push International Breweries to N111.8 billion loss in 2024 

    FCMB Group reports pre-tax profit of N111.8 billion as interest and operating income surge 

    CBN links foreign debt service to $2.57 billion drop in FX reserves in Q1 2025 

    Dangote among global billionaires who lost combined $208 billion in one day from Trump tariffs 

    Nairametrics set to host first-ever Capital Market Choice Awards (NCMA) 

    eDryv: A Game-Changer in Urban Mobility 

    BREAKING: Court bars Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, and Senate from granting interviews over alleged misconduct case 

    Unfair credit ratings pushing up costs of borrowing for African countries – ECA 

    China retaliates with 34% tariffs on US imports, escalating trade war 

    Nigeria seeks fresh $10.50 million World Bank loan to boost CBN’s technical capacity 

    Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags    

    realme C75: Unbreakable Champion Beyond Quality—Redefining Smartphone Durability in Nigeria 

    House of Tara enters a new era: Meet the new Managing Director

    Lagos Independence Bridge to reopen on Sunday, traffic to be restricted to half carriageway – Umahi 

    World’s 2nd richest, Bezos loses $16 billion in 24 hours as Amazon shares fall 

    Brent Crude down by $10 a Barrel, Worst day since 2022

    Why Trump’s reciprocal tariffs may have less direct impact on Africa—Afreximbank Research 

    European organization offers job opportunities with work visa sponsorships for international applicants 

    Top 10 Nigerian stockbrokers by transaction value in Q1 2025 

    Nigerian Senate to address critical Tax Reform Bills after Easter holidays 

    Court orders final forfeiture of FIRS staff’s Abuja, Kano properties over alleged money laundering  

    Trump Tariffs: Why US matters less to Nigeria’s trade story – New report

    EFCC boss vows to tackle non-performing loans  associated with fraud across Nigeria  

    ISA 2025: Nigeria formally recognizes cryptocurrency as securities in new SEC Act 2025 

    Mining Marshals shut down illegal site in Nasarawa, arrest three foreigners 

    SON issues 107 product certifications to 44 companies in Anambra 

    Kwara Government partners IsDB to invest $57.2 million in livestock and rural development 

    Robust frameworks needed for transparent local government fund management in Nigeria – ICPC 

    ICPC re-arraigns Professor Igbinoba over alleged degree peddling and forgery in Benin