SDP National Chairman, 2 NWC Members Suspended Over Alleged Financial Misconduct

* Gabam debunks suspension 

Oghenevwede Ohwovoriole in Abuja

The National Working Committee (NWC) of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) has suspended the party’s National Chairman, Alhaji Shehu Musa Gabam; the National Auditor, Nze Nnadi Clarkson, and the National Youth Leader, Uchechukwu Chukwuma.

Meanwhile, Gabam has debunked his purported suspension by the party, saying it is fake and blames the new coalition for the current crisis in his party.

A statement by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Araba Rufus Aiyenigba, said the suspension followed a resolution of a meeting of the NWC, where overwhelming evidences were presented linking the suspended officials to a series of unauthorized financial transactions, personal enrichment schemes, and movement of funds from the party’s accounts without necessary approvals by the NWC.

Part of the statement read: “In exercise of its exclusive powers as guaranteed in Article 19.1, 19.3(i) and 19.5 of the party’s constitution (2022 as Amended), the National Working Committee  (NWC) of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) has approved the immediate suspension of the National Chairman of the party, Alhaji Shehu Musa Gabam, along with two members of the National Working Committee (NWC), namely Nze Nnadi Clarkson, National Auditor, and Uchechukwu Chukwuma, National Youth Leader, over grave allegations of gross financial misconduct, embezzlement, misappropriation and diversion of party funds.”

According to the statement, the NWC’s action to suspend the trio was to demonstrate to Nigerians that the party, generally seen as a disciplined party and a credible alternative political platform for national redemption, has zero tolerance for corruption and abuse of office.

“The decision to suspend the national chairman and other implicated NWC members is to allow for a thorough investigation. Our integrity as a political party must be upheld at all times,” the statement also read.

The statement noted that an interim investigative panel had been constituted to audit all the party’s financial records and recommend further disciplinary or legal actions.

“In the interim, the Deputy National Chairman, Dr. Sadiq Umar Abubakar, has been directed to assume leadership of the party pending the outcome of the investigations,” the statement added.

The statement equally revealed that the misappropriated funds amounted to hundreds of millions of naira, including donations and resources realised from the sales of nomination forms in the 2023 general election and other funds from the party accounts.

“The suspension has been communicated to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), and all relevant anti-graft and security agencies have been formally notified.

“The suspension takes immediate effect. The general public is hereby requested to be appropriately guided by the development,” the statement submitted.

Meanwhile, Gabam has debunked his purported suspension, saying it is fake and blames the new coalition for the current crisis in his party.

He made the claim in his office at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja on Tuesday, while hosting some of the party’s NWC members who were in his office.

Reacting to his purported suspension, he said: “I remain the national chairman of the SDP as you can see.

“The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) tagged the request by the party’s National Secretary to hold a National Working Committee (NWC)  meeting as illegal since it didn’t have my signature.”

He also claimed that the crisis in the SDP are masterminded by the coalition who wants to destroy the party since they can’t have it. 

“I think we had this crisis before. It is now rearing its head. And some of us understand where it is coming from.

“Because this coalition and some of the people in the coalition who believe that at all costs, they either get SDP or create confusion around SDP. So many forces from so many fronts see SDP as very, very deadly. Or very, very strong that they cannot maneuver over.”

He called on President Bola Tinubu to call the security agencies to order so that politicians would not use them to truncate democracy.

“This is very, very dangerous for our democracy. Anytime we have leaders that don’t want to accommodate a dissenting voice, then the country is gone. Democracy will disappear.

“We hope and I pray the president and commander-in-chief will not allow this kind of anarchy to continue. He will call people to order. Security agencies that somehow remotely are being used to support this kind of thing.

“They are not doing me a disservice. They are not doing disservice to this party. It’s a disservice to the country,” he said.

He also noted that those who are accusing him of financial misappropriation should remember that they’re the one ones who raise memos and that all their names are in the party’s account statement.

“And I’m sure by the time we submit the complete printout of our account from the banks to the security agencies, they will see everything. They will see everyone that money has gone into his account. Everyone. All the NWC members. It has not excluded anybody.

“He was once the chairman of the party. He should have also accounted for his own tenure when he was chairman of the party. I’m ready to account for my tenure any minute, any time,” Gabam added 

“We expected this crisis for quite a while. First, we’ve been waiting for them to expose all their game plan, before we respond to it. Happily enough, they have officially exposed themselves today.

“And I’m sure Nigerians will get to know them, who are anti-democratic forces? Who are conniving to disrupt political institutions, for whatever motivation? But I want to assure you that we are on. 

“The letter you are talking about, they used a legal firm to communicate to the INEC. Which is a complete violation of the process of political parties in terms of communication with INEC.

“And if you look at the INEC letters, it specifies that any decision has to be jointly signed by the national chairman and national secretary. My signature is an authority signature. By our constitution, the national chairman is the national leader of the party and chief executive of the party,” Gabam said.

​  

  • Related Posts

    2027: I’ll Support Any PDP Presidential Candidate, Says Gov Bala

    2027: I’ll Support Any PDP Presidential Candidate, Says Gov Bala

    Chuks Okocha in Abuja

    The Governor of Bauchi State, Bala Mohammed, has said that he would whoever emerges as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate for 2027 general elections. will get his full backing going into the political fray.

    According to him, the main opposition party has so many capable hands that can effectively handle Nigeria’s affairs and turn things around for the overall good of the citizens and the country in general

    Governor Bala, who spoke on one of the national televisions, explained that the PDP has not settled for any particular candidate yet, even as he laughed over current speculations about the Seyi Makinde/Bala Mohammed pairing come 2027.

    He said there are so many options in terms of pairing to “match even better” the President Bola Tinubu and Vice President Kashim Shettima ticket in 2027.

    Governor Bala, who is the Chairman of PDP Governors’ Forum, further said, “It depends on what Nigerians want. If they want the continuation of this clueless administration, then it is the choice of Nigerians.”

    However, not completely ruling out the possibility of any such ticket that could see both of them teaming up to challenge the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), he said, “Certainly, they have seen the pedigree and capacity of Seyi and my humble self at subnational level.

    “And of course, it is not only Seyi that is there , there are so many people that may even come up and so many people that can be good Vice presidents.”

    The Bauchi State Chief Executive, while making reference to the 2023 Presidential polls, said the PDP is not ready to repeat what he described as the ruling APC’s insensitivity and ‘mistake’ of fielding a Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket in the 2027 elections.

    He said, “Everybody should know that PDP is open, and it’s open in a manner that it is for the southerner to bring somebody.

    “We don’t want to make the mistake of the APC. We need a Christian from the South to emerge as presidential candidate so that he will lead the majority of Christian southerners to come and pick the majority Muslim vice president in the North, not to put ourselves in a cul-de-sac the way and manner APC did in 2023.”

    For him, no matter the argument that may have been put forward, echoes of APC’s Muslim-Muslim ticket decision still reverberate within the polity because it “did not take into cognisance our diversity” and such should not be encouraged going forward.

    The post 2027: I’ll Support Any PDP Presidential Candidate, Says Gov Bala appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    ​  

    Chuks Okocha in Abuja The Governor of Bauchi State, Bala Mohammed, has said that he would whoever emerges as the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate for 2027 general elections. will get his full backing
    The post 2027: I’ll Support Any PDP Presidential Candidate, Says Gov Bala appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    Sokoto Launches 2025 Tree Planting Campaign to Combat Desertification

    Sokoto Launches 2025 Tree Planting Campaign to Combat Desertification

    Onuminya Innocent in Sokoto 

    Sokoto State Governor, Ahmed Aliyu, has flagged off the 2025 Tree Planting Campaign in Sokoto New City, Kasarawa, as part of efforts to combat desertification and promote environmental sustainability. 

    Governor Aliyu emphasised the urgent need for collective action to address desert encroachment, which is advancing at an alarming rate and posing serious threats to farmlands.

    He directed local government councils to hasten the collection of their allocations and ensure planting in their respective domains.

    The campaign aims to distribute over 500,000 tree seedlings across the state’s 23 local government areas.

    The campaign involves the massive distribution of thousands of environmental and economic seedlings across the 23 local government areas. This effort is expected to not only combat desertification but also provide economic benefits to the people of Sokoto State.

    Community participation is a key component of the campaign, with local government chairmen tasked with sensitising their communities on the dangers of indiscriminate tree felling. This approach is designed to ensure that the campaign is owned and driven by the local communities, thereby guaranteeing its sustainability.

    The campaign is also supported by the National Agency for the Great Green Wall, which has allocated 450,000 date seedlings to Sokoto State. This partnership underscores the commitment of the state government to combating desertification and promoting environmental sustainability.

    The campaign has received support from development partners, including UNICEF, UNDP, and UNEP. 

    These partners have commended the state government’s commitment to environmental sustainability and pledged their support for the campaign.

    The 2025 Tree Planting Campaign in Sokoto State marks a significant step towards combating desertification and promoting environmental sustainability. With the support of development partners and the active participation of local communities, the campaign is poised to make a positive impact on the environment and the lives of the people of Sokoto State.

    The post Sokoto Launches 2025 Tree Planting Campaign to Combat Desertification appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    ​  

    Onuminya Innocent in Sokoto  Sokoto State Governor, Ahmed Aliyu, has flagged off the 2025 Tree Planting Campaign in Sokoto New City, Kasarawa, as part of efforts to combat desertification and promote
    The post Sokoto Launches 2025 Tree Planting Campaign to Combat Desertification appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Tetracore Energy Commissions 6.2MMscfd Phase II CNG Facility in Ogun State, strengthening Nigeria’s clean energy drive 

    Top 10 remittance apps Nigerians abroad use for sending and receiving money  

    All-Share Index posts modest 0.31% August gain — how did the sectors perform? 

    Data consumption in Nigeria hits all-time high in July despite decline in subscriptions 

    Recalibrating Nigeria’s tax-based incentive regime: From PSI to EDTI

    Naira closes August with slight gain against Dollar in Nigerian forex market

    We’re Making Vehicle Ownership Easier for Nigerians, Says Carloha

    We’re Making Vehicle Ownership Easier for Nigerians, Says Carloha

    AGF Defends Dropping of High-Profile Cases, Says No Political Influence

    Ogun Govt releases 130 hectares for Ijebu-Ode Inland Dry Port project 

    Nigeria’s data center market to grow from $278 million in 2024 to $671 million by 2030 – NCSP

    Budget reports delayed by project checks, fiscal transition – Budget office

    Budget reports delayed by project checks, fiscal transition – Budget office

    African airlines record 9.4% growth in air cargo demand in July 2025 – IATA

    African airlines record 2.8% passenger demand growth in July 2025 – IATA 

    Cornerstone Vs. Mansard: Which Insurance stock is the better bet now? 

    GTCO increases GTBank’s paid-up capital to N504 Billion 

    Cornerstone Insurance announces appointment of Omonkhogbe as Emeka Ogbechie exit director role 

    GTCO Injects N365.85 billion into GTBank to meet CBN’s recapitalisation mandate 

    Top 10 states by FAAC net allocation in H1 2025; Delta, Rivers, Lagos top allocation chart 

    Spiro makes strategic push into Nigeria’s Electric Motorcycle Market

    All On Chairman urges bold investments to bridge energy gap in Nigeria 

    NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

    Champion Breweries will own 80% of Bullet – David Butler, CEO of enJOYcorp

    Unified Payments marks 28 years of excellence in financial innovation and economic empowerment 

    Tony Elumelu reveals 3 leadership lessons from becoming a bank manager at 27 

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    SCOA, RTBRISCOE lead gainers as All-Share Index slips 0.49% 

    The rise of Villager: How Uche Cole is building the Zara of Africa from the ground up

    Youth empowered podcast showcases bold startup journeys in Nigeria

    FG secures 200 hectares in Lekki Free Trade Zone for building materials hub 

    Marketing: An Art or a Science?

    Customs Agents Seek Waiver for Imported Goods Held Up at Ports Due to Glitches

    Redefining the Cocoa Trade and Nigerian Agriculture

    Domestic Air Travellers Lament over Prohibitive Cost of Flight Ticket

    FG, Brazil Deal Spur Air Peace S’American Flight