China Delays $23bn Sale of Panama Canal Ports to US-backed BlackRock Consortium

Emmanuel Addeh in Abuja

China has held up the $23 billion sale of dozens of ports, including two key ports in the Panama Canal, to a group led by US investing giant, BlackRock, after President Donald Trump expressed concern about Beijing’s sway over the strategic shipping lanes.

March 4, CK Hutchison, a Hong Kong-based conglomerate controlled by 96-year-old billionaire Li Ka-shing, announced plans to sell 43 port facilities globally — including critical ports at both ends of the Panama Canal and near the Suez Canal — for approximately $22.8 billion.

But China’s State Administration for Market Regulation has unexpectedly initiated an investigation into potential violations of Chinese anti-monopoly laws, effectively stalling the deal.

The deal would have shifted control of two ports in Panama to the US-led investor group, but it is now likely to be delayed for at least a short period beyond the initial April 2 deadline, people familiar with the matter said. The deal had drawn praise from Trump and criticism from China’s state-backed media.

China President Xi Jinping is reportedly “angry” over CK Hutchison’s plans to sell its Panama Canal port operations — particularly because the company did not consult Beijing beforehand, according to the Wall Street Journal.

The deal — spearheaded by BlackRock Chief Executive, Larry Fink, a longtime Trump confidante — called for an agreement to be signed by April 2 (today), though it now is likely that the Wednesday deadline will be missed.

Also, Adebayo Ogunlesi, Founding Partner, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP), a subsidiary of BlackRock, will lead the move to acquire the key port operations near the Panama Canal in the deal.

As part of the agreement, GIP will manage the newly acquired assets in partnership with Terminal Investment Limited (TIL) and other strategic partners.

Under Ogunlesi’s leadership, GIP has grown into the world’s largest independent infrastructure manager, overseeing more than $100 billion in assets. The firm’s infrastructure equity funds alone account for $60 billion of its portfolio, reinforcing its position as a global leader in infrastructure investment

“We are confident that Panama will require the sale of these assets within its sovereign territory,” a White House official told The New York Post.

Insiders say Chinese leadership had hoped to leverage the port issue in its talks with the Trump administration, only to be caught off guard by the deal’s sudden progress.

Trump hailed the development as a strategic win over China — casting Panama as a key battleground in the broader US-China struggle for global influence.

In response, an op-ed published in the pro-Beijing newspaper Ta Kung Pao condemned the sale as a “betrayal of all Chinese people.”

The timing of the deal’s announcement, coming just before the start of the “two sessions,” China’s most significant annual political and economic gathering, only deepened the offense for Xi and the Chinese Communist Party.

The Panama Canal — used extensively by both the US and China — has reemerged as a flashpoint in global politics after Trump renewed his pledge to assert American dominance over the waterway.

Beijing’s move to influence the affairs of CK Hutchison reinforced concerns among global observers about China’s diminishing distinction between private and public sectors as well as its aggressive encroachment into Hong Kong’s affairs. President Trump has vowed to reassert American dominance over the Panama Canal.

The dispute over the canal’s ports arises at a sensitive moment as China faces ongoing tensions from a US trade war. This week, Trump is expected to announce a new round of so-called “reciprocal tariffs.”

CK Hutchison, one of the largest conglomerates in Hong Kong, earlier this month announced plans to sell its stake in two ports on the Panama Canal to a group of US investors led by BlackRock.

The plan, part of a $22.8 billion megadeal that would grant the consortium control over more than 40 ports in 23 countries, followed complaints by United States President Donald Trump that the key shipping route was under Chinese control.

CK Hutchison shares soared following news of the deal on March 4, but plunged less than two weeks later when Ta Kung Pao, a Chinese state-run newspaper in Hong Kong, accused the company in two op-eds of “spineless grovelling” and cutting a deal “that betrayed and sold out all Chinese people”.

While it is still uncertain whether CK Hutchison and BlackRock will go ahead with the deal, a delay would not necessarily stop it in its tracks.

The deal reportedly includes a 145-day exclusivity clause for negotiations, after which CK Hutchison would be free to sell its assets to another party, according to the Post. The Post said neither party had revealed “the start or end” of the exclusivity period.

​  

  • Related Posts

    PHOTO STORY: Faces Of 12 Of The 15 Domestic Workers Held In Prison Since 2019 By Patience Jonathan Over Missing Jewellery

    SaharaReporters exclusively obtained photos of 12 of the domestic workers who have been imprisoned for nearly six years.   ArticlesRead More 

    IMF Backs Nigeria’s Single Window Project, Seeks Areas Where Assistance is Needed

    IMF Backs Nigeria’s Single Window Project, Seeks Areas Where Assistance is Needed

    Ndubuisi Francis in Abuja

    The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has expressed support for Nigeria’s Single Window (NSW) Project, an evolving initiative designed to streamline trade processes, reduce bottlenecks, enhance transparency, and increase government revenue.

    The multilateral lender’s backing for the NSW Project was conveyed in Abuja, Thursday by its Technical Assistance Advisor for Revenue Administration 2, Marco Antonio, who led a delegation from the IMF Fiscal Affairs Department for a meeting with the Minister of Finance and Coordinating Minister of the Economy, Mr. Wale Edun.

    The meeting highlighted the IMF’s strong support for the Single Window Trade Project, which aims to streamline trade processes, increase government revenue, and enhance the ease of doing business.

    Antonio praised the NSW project, among other reforms, and sought to know how the IMF could provide further assistance for its successful implementation. 

    According to a statement released by the finance ministry by its Director, Information and Public Relations, Mohammed Manga, the minister disclosed that the project is well underway, with approvals secured, a dedicated team in place, and a structured implementation plan.

    He underscored the initiative’s potential to catalyse export growth, particularly with Nigeria on course to achieve 1.2 million barrels of daily oil production. 

    Describing the project as a transformative economic tool, Edun reiterated the government’s commitment to its success, citing the strategic leadership of President Tinubu and the support of the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) as key to its execution.

    “As Nigeria continues on its path to economic transformation, the Single Window Trade Project is poised to play a pivotal role. 

    “With the IMF’s endorsement, this initiative is expected to enhance trade efficiency, increase revenue and stimulate economic growth, positioning Nigeria as a beacon of trade excellence in Africa,” the finance ministry said.

    ​  

    Ndubuisi Francis in Abuja The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has expressed support for Nigeria’s Single Window (NSW) Project, an evolving initiative designed to streamline trade processes, reduce bottlenecks, enhance transparency,

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Minister Umahi faults Lagos Works Controller over Independence Bridge closure 

    Kwara Govt signs agreement to upgrade Omu-Aran general hospital to teaching hospital  

    Ex-Minister to reward Sterling bank for halting transfer charges

    Ex-Minister to reward Sterling bank for halting transfer charges

    VFD Group reports N11.2 billion profit as investment income soars 

    Okomu Oil declares Final Dividend of N26 for registered members 

    DBNC 2025: Navigating challenges, seizing opportunities in a transforming Nigeria 

    PAC Capital Limited Named Best Transaction Advisory Firm in Nigeria at the Grand Annual Awards Ceremony 2025 

    Footwear brand, Nike loses $10 billion in valuation over Trump tariffs 

    Antimicrobial resistance puts financial strain on Nigeria’s healthcare system – Experts warn 

    INEC blocks ‘further action’ on Natasha Akpoti’s withdrawal from NASS amid feud with Akpabio 

    Truecaller surpasses 450 million users as growth accelerates in Nigeria, other markets 

    UNICEF donates over 2.5 million doses of oral polio vaccines to Bauchi state 

    Tinubu approves N20 billion for space agency to regulate Nigeria’s space sector 

    China threatens countermeasures as Trump’s tariffs escalate trade tensions 

    JAMB releases 2025 UTME-Mock notification slip for printing 

    JP Morgan seeks merchant banking licence from CBN to bolster African presence 

    EU prepares retaliatory tariffs as Trump’s trade policies spark global economic concerns 

    Lagosians suffer “worst traffic gridlock ever” as Independence Bridge repairs cause widespread chaos 

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Bitcoin dips to $82,000 amid global trade tensions triggered by Trump tariffs 

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Elon Musk’s Neuralink begins global recruitment for research on brain implants 

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Nigeria, Japan partner on Naira-denominated venture capital fund to boost startups 

    South Africa’s PIC invests $40 million in Africa50 for infrastructure development 

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    Netflix enhances language options on TV to attract global viewers 

    Court jails another convicted airline passenger for 3 months over non-declaration of $30,000 in Lagos 

    CBN denies fake circular introducing N5,000 and N10,000 notes 

    Nigerian Military, Briech UAS unveil Africa’s first indigenous attack drones and bombs 

    Billionaire Bezos’ Amazon makes eleventh-hour bid for TikTok 

    Market Wrap: All-Share ends in the red, slips by 0.12% as UPDCREIT and AFRIPRUD shine 

    Lagos eyes N5 billion in sales at 2025 tourism fair 

    Amazon, OnlyFans founder join race to acquire TikTok as April 5 deadline nears 

    FG reopens Lagos Independence Bridge ahead of schedule, opts for palliative fixes 

    E-FRAUD AND DIGITAL BANKING SECURITY