US woman released by Taliban in Afghanistan
An American woman, Faye Hall, has been released by the Taliban in Afghanistan, Washington’s former envoy to Kabul, Zalmay Khalilzad, has revealed. Faye, two Britons, and their Afghan translator were captured earlier this year. She is the fourth US citizen to be released by the Taliban since January, as part of agreements brokered by Qatar.
US woman released by Taliban in Afghanistan
An American woman, Faye Hall, has been released by the Taliban in Afghanistan, Washington’s former envoy to Kabul, Zalmay Khalilzad, has revealed.
Faye, two Britons, and their Afghan translator were captured earlier this year.
She is the fourth US citizen to be released by the Taliban since January, as part of agreements brokered by Qatar.
“American citizen Faye Hall, just released by the Taliban, is now in the care of our friends, the Qataris, in Kabul and will soon be on her way home,” Khalilzad wrote on X on Saturday.
Khalilzad has been part of a US delegation working on Taliban captive releases.
Hall’s release comes just days after another American, George Glezmann, who was detained in Afghanistan for more than two years, was freed by the Taliban.
Glezmann was reunited with his wife in the US and was greeted by a welcoming party that included his former cellmate.
US woman released by Taliban in Afghanistan
PET bottle collectors, scavengers accuse Delta Govt of fraudulent registration
PET bottle operators and their scavengers have clashed with the Delta State Ministry of Environment in Asaba, the state capital. While the ministry has conducted a raid on scavengers and unregistered dump sites used by PET bottle operators in Asaba over non-payment of registration fees, the operators have insisted that the government’s registration process is
PET bottle collectors, scavengers accuse Delta Govt of fraudulent registration
PET bottle operators and their scavengers have clashed with the Delta State Ministry of Environment in Asaba, the state capital.
While the ministry has conducted a raid on scavengers and unregistered dump sites used by PET bottle operators in Asaba over non-payment of registration fees, the operators have insisted that the government’s registration process is fraudulent.
The arrest of the operators and scavengers may be linked to their failure to comply with the state government’s directive to register with the ministry for proper regulation.
The operation led to the arrest of 12 individuals, including both operators and scavengers, across at least 10 locations. They were then transported to a waiting court in the capital city.
One of those arrested, Jude Madaiki Babayi, confirmed that the operators were aware of the registration notice but had previously registered before the process was cancelled by the Secretary to the State Government, without a refund of the money paid.
He further revealed that, in the previous registration process, which was later cancelled, operators had paid for jackets, uniforms, and other items, totalling more than N200,000.
Babayi said the operators wanted to ensure the validity of the new registration system before committing to any further payments.
“We are also concerned about the credibility of the new registration process. The account number given to us is not an official government account, and we need to investigate further before making another payment,” Babayi said.
“It’s not that we don’t want to register. We are ready, but we need to confirm that the process is legitimate before we pay again.”
“We were still in the process of complying when the officials swooped in and took us to court.”
Babayi explained that they had not refused to register, but the challenge lay in raising the N1 million required for registration with the Delta State government.
“We did not refuse to register. The issue is raising the money; it’s not easy for us,” he concluded.
In an interview with journalists after the court session, Sylvester Ofuyekpone, Assistant Director of the Department of Sanitation and Waste Management in the ministry, emphasised that the state government had imposed a ban on scavenging without registration.
“For anyone to run a PET bottle collection business, they must have Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) registration, as well as register with the Ministry of Environment.
“To ensure smooth operations, the state had engaged consultants for Delta North, Delta Central, and Delta South. However, despite sensitisation efforts, many operators resisted the registration process.
“As a result, the ministry had no choice but to initiate the crackdown to force compliance. The 12 arrested operators were taken to a waiting court in the capital city. The court issued fines to the arrested operators for failing to register their businesses.”
Ofuyekpone clarified that paying the fines did not exempt them from completing the registration process with the ministry, noting that each operator was expected to pay an annual registration fee.
“Smaller operators could form clusters and pay the fee collectively, provided they have a CAC certificate, which would serve as a prerequisite for registration.”
John Itinegbedia, a representative of the consulting firm G-Part E-C Consult Nig. Ltd., added that the raid was a consequence of non-compliance with government directives.
He stressed that the state government, particularly the Secretary to the State Government and the Commissioner for Environment, was dissatisfied with the operators’ refusal to register.
“We’ve issued notices to the PET bottle operators, but they refused to come forward to register and be profiled. So, we had to go on this operation to ensure they complied. Whether they like it or not, they must adhere to the regulations to safeguard the environment, lives, and property,” he said.
The targeted sites included the former Textile Mill premises, Ibusa Road, Okpanam Road, behind the A Division of the Nigeria Police Force, behind the MTN office, and along the expressway between Summit Road and Asaba Airport.
The raid was carried out by officials from the ministry in collaboration with the Asaba Capital Territory Development Agency and a consultant hired by the state government.
PET bottle collectors, scavengers accuse Delta Govt of fraudulent registration
Rights group demands justice as 24-year-old man arrested by police dies
The Delta State Police Command has been accused of allegedly torturing a 24-year-old man, Paul Obukowho, to death. This is as the Police Public Relations Officer of the state Command, SP Bright Edafe, said the deceased was not tortured and if the family feels there is any foul play, an autopsy is the last resort.
Read More
The Delta State Police Command has been accused of allegedly torturing a 24-year-old man, Paul Obukowho, to death. This is as the Police Public Relations Officer of the state Command, SP Bright Edafe, said the deceased was not tortured and if the family feels there is any foul play, an autopsy is the last resort.
Afghanistan releases 2,500 prisoners ahead of Eid celebrations
The Afghanistan’s Taliban government announced the release of nearly 2,500 prisoners ahead of celebrations marking the end of Ramadan, AFP reported. The exact number of prisoners held by various security bodies in Afghanistan is unclear, but a spokesman for the Office of Prison Administration told AFP on Saturday that between 11,000 and 12,000 convicted prisoners
Read More
The Afghanistan’s Taliban government announced the release of nearly 2,500 prisoners ahead of celebrations marking the end of Ramadan, AFP reported. The exact number of prisoners held by various security bodies in Afghanistan is unclear, but a spokesman for the Office of Prison Administration told AFP on Saturday that between 11,000 and 12,000 convicted prisoners
Jesus: Sola Allyson slams troll over Panam Percy Paul comparison
Nigerian gospel singer and songwriter Sola Allyson has responded to criticism regarding the absence of direct references to Jesus in her latest album. An X user with the username @Folahanayo1 called her out on Friday following gospel icon Panam Percy Paul’s revelations that he rejected a whopping £24m record deal in 1995 to reduce Jesus
Read More
Nigerian gospel singer and songwriter Sola Allyson has responded to criticism regarding the absence of direct references to Jesus in her latest album. An X user with the username @Folahanayo1 called her out on Friday following gospel icon Panam Percy Paul’s revelations that he rejected a whopping £24m record deal in 1995 to reduce Jesus
Shiite denies police claims, says six members killed, 380 arrested
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, popularly known as the Shiite group, has disputed claims by the Federal Capital Territory Police Command that its members killed a security operative and injured two during the clash that erupted on Friday as a result of their procession. The IMN also said the death of six of its members
Read More
The Islamic Movement of Nigeria, popularly known as the Shiite group, has disputed claims by the Federal Capital Territory Police Command that its members killed a security operative and injured two during the clash that erupted on Friday as a result of their procession. The IMN also said the death of six of its members
How we are positioning Lagos as Africa’s top investment destination – Ambrose-Medebem
Additionally, we actively promote Lagos at global investment forums, engaging with institutional investors, multinational corporations, and trade organisations to highlight the unique opportunities that exist within the state The post…
Wike not right for unity, Atiku defends Okowa’s choice
The 2023 Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar has clarified that he rejected former Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike as his running mate in the election because Wike was not suitable for a ticket intended to promote unity rather than division. In a statement released by his media office on Saturday, Atiku
Read More
The 2023 Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar has clarified that he rejected former Rivers State Governor Nyesom Wike as his running mate in the election because Wike was not suitable for a ticket intended to promote unity rather than division. In a statement released by his media office on Saturday, Atiku
Islamic group condemns killing of 16 travellers in Edo
An Islamic group, Jama’atu Nasril Islam, led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, has strongly condemned the recent gruesome murder of 16 travelers in Edo State, describing it as “cruel and barbaric.” The victims, who were returning from Rivers State en route to Kano State, were brutally killed by a vigilante
Read More
An Islamic group, Jama’atu Nasril Islam, led by the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammad Sa’ad Abubakar III, has strongly condemned the recent gruesome murder of 16 travelers in Edo State, describing it as “cruel and barbaric.” The victims, who were returning from Rivers State en route to Kano State, were brutally killed by a vigilante
14-year-old kills self over pregnancy in Benue
A 14-year-old Secondary School Student, identified as Nicknes Ayo, has committed suicide after her mother pressured her to name the man who impregnated her. The incident happened on Saturday at Egba in the Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State. A neighbour who identified herself as Mama Enyi told our correspondent on the phone that
Read More
A 14-year-old Secondary School Student, identified as Nicknes Ayo, has committed suicide after her mother pressured her to name the man who impregnated her. The incident happened on Saturday at Egba in the Agatu Local Government Area of Benue State. A neighbour who identified herself as Mama Enyi told our correspondent on the phone that