Push for reforms that break gender barriers – Ogun DG

Ogun State Deputy Governor, Noimot Salako-Oyedele has charged women in governance to continue to push for legislative reforms that will break systematic barriers in a bid to gain gender parity in Nigeria. Salako-Oyedele gave the charge in a keynote address at the APC Women Summit and Dialogue with the theme: Empowering the Next Generation of
Push for reforms that break gender barriers – Ogun DG

Ogun State Deputy Governor, Noimot Salako-Oyedele has charged women in governance to continue to push for legislative reforms that will break systematic barriers in a bid to gain gender parity in Nigeria.

Salako-Oyedele gave the charge in a keynote address at the APC Women Summit and Dialogue with the theme: Empowering the Next Generation of Female Leaders; Building Political Networks for Collective Success.

At the event held in Abuja, Salako-Oyedele said one of the greatest responsibilities for women in governance today is to empower the next generation of female leaders, adding that it had become imperative that the road leading to leadership is made smoother for them than it had been in their own time.

She said “Our Presence in politics today is not by accident, it is has a result of the tireless efforts of strong women who came before and who despite incredible challenges such as societal resistance, exclusion and often hostility pressed on for us to have the opportunity we have today”

She stressed that the struggle for gender-responsive policies must remain central to all advocacy as women leaders noting that representation mattered in that there must be power and a good platform in the drive to effect real change.

The Deputy Governor said men like them appreciate that women’s advancement was not a zero-sum game but rather for the entire society at large, their partnership in her words was a reminder that lifting women into leadership roles was a collaborative effort that could only ensure women get the opportunities they deserve.

She appreciated the leadership of APC Women by the First Lady of Nigeria, Oluremi Tinubu and the National Woman Leader, Dr Mary Idele Alile, for doing good work in bringing women’s voices to the forefront of the Party’s Agenda, saying it was an invaluable time to reflect, engage and strategize on ways to chart the appropriate course for women in leadership and politics in Nigeria.

In her remarks, the Wife of the President, Oluremi Tinubu admonished those present on the principles and qualities of good leadership, especially by women which include, integrity, hard work, and compassion asking them to rally around other women seeking elective positions, encourage them, and actively support them.

She advised that they avoid creating imaginary limitations and focus on their innate potential by persevering, supporting one another, and working diligently this she said will help shape the future of women in politics if done right, one woman at a time”.

Senator Oluremi Tinubu urged the National Woman Leader of the Party to join hands with other APC State Women Leaders to make a presentation to the National Assembly to further push for legislation to increase the quota of women that must have seats at the assembly.

Push for reforms that break gender barriers – Ogun DG

Ondo poll: APC will record landslide victory – Ex-lawmaker 

A member of the National Campaign Committee of the All Progressives Congress for the forthcoming Ondo State governorship election, Mr Olatunbosun Oyintiloye, has affirmed that the party would emerge victorious in the election. Oyintiloye, a former lawmaker representing the Obokun State Constituency in the Osun State House of Assembly, in a statement on Sunday, predicted
Read More

A member of the National Campaign Committee of the All Progressives Congress for the forthcoming Ondo State governorship election, Mr Olatunbosun Oyintiloye, has affirmed that the party would emerge victorious in the election. Oyintiloye, a former lawmaker representing the Obokun State Constituency in the Osun State House of Assembly, in a statement on Sunday, predicted

Read More

  • Africa
  • November 3, 2024
  • 10 views
At least 14 people die in lightning strike on refugee camp in Uganda

Officials say the victims were residents of the Palabek settlement camp, which primarily houses people displaced from South Sudan.Read More

Bauchi NUJ inaugurates five standing committees

The Bauchi State Council of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, NUJ has inaugurated five standing committees to strengthen its leadership and boost the Council’s objectives. The committees were constituted and inaugurated by the Council Chairman, Comrade Umar Sa’idu, at the NUJ Press Center’s Conference Hall on Saturday. The newly established committees include Ethics and Disciplinary,
Bauchi NUJ inaugurates five standing committees

The Bauchi State Council of the Nigerian Union of Journalists, NUJ has inaugurated five standing committees to strengthen its leadership and boost the Council’s objectives.

The committees were constituted and inaugurated by the Council Chairman, Comrade Umar Sa’idu, at the NUJ Press Center’s Conference Hall on Saturday.

The newly established committees include Ethics and Disciplinary, Education and Training, Press Center Management and Development, and Press Conference.

In his address, Umar Sa’idu urged the committee members to operate within the specified terms of reference as outlined in the NUJ Constitution.

He stated that the committees were integral to advancing the Council’s objectives and complementing its agenda.

Sa’idu also addressed the delay in forming the committees, attributing it to a lawsuit filed by some members, which prolonged the process for nearly a year before the Council won the case.

He called on the committees to fully cooperate to help the Council achieve its goals of advancing the Union in alignment with the NUJ’s broader mission.

Speaking on behalf of the committees, Chairman of the Elders Advisory Committee, Inuwa Bello, expressed appreciation for the Council’s commitment to fostering positive change.

He commended Comrade Umar Sa’idu for his proactive leadership since taking office assuring that the committees would work diligently to support the Union’s objectives and promote the welfare of its members.

Bauchi NUJ inaugurates five standing committees

Fuel Subsidy: What I would have done differently as President – Atiku

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has listed what he would have done differently if he was the President of Nigeria. Atiku said his disclosure became necessary as he was frequently inundated with inquiries by Nigerians about what he would do differently if he were at the helm of affairs of the country. In a post
Fuel Subsidy: What I would have done differently as President – Atiku

Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has listed what he would have done differently if he was the President of Nigeria.

Atiku said his disclosure became necessary as he was frequently inundated with inquiries by Nigerians about what he would do differently if he were at the helm of affairs of the country.

In a post on his X handle on Sunday, the former Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, presidential candidate in the last general election said such inquiries distract from the critical questions of what President Bola Tinubu needs to do to save Nigerians from the excruciating pains arising from his trial-and-error economic policies.

In a lengthy statement titled “What We Would Have Done Differently,” Atiku said he would tackle corruption and reposition the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited, NNPCL, which, according to him, is a huge beneficiary of the status quo.

He said he would pay particular attention to Nigeria’s poor refining infrastructure, and adopt a gradualist approach in the implementation of the subsidy reforms.

Atiku also disclosed that he would implement a robust social protection programme to support the poor in navigating the cost-of-living challenges arising largely from reform. implementation.

The statement said, “Yes, I have always advocated for the removal of subsidy on PMS because its administration has been mildly put, opaque with so much scope for arbitrariness and corruption. Mind-boggling rent profit from oil subsidy accrued to the cabals in public institutions and the private sector.

“I would have prioritized the following: “First, tackling corruption. Fighting corruption should have commenced with the repositioning of the NNPCL, which is a huge beneficiary of the status quo. Its commitment to reform and capacity to implement and enforce reforms is suspect. The subsidy regime has provided an avenue for rent-seeking, individuals, the NNPCL and its guardians will be threatened by reforms.

“Second, paying particular attention to Nigeria’s poor refining infrastructure. We are by far the most inefficient OPEC member country in terms of both the percentage of installed refining capacity that works and the percentage of crude refined. We would’ve commenced the privatization of all state-owned refineries and ensure that Nigeria starts to refine at least 50% of its current crude oil output. Nigeria should aspire to export 50% of that capacity to ECOWAS member states.

“Third, adopt a gradualist approach in the implementation of the subsidy reforms. Subsidies would not have been removed suddenly and completely. It is instructive that when I was Vice President, we adopted a gradualist approach and had completed phases 1 and 2 of the reform before our tenure ended. The incoming administration in 2007 abandoned the reforms, unfortunately. The majority of the countries that review or rationalize subsidy payments adopt a gradualist approach by phasing price increases or shifting to a universal targeted approach (Malaysia, 2022 and Indonesia, 2022 -2023). In many EU economies, complete withdrawal often takes 5 years to effect. The gradualist approach allows for adjustments, and adaptation and minimizes disruptions and vulnerability.

“Fourth, implement a robust social protection programme that will support the poor in navigating the cost-of-living challenges arising largely from reform implementation. We would’ve invested the savings from subsidy withdrawal to strengthen the productive base of the economy through infrastructure maintenance and development; to improve outcomes in education and healthcare delivery; to improve rural infrastructure and support livelihood expansion in agriculture; and develop the skills and entrepreneurial capacity of our youth in order to enhance their access to better economic opportunities.”

Fuel Subsidy: What I would have done differently as President – Atiku

Rivers Police debunk rumour of altercation in government house

The Rivers State Police Command has debunked reports of an altercation between supposed military forces allegedly loyal to former Governor Nyesom Wike and current Governor Siminalayi Fubara at the Rivers State Government House in Port Harcourt. In a statement on Sunday by its Public Relations Officer, Grace Iringe-Koko, the state command clarified that no such
Rivers Police debunk rumour of altercation in government house

The Rivers State Police Command has debunked reports of an altercation between supposed military forces allegedly loyal to former Governor Nyesom Wike and current Governor Siminalayi Fubara at the Rivers State Government House in Port Harcourt.

In a statement on Sunday by its Public Relations Officer, Grace Iringe-Koko, the state command clarified that no such incident ever happened, adding that the report is fabricated by mischief makers, intending to cause unrest in the state.

“We can confirm that there was no such incident, and this narrative is a deliberate fabrication aimed at inciting fear, confusion, and unrest within Rivers State.

“There have been no reports of armed confrontations or casualties involving Nigerian military personnel within Rivers State.

The police also stated that Governor Fubara “has neither ordered a curfew nor called for any form of take-over of security operations within the state by militant groups.”

Iringe-Koko assured that the Nigeria Police Force and other security and law enforcement agencies “remain in full control, actively maintaining peace and security in Rivers State and across the state.”

The statement advised members of the public to disregard the rumors while advising against “spreading unfounded and destructive reports”.

According to Iringe-Koko, the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Mustapha Bala reiterated the Command’s commitment to ensuring the safety and security of all residents.

The CP also advised residents of Rivers State to go about their lawful activities without fear, as “the police and other security agencies are on the ground, vigilantly ensuring that peace and security are preserved at all times.”

Rivers Police debunk rumour of altercation in government house

FG pledges commitment to universal health coverage

The Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to universal health coverage, prioritising primary healthcare and collaborative efforts with stakeholders. The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof Muhammad Pate made the pledge at the legislative dialogue on improving maternal health in Nigeria in Abuja.  A statement signed by the Head of the Public Relations
Read More

The Federal Government has reaffirmed its commitment to universal health coverage, prioritising primary healthcare and collaborative efforts with stakeholders. The Coordinating Minister of Health and Social Welfare, Prof Muhammad Pate made the pledge at the legislative dialogue on improving maternal health in Nigeria in Abuja.  A statement signed by the Head of the Public Relations

Read More

People claiming to receive credit alerts from prayer should be arrested — Peter Obi

The Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has stated that anyone claiming to receive credit alerts through prayer should be investigated for potential theft. In a clip from his interview on the Honest Bunch podcast released on Sunday, Obi emphasised the importance of hard work and productivity, stating that God cannot bless “someone who
Read More

The Labour Party’s 2023 presidential candidate, Peter Obi, has stated that anyone claiming to receive credit alerts through prayer should be investigated for potential theft. In a clip from his interview on the Honest Bunch podcast released on Sunday, Obi emphasised the importance of hard work and productivity, stating that God cannot bless “someone who

Read More

  • Sports
  • November 3, 2024
  • 14 views
Lookman Named Man Of The Match In Atalanta’s 3-0 Win Against Napoli

Ademola Lookman was named Man of the Match after helping Atalanta defeat Napoli 3-0 inside the Diego Maradona stadium in Sunday’s Serie A game. Lookman bagged a brace to help…

ICPC arraigns provost, lecturer for certificate forgery in Sokoto

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has arraigned Hauwau Gimbiya Mukhtar Abdulkarim, the serving provost of the Federal College of Education (Technical) (FCET), Gusau, alongside Abdullahi…

Business & Economy

We’re Making Vehicle Ownership Easier for Nigerians, Says Carloha
Budget reports delayed by project checks, fiscal transition – Budget office
Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy
TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region
NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari