With Tariffs, WTO Foresees Contraction in Global Merchandise Trade Volume

• China imposes 34% reciprocal tariffs on imports of US Goods
• Market extends plunge
• Trump extends deadline for TikTok to get US buyer by 75 Days

 Oluchi Chibuzor with agency report

The Director-General of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, has warned that new tariffs announced by the United States along with those introduced at the start of the year could lead to a contraction of around one percent in global merchandise trade volumes in 2025.
“I’m deeply concerned about this decline and the potential for escalation into a tariff war with a cycle of retaliatory measures that lead to further declines in trade,” Reuters quoted Okonjo-Iweala to have said in a statement.

China yesterday said it would impose reciprocal 34 percent tariffs on all imports from the United States from April 10, making good on a promise to strike back after US President Donald Trump escalated a global trade war.

Owing to the development, the global stocks selloff sent money flooding into low-risk assets like U.S. government bonds, even as safe-haven gold recoiled from Thursday’s record high alongside a further slide in crude oil brought by fears that a trade war would cause a global recession.

U.S. Treasury yields fell sharply yesterday, after China’s retaliation against Trump’s tariff plan that caught markets off guard by its scope, although declines were curtailed after a solid U.S. jobs report.

Equally, yesterday, President Trump granted TikTok another reprieve by announcing that he would extend the deadline for when the popular app had to make a deal to be separated from its Chinese owner, ByteDance, or face a ban in the United States.

Speaking further, Okonjo-Iweala warned that the tariffs have the potential to create significant trade diversion effects.

The WTO administers 74 percent of global trade, down from around 80 percent at the beginning of the year due to recent tariffs, according to the organisation.
World leaders have warned of the potential negative economic consequences of the tariffs.

“President Trump’s announcement of universal tariffs on the whole world, including the EU, is a major blow to the world economy,” European Commission President Ursula Von Der Leyen said.

Okonjo-Iweala told member states earlier on Thursday in a letter seen by Reuters that the WTO had received many questions about the tariffs.
“Many of you have been in touch about the U.S. announcement on tariffs, asking for the Secretariat to provide an economic analysis of the impact of these tariffs and any potential reaction on your trade,” Okonjo-Iweala wrote.

Observers say U.S. determination to double down on tariffs risks sidelining the Geneva-based WTO and its free-trade mandate.
On Wednesday, Trump unveiled an additional 34 percent tariff on all Chinese goods imported into the US, in a move poised to cause a major reset of relations and worsen trade tensions between the world’s two largest economies.

“This practice of the US is not in line with international trade rules, seriously undermines China’s legitimate rights and interests, and is a typical unilateral bullying practice,” the CNN quoted China’s State Council Tariff Commission to have said in a statement announcing its retaliatory tariffs.

Since returning to power in January, Trump had already levied two tranches of 10% additional duties on all Chinese imports, which the White House said was necessary to stem the flow of illicit fentanyl from the country to the US. Combined with pre-existing tariffs, that means Chinese goods arriving in the US would be effectively subject to tariffs of well over 54%.

China’s retaliation against the latest round of US tariffs is more sweeping than its earlier reciprocal actions. Beijing had responded to previous levies swiftly but moderately, imposing retaliatory tariffs on targeted US imports, including agricultural products and fuel, while taking action against certain American firms and ramping up export controls.

The latest US tariffs on Chinese goods are higher than what many analysts had expected and could fundamentally reshape relations, and roughly half a trillion dollars in trade, between the two economies after decades of interdependence.

Trump Extends Deadline for TikTok to Get US Buyer by 75 Days

 President Donald Trump yesterday granted TikTok another reprieve by announcing that he would extend the deadline for when the popular app had to make a deal to be separated from its Chinese owner, ByteDance, or face a ban in the United States.

TikTok, which had been facing a Saturday deadline for a deal, now has another 75 days to find a new owner to comply with a federal law that requires it to change its structure to resolve national security concerns. That puts the new deadline for a deal in mid-June.

The delay was President Trump’s second for TikTok this year, according to the New York Times.

He had first paused enforcement of the law in January, even after it was unanimously upheld by the Supreme Court.

“The Deal requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed,” Mr. Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social on Friday, adding that “we do not want TikTok to ‘go dark.’”

He added that he looked forward to “working with TikTok and China” to close the deal and suggested he would consider using the app as a negotiating chip with China on tariffs.

Trump’s latest action highlights the intractable nature of the dilemma with TikTok, which has endured years of scrutiny in the United States over its Chinese ties. Even as lawmakers and U.S. officials repeatedly raised questions about whether TikTok was secure, the app cemented its role as a cultural juggernaut, with more than 170 million users in the country who use it to make memes and share videos.

The delay also renewed questions about Trump’s willingness to put his presidential power ahead of the rule of law. The federal law that aimed to change TikTok’s ownership or have the app be banned was passed last year with wide bipartisan support and took effect in January. But Trump effectively overrode the law when he paused enforcement of it that month.

For now, one thing is certain: TikTok will continue to operate in the United States for the foreseeable future. In January, the app briefly went dark around the time the federal law took effect, before flickering back to life.

TikTok did not immediately return a request for comment.

The delay came after tense, last-minute negotiations and a great deal of interest from potential buyers. Vice President JD Vance, whom Mr. Trump tapped to help oversee the deal talks, said as recently as Thursday that a deal was imminent. Amazon submitted a bid, and the private equity giant Blackstone also weighed taking a stake in TikTok.

Much of the speculation in recent weeks centred around an option that stopped short of a full sale of the app. Instead, people close to the talks have described a deal in which existing U.S. investors in ByteDance would roll over their stakes into a new independent global TikTok company.

 Additional U.S. investors would be brought on to reduce the proportion of Chinese investors, they said, because the law calls for no more than 20 per cent of TikTok or its parent company to be owned by people or corporations in so-called foreign adversary countries, a list that includes China.

TikTok has long pushed back on Washington’s concerns and sought to address them without a sale. It has said it has never misused data or spread propaganda at the behest of Beijing in the United States. But despite a multi-billion-dollar security effort that sought to give the American government unique oversight of TikTok’s operations, the company could not win the trust of Washington.

​  

  • Related Posts

    US Tariffs: To Maintain Liquidity, CBN Injects Dollars into FX Market

    US Tariffs: To Maintain Liquidity, CBN Injects Dollars into FX Market

    *Says oil price slump by 12% threatens dollar inflows, external reserves

    Festus Akanbi and Nume Ekeghe

    The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Friday injected $197.71 million into the foreign exchange market to authorised dealers, in a renewed bid to ease pressure on the naira, and maintain market stability and liquidity, amid the global shocks arising from the falling oil prices and the new United States’ import tariffs.
    A statement signed by the apex bank’s Director of the Financial Markets Department, Omolara Omotunde Duke, said the CBN’s action followed noticeable movements in the FX market between April 3 and 4, 2025.

    She said the movements were being driven by broader economic shifts affecting several emerging and developing countries.

    Duke explained further that the intervention was in response to the impact of the ongoing tariff war on the crude oil price and the foreign exchange market.
    She said: “The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has noted recent movements in the foreign exchange market between April 3 and 4, 2025, reflecting broader global macroeconomic shifts currently affecting several emerging markets and developing economies.

    “These developments were a result of the recent announcement of new import tariffs by the United States government on imports from several economies, which has triggered a period of adjustment across global markets,” the statement said.

    The statement noted that crude oil, Nigeria’s main revenue earner, has now dropped more than 12 per cent in recent days, trading at around $65.50 per barrel a development the apex bank said poses significant challenges for the country’s dollar inflows and external reserves.

    It is believed that the 12 per cent decline in crude oil prices is presenting new dynamics for oil-exporting countries such as Nigeria.

    She stated: “The Central Bank of Nigeria has noted recent movements in the foreign exchange market between April 3 and 4, 2025, reflecting broader global macroeconomic shifts currently affecting several Emerging Market and Developing Economies.

    “These developments were a result of the recent announcement of new import tariffs by the United States government on imports from several economies, which has triggered a period of adjustment across global markets.

    “In line with its commitment to ensuring adequate liquidity and supporting orderly market functioning, the CBN facilitated market activity on Friday, April 4, 2025, with the provision of US$197.71 million through sales to Authorised Dealers. This measured step aligns with the Bank’s broader objective of fostering a stable, transparent, and efficient foreign exchange market.”

    Despite the turbulence, the central bank insisted Nigeria’s FX framework remains resilient and capable of adapting to changing economic conditions.
    It also reminded banks and FX dealers to stick to the rules laid out in the Nigeria FX Market Code and to maintain high standards in their dealings with customers and other market players.

    It states: “The CBN continues to monitor global and domestic market conditions and remains confident in the resilience of Nigeria’s foreign exchange framework, which is designed to adjust appropriately to evolving fundamentals.

     “All Authorised Dealers are reminded to adhere strictly to the principles outlined in the Nigeria FX Market Code and to uphold the highest standards in their dealings with clients and market counterparties.”

    Nigeria’s official exchange rate had crashed to N1,600/$1 at the end of trading on April 4, 2025, as Trump-era tariffs continued to rattle global markets.

    Data from the CBN shows the naira closed at N1,600/$1, marking a 1.9 per cent depreciation compared to the N1,569/$1 recorded the previous day.

    This is also the weakest level the naira has reached since December 4, 2024, when it closed at N1,608/$1. The exchange rate has now weakened by 3.9 per cent in the first four days of April, after closing March at N1,537/$1.

    According to data from the CBN, the exchange rate closed at N1,600/$1 on Friday, April 4, marking a 1.9 per cent depreciation from the previous day.
    The intra-day highs and lows were reported as N1,625 and N1,519 to the dollar, respectively.

     The intra-day high of N1,625 is also one of the highest levels recorded this year, suggesting that traders priced the naira at significantly weaker levels.
    In contrast, the intra-day low of N1,519/$1 indicates that some traders still priced the naira stronger, possibly betting on short-term interventions.
    The NFEM rate, which represents the average exchange rate, closed at N1,567, also the weakest the naira has traded this year and since December 4, 2024.

    ​  

    *Says oil price slump by 12% threatens dollar inflows, external reserves Festus Akanbi and Nume Ekeghe The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) on Friday injected $197.71 million into the foreign

    Tension Grips Kano over Emir Sanusi’s Invitation by IG

    Tension Grips Kano over Emir Sanusi’s Invitation by IG

    *Monarch summoned to appear on Tuesday over incident during Sallah celebrations

    Ahmad Sorondinki in Kano

    Tension has gripped Kano following a formal invitation by the Inspector General of Police (IG), Kayode Egbetokun, requesting the 16th Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II, to appear at the Force Intelligence Department (FID) headquarters in Abuja on Tuesday, April 8, 2025.

    There were speculations that the invitation might be in connection with an attack on his entourage during the Sallah celebrations.
    The state police command had arrested one Usman Sagiru in connection with the alleged killing of a vigilante member, Surajo Rabiu, in an attack on the entourage of Emir Sanusi II.

    Another vigilante member, Aminu Suleman, sustained injuries and was rushed to the Murtala Muhammed Specialists Hospital, Kano, for medical treatment.
    The state police command spokesman, SP Abdullahi Haruna, said the incident occurred while the local guards were protecting the entourage of Emir Sanusi II on their way from the Kofar Mata Eid prayer ground after observing the two rakat eid-el-fitr prayers.

    The invitation letter dated April 2, 2025, with reference number CR:3000/FID/FHQ/ABJ/VOL59/697, was signed by a Commissioner of Police (CP), Olajide Rufus Ibitoye on behalf of the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (DIG), Force Intelligence Department (FID), Abuja.

    The letter reads: “I have the directive of the Inspector-General of Police, through the Deputy Inspector-General of Police, Force Intelligence Department (FID), to invite you for an investigative meeting regarding an incident that occurred during the Sallah celebrations within your domain,” the letter stated.
    Meanwhile, the invitation has sparked tension in Kano City and the environs, with some residents describing it as an alleged move by the federal government to impose a state of emergency in the state.

    A resident of Dorayi quarters, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said: “We view this invitation as an affront to our traditional institution and as a move to harass and intimidate our Emir by the Police who failed woefully to provide security to us on Sallah day.”

    He urged President Bola Tinubu and the federal government not to allow the police to plunge Kano State into crisis.

    Another resident, who also craved anonymity, expressed concerns over the invitation, which he said could set the state ablaze and cause a state of emergency.
    “What happened on Sallah day was never in any way a Durbar but rather a movement of the Emir from his palace to Mosque, which is normal for him to ride a horse, and not to trek anyway.”

    He cautioned against breaching the peace of Kano, insisting that, “inviting Emir Muhammadu Sanusi II, because of flimsy excuses is a violation of his fundamental human rights, and would be resisted by the residents of the city.”

    ​  

    *Monarch summoned to appear on Tuesday over incident during Sallah celebrations Ahmad Sorondinki in Kano Tension has gripped Kano following a formal invitation by the Inspector General of Police (IG),

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    FG, Julius Berger to address Third Mainland Bridge deflection issues through design review in Germany 

    Education minister proposes two-year NYSC scheme, seeks expansion of skill training program 

    FG orders closure of waterway between Eko and Carter Bridges over dredging damage 

    FG orders federal tertiary institutions to publish financial, student data by May 31 

    TotalEnergies declares N27bn profit for 2024

    TotalEnergies declares N27bn profit for 2024

    JAMB says April 7 not deadline for 2025 Direct Entry registration 

    TotalEnergies reports 140.35% surge in full-year profit as revenue surpasses N1 trillion, recommends N40 final dividend 

    Ogun Govt plans film and entertainment village, begins Olumo Rock, MKO residence renovation 

    Weekly Market Wrap: All-Share Index dips 0.14% as market activity declines, banking sector records modest gains 

    BREAKING: CBN injects $197.71 million into FX market to boost liquidity and stability 

    Trade war: Trump’s 10% baseline tariffs take effect, higher duties to follow 

    Lack of funding major cause of African startups’ shutdowns in 2024 -Report  

    Nigeria’s official exchange rate crashes to N1,600/$1 as Trump tariffs rattle global markets

    Unilever, UK Government and EY, announce grant of £500,000 for five West African Startups, including three in Nigeria 

    Transcorp Hotels announces N7.6bn dividend for shareholders, plans flagship 5-Star property in Ikoyi 

    Input cost inflation cools to 10-month low as PMI hits 54.3 in March – Report 

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    French aerospace company Dassault Aviation considers setting up MRO facility at Ogun’s Gateway Airport 

    BREAKING: Nigeria’s total public debt hits N144.67 trillion in December 2024 

    Navy destroys illegal refining sites, seizes vessels across states in March operation 

    YouTube increases YouTube Premium service price by 54% in Nigeria 

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    NNPC’s New Board and CBN’s Reserve Truth | Drinks and Mics

    Meningitis: Nigeria receives over 1 million doses of Men5CV vaccine to combat outbreak 

    Gospel artists Nathaniel Bassey, Mercy Chinwo make YouTube’s most streamed Nigerian Acts globally in Q1 2025 

    NGX Lotus Islamic Index emerges as best-performing index in Q1 2025 with a gain of 8.56% 

    Top performing stocks on the NGX in Q1 2025 

    Minister Hails Dangote Cement Over Youth Development in Host Community

    Fraud Fight Now More Urgent, Expert Insists

    Between Power Bikes And Smartphones

    GMW: Access Bank Empowers Teens with Financial Literacy Skills

    Between High Inflation and Your Savings

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    P-CNGi, LNG Arete Ltd. sign $27.3 million agreement to boost CNG infrastructure in Northern Nigeria