Trump Extends Deadline for TikTok to Get US Buyer by 75 Days

Oluchi Chibuzor with agency report

President Donald Trump yesterday granted TikTok another reprieve by announcing that he would extend the deadline for when the popular app had to make a deal to be separated from its Chinese owner, ByteDance, or face a ban in the United States.

TikTok, which had been facing a Saturday deadline for a deal, now has another 75 days to find a new owner to comply with a federal law that requires it to change its structure to resolve national security concerns. That puts the new deadline for a deal in mid-June.

The delay was President Trump’s second for TikTok this year, according to the New York Times.

He had first paused enforcement of the law in January, even after it was unanimously upheld by the Supreme Court.

“The Deal requires more work to ensure all necessary approvals are signed,” Mr. Trump wrote in a post on Truth Social on Friday, adding that “we do not want TikTok to ‘go dark.’”

He added that he looked forward to “working with TikTok and China” to close the deal and suggested he would consider using the app as a negotiating chip with China on tariffs.

Trump’s latest action highlights the intractable nature of the dilemma with TikTok, which has endured years of scrutiny in the United States over its Chinese ties. Even as lawmakers and U.S. officials repeatedly raised questions about whether TikTok was secure, the app cemented its role as a cultural juggernaut, with more than 170 million users in the country who use it to make memes and share videos.

The delay also renewed questions about Trump’s willingness to put his presidential power ahead of the rule of law. The federal law that aimed to change TikTok’s ownership or have the app be banned was passed last year with wide bipartisan support and took effect in January. But Trump effectively overrode the law when he paused enforcement of it that month.

For now, one thing is certain: TikTok will continue to operate in the United States for the foreseeable future. In January, the app briefly went dark around the time the federal law took effect, before flickering back to life.

TikTok did not immediately return a request for comment.

The delay came after tense, last-minute negotiations and a great deal of interest from potential buyers. Vice President JD Vance, whom Mr. Trump tapped to help oversee the deal talks, said as recently as Thursday that a deal was imminent. Amazon submitted a bid, and the private equity giant Blackstone also weighed taking a stake in TikTok.

Much of the speculation in recent weeks centred around an option that stopped short of a full sale of the app. Instead, people close to the talks have described a deal in which existing U.S. investors in ByteDance would roll over their stakes into a new independent global TikTok company.

Additional U.S. investors would be brought on to reduce the proportion of Chinese investors, they said, because the law calls for no more than 20 per cent of TikTok or its parent company to be owned by people or corporations in so-called foreign adversary countries, a list that includes China.

It isn’t clear whether that kind of arrangement would satisfy the law, or the policymakers who pushed for it.

“There isn’t a ton that Congress can do,” said Alan Rozenshtein, a former national security adviser to the Justice Department and an associate professor at the University of Minnesota Law School. “If Republicans and Democrats cared, they could make this a legislative priority and do hearings about this, but my sense is they don’t have much influence nor much appetite.”

The concerns about TikTok’s Chinese ownership have been brewing for years. Intelligence officials and lawmakers have argued that ByteDance could hand over sensitive U.S. user data to Beijing, like location information, based on laws that allow the Chinese government to secretly demand data from Chinese companies and citizens for intelligence-gathering operations. They have also claimed that China could use TikTok’s content recommendations to fuel misinformation, a concern that escalated in the United States after the start of the Israel-Hamas war and during the presidential election.

TikTok has long pushed back on Washington’s concerns and sought to address them without a sale. It has said it has never misused data or spread propaganda at the behest of Beijing in the United States. But despite a multi billion Dollar security effort that sought to give the American government unique oversight of TikTok’s operations, the company could not win the trust of Washington.

​  

  • Related Posts

    Anti-Trump Rallies Draw Thousands Across US

    Anti-Trump Rallies Draw Thousands Across US

    Thousands of people descended yesterday on Washington’s National Mall and other cities across the United States in opposition to the policies of Donald Trump, in the largest protests since he returned to the presidency.

    A big “HANDS OFF!” banner stretched across the stage of an outdoor theatre just a few blocks from the White House, with protesters holding signs that read “Not My President!”, “Fascism has Arrived,” “Stop Evil,” and “Hands Off Our Social Security.”

    Jane Ellen Saums, 66, said she was dismayed to see the Trump administration dismantling America’s long-standing democratic institutions.

    “It’s extremely concerning to see what is happening to our government, and all of the checks and balances that have been put in place that are being totally run over — everything from the environment to personal rights,” said the real estate worker who showed up at the protest dressed as Mother Nature, wrapped in ivy and holding a globe.

    At a time of spreading global resentment against the Republican president, rallies took place earlier in international capitals including Paris, Rome and London.
    A loose US coalition of dozens of left-leaning groups like MoveOn and Women’s March organised “Hands Off” events in more than 1,000 towns and cities and in every congressional district, the groups say.

    The unifying theme: the growing resentment of what the group Indivisible has called “the most brazen power grab in modern history,” led by Trump, his advisor Elon Musk “and their billionaire cronies.”

    Trump has angered many Americans by moving aggressively to downsize the government, impose his conservative values and sharply pressure even friendly countries over trade terms — causing stock markets to tank.

    “Trump, Musk, and their billionaire cronies are orchestrating an all-out assault on our government, our economy, and our basic rights -– enabled by Congress every step of the way,” Indivisible said on its website.

    Many Democrats are irate that their party, in the minority in both the House of Representatives and Senate, has seemed so helpless to resist Trump’s aggressive moves.

    Over 5,000 people convened just a few blocks from the White House at noon local time on the National Mall in Washington, with prominent Democrats including Representative Jamie Raskin set to speak.

    “They’ve woken up a sleeping giant, and they haven’t seen nothing yet,” activist Graylan Hagler, 71, told the gathering crowd.

    “We will not sit down, we will not be quiet, and we will not go away.”

    Separately, a March for Palestine was scheduled in Washington around the same time.

    Saturday’s demonstrations could offer a temperature reading of just how hot voters’ feelings are.

    A Women’s March protest shortly after Trump’s first election in 2016 drew an estimated half-million people to Washington; advance estimates for Saturday’s turnout have been far smaller.

    As Trump continues aggressively shaking things up in Washington and beyond, his approval rating has fallen to its lowest since taking office, according to recent polling.

    But despite pushback around the globe to his sweeping imposition of tariffs, and bubbling resentment from many Americans, the White House has dismissed the protests, and the Republican president has given no sign of relenting.

    “My policies will never change,” he said Friday.

    ​  

    Thousands of people descended yesterday on Washington’s National Mall and other cities across the United States in opposition to the policies of Donald Trump, in the largest protests since he

    Police Issue Red Alert on Planned April 7 Nationwide Protest

    Police Issue Red Alert on Planned April 7 Nationwide Protest

    *Say obstructing officers in line of duty criminal offence

    Sunday Ehigiator

    The Lagos State Police Command has issued a directive to all commanders and officers within its jurisdiction, alerting them to a planned nationwide protest.
    This is just as the command has reminded members of the public that obstructing police officers while discharging their lawful duties is a criminal offence.
    A civil society organisation, Take-It-Back (TIB) movement, and other groups had announced a nationwide protest scheduled for April 7, 2025.
    In a statement on Friday, the National Coordinator of TIB, Juwon Sanyaolu, explained that the core demands of the protesters include the repeal of the Cybercrime Act and the end of emergency rule in Rivers State, which they describe as a form of military dictatorship under President Bola Tinubu’s administration.

    However, the Lagos Police Command said intelligence reports revealed that “some groups operating under the guise of civil society organisations” are preparing to mobilise protests across Nigeria.

    According to a circular signed by Deputy Commissioner of Police, Tijani O. Fatai, the protest is expected to draw attention to what the organisers describe as the prevailing high cost of living and government suppression of free speech.

    The circular reads, “Furthermore, the groups have flooded the social media platforms with narrations geared towards winning public sympathy, discrediting the government, and galvanising support for the protest. Experience has shown that criminals may want to seize the opportunity of the protest to cause mayhem, particularly to launch attacks on government facilities and opposition leaders to disrupt socio-economic activities in the State, amongst others.

    “Consequently, the Commissioner of Police has ordered security measures to be beefed up around critical installations and other strategic locations across the State to forestall any untoward development before, during, and after the proposed protest.

    “2. MISSION: This operation order is aimed at achieving the following: To ensure that the protest is carried out without any security hitch;
    “To prevent criminals/hoodlums/miscreants from hijacking the protest and/or perpetrating any evil act before, during and after protest; to ensure notable points of convergence for such protest in the State, particularly, Gani Fawehinmi Park; National Stadium; Labour House, Yaba; Ikorodu Roundabout; Ikeja Underbridge; Obalende Underbridge; Ikotun Roundabout; Allen Roundabout; Iyana-Iba; Chevron Roundabout: Ajah; Oshodi; Iyana-Ipaja; Abule Egba; Trade-Fair; Cele Express/Oke-Afa/Ejigbo; Apple Junction, Ajao Estate, I jora-Olopa Underbridge; Ojuelegba; Falomo; Marina/Broad Street; Otedola Underbridge; Iponri/Breweries; Igando; LASU/Ojo; Mushin, Idi-Oro; Ketu/Mile 12 Underbridge.

    “Berger Bridge; Pen-Cinema; Lekki Toll-Gate; Lekki/Ikoyi Link Bridge By Admiralty Way are well dominated by Policemen to forestall breakdown of law and order; to ensure adequate security around all critical infrastructures/installations, particularly, Eqbin Terminal, Ijede; INEC Offices; Print and Electronic Media Houses; Police facilities; State House Alausa/Marina; Secretariat Alausa; Filling Stations; National Theatre, Iganmu; Rice Mill, Imota; Food Hubs/Warehouses; Major Markets/Parks/Hospitals/Malls; Train Stations; LASWA Ferry Terminal at Bariga/Langbasa/Ikorodu; Cowrie, Victoria Island; LAMATA Bus Terminals at Abule-Egba/Iyana-Oworo/Ikotun/Igando/Ojodu/Oshodi/ Berger; Sangotedo; Fela Shrine; Federal/State High Court/Court of Appeal and other government facilities across the State; etc.

    “To ensure all law-abiding citizens go about their normal business throughout the period unhindered; to ensure free flow of traffic in the State throughout the protest; to ensure security of lives and property in the state before, during and after the protest.”

    In another development, the state police command has said that obstructing police officers while discharging their lawful duties is a criminal offence.
    The state PPRO, Hundeyin, made this known in a statement issued yesterday in Lagos against the backdrop of a viral video incident at Omole Estate in the Ojodu area of the state.

    “In the video, estate security personnel were seen preventing uniformed police officers from gaining access into the estate to enforce the law, prevent crime, and ensure security and safety, which are part of the constitutional responsibilities of the police force.

    “The police personnel in the video, after a thorough verification, are not serving with the command.

    “They were clearly personnel on escort and protection duty to the state from other police detachments outside Lagos State,” he said.

    Hundeyin said that there was a need to educate those involved and the public that obstructing police officers in the discharge of their duties and other statutory responsibilities was not only improper but unlawful and punishable under the laws of the land.

    According to him, the state Commissioner of Police, CP Olohundare Jimoh, was disappointed that the management of Omole Estate could not report the incident to the police.

    ​  

    *Say obstructing officers in line of duty criminal offence Sunday Ehigiator The Lagos State Police Command has issued a directive to all commanders and officers within its jurisdiction, alerting them

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    FG orders federal tertiary institutions to publish financial, student data by May 31 

    TotalEnergies declares N27bn profit for 2024

    TotalEnergies declares N27bn profit for 2024

    JAMB says April 7 not deadline for 2025 Direct Entry registration 

    TotalEnergies reports 140.35% surge in full-year profit as revenue surpasses N1 trillion, recommends N40 final dividend 

    Ogun Govt plans film and entertainment village, begins Olumo Rock, MKO residence renovation 

    Weekly Market Wrap: All-Share Index dips 0.14% as market activity declines, banking sector records modest gains 

    BREAKING: CBN injects $197.71 million into FX market to boost liquidity and stability 

    Trade war: Trump’s 10% baseline tariffs take effect, higher duties to follow 

    Lack of funding major cause of African startups’ shutdowns in 2024 -Report  

    Nigeria’s official exchange rate crashes to N1,600/$1 as Trump tariffs rattle global markets

    Unilever, UK Government and EY, announce grant of £500,000 for five West African Startups, including three in Nigeria 

    Transcorp Hotels announces N7.6bn dividend for shareholders, plans flagship 5-Star property in Ikoyi 

    Input cost inflation cools to 10-month low as PMI hits 54.3 in March – Report 

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    French aerospace company Dassault Aviation considers setting up MRO facility at Ogun’s Gateway Airport 

    BREAKING: Nigeria’s total public debt hits N144.67 trillion in December 2024 

    Navy destroys illegal refining sites, seizes vessels across states in March operation 

    YouTube increases YouTube Premium service price by 54% in Nigeria 

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    NNPC’s New Board and CBN’s Reserve Truth | Drinks and Mics

    Meningitis: Nigeria receives over 1 million doses of Men5CV vaccine to combat outbreak 

    Gospel artists Nathaniel Bassey, Mercy Chinwo make YouTube’s most streamed Nigerian Acts globally in Q1 2025 

    NGX Lotus Islamic Index emerges as best-performing index in Q1 2025 with a gain of 8.56% 

    Top performing stocks on the NGX in Q1 2025 

    Minister Hails Dangote Cement Over Youth Development in Host Community

    Fraud Fight Now More Urgent, Expert Insists

    Between Power Bikes And Smartphones

    GMW: Access Bank Empowers Teens with Financial Literacy Skills

    Between High Inflation and Your Savings

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    P-CNGi, LNG Arete Ltd. sign $27.3 million agreement to boost CNG infrastructure in Northern Nigeria 

    All-Share holds steady above N66 trillion, slips by 0.01%; UBA and UCAP lead trading volume 

    FCT minister inaugurates solar-powered farmers’ Market in Utako 

    US tariffs may shrink Global Trade by 1% – WTO DG