Tinubu, Buhari Mourn Galadiman of Kano, Abbas Sanusi

Deji Elumoye in Abuja

President Bola Tinubu and his predecessor, Muhammadu Buhari have mourned the senior Kano Emirate official and Galadiman Kano, Alhaji Abbas Sanusi who died at the ripe age of 92.

The President, in a release issued on Wednesday by his Adviser on Information and Strategy, Bayo Onanuga, expressed grief over the passing of Alhaji Abbas Sanusi, after a protracted illness.

 President Tinubu described the deceased, who is survived by many children and grandchildren including the Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano stare, Alhaji Abdullahi Abbas, as a strong pillar of the traditional institution, its survival and development.

The President said the services of the late Sanusi, a titleholder since 1959, would be appreciated far beyond Kano Emirate and Kano State.

He condoled with the government and people of Kano State, the Kano Emirate Council and the family of the late chief for the irreparable loss.

President Tinubu prayed to Allah to admit the Galadima in Jannatul Firdaus and comfort the family.

On his part, former President Buhari said he received with sadness, the news of the death of Alhaji  Sanusi.

Reacting to the news of the death, the ex- president said “Kano, indeed the nation has lost a stabilizer and a moderating voice in the rapidly transforming society that Kano is.

“The Galadima was the effective link between the past and the present; an embodiment of institutional memory and traditions who was key to the governance and the administration of the royal palace. Abbas Sanusi is irreplaceable. May his soul rest in peace.”

The former president condoled with the family of the deceased, the Kano Emirate Council and the government, and the people of the state.

​  

  • Related Posts

    NJC Not Involved in Imo Acting CJ’s Appointment 

    NJC Not Involved in Imo Acting CJ’s Appointment 

    Alex Enumah in Abuja 

    The National Judicial Council (NJC) has distance itself from the appointment of an acting Chief Judge for Imo State.

    The body, in a statement, emphasized that it neither gave approval to Governor Hope Uzodinma to appoint an acting CJ for the state nor was involved in the process that produced Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is the fourth most senior judge as the Acting Chief Judge.

    NJC’s Deputy Director, Information, Kemi Babalola Ogedengbe, who issued the statement on Friday, explained that the NJC was yet to look into the issue of the appointment of an acting CJ for Imo State.

    “The attention of the Council has been drawn to the news making rounds that the Governor of Imo State, Senator Hope Uzodimma, had purportedly appointed Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is No. 4 in the hierarchy of Judges seniority in Imo State High Court, as the acting Chief Judge of the State, in view of the recent disciplinary action taken against the erstwhile Chief Judge of the state.

    “The National Judicial Council by this press release wants to clarify to the public that the Governor of Imo State had earlier written to the Council requesting for its approval to appoint Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is No. 4 in the hierarchy of seniority as acting Chief Judge of the state.

    “The governor in his said correspondence to the Council, gave reasons why in his own view, the three most senior Judges are not appointable.

    “The Council is informing the public that the said letter is yet to be considered, as deliberation on the request is slated for the next Council meeting, which is scheduled to hold on April 29 and 30, 2025.

    “The Council is therefore, by this press release, informing the public that:

    (i) The governor’s request is yet to be considered by the Council.

    (ii) The Council has not given approval to the governor for the appointment of the Acting Chief Judge.

    (iii) The Council is not a party to the process of the purported appointment of Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu as the Acting Chief Judge,” the statement read.

    ​  

    Alex Enumah in Abuja  The National Judicial Council (NJC) has distance itself from the appointment of an acting Chief Judge for Imo State. The body, in a statement, emphasized that

    Suspension: Court Restrains Akpabio, Akpoti-Uduaghan, Others from Speaking with Media 

    Suspension: Court Restrains Akpabio, Akpoti-Uduaghan, Others from Speaking with Media 

    Alex Enumah in Abuja 

    A Federal High Court in Abuja has restrained the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, suspended Kogi Senator, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, and three others from speaking with the media on issues relating to the suspension issued Akpoti-Uduaghan filed before the court.

    The restraining order, issued on Friday by Justice Binta Nyako, was sequel to a complaint by Akpabio’s lawyer, Mr Kehinde Ogunwumiju (SAN).

    The senior lawyer at Friday’s proceedings had accused Akpoti-Uduaghan of going from one television house to another, granting press interviews on issues relating to her case, currently pending before the court.

    Ogunwumiju added that the Kogi Central Senator has also been to the BBC and CNN to speak on the issue.

    Reacting, Justice Nyako ordered that there shall be no press interviews by all parties and their lawyers as regard the subject matter of the case.

    While observing that the case was sub-judice, she further barred parties and their lawyers from engaging in streaming of proceedings in the case on social media.

    At the commencement of proceedings on Friday, the plaintiff’s lawyer, Jibril Okutepa (SAN), told the court that the case was coming up first, having been transferred from another court, presided over by Justice Obiora Egwuatu.

    He informed the court that parties have filed and exchanged all relevant documents, except one and prayed the court to grant a consolidated hearing of all pending applications along with the substantive suit.

    According to the senior lawyer, time was of the essence because his client’s suspension was for a limited period, adding that Akpoti-Uduaghan was desirous of expeditious determination of the case.

    Responding, the Clerk of the National Assembly represented by Mr Charles Iyiola as well as Paul Daudu (SAN), who represented the Senate, did not object to Okutepa’s application that the substantive case should be heard with the objections raised by the defendants.

    However, the application was opposed by Ogunwumiju and Umeh Kalu (SAN), representing the Chairman, Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Code of Conduct, Senator Neda Imasuem.

    In a short ruling, Justice Nyako granted the application and held that the court would hear all pending applications, including preliminary objections along with the substantive suit.

    The judge subsequently adjourned till May 12 for hearing.

    Listed as defendants in the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/384/2025 are the Clerk of the National Assembly, the Senate, the President of the Senate and Senator Imasuem (Chairman, Senate Committee on Ethics, Privileges and Code of Conduct).

    Akpoti-Uduaghan had approached the court to challenge her investigation and subsequent suspension for six months over alleged misconduct.

    Amongst others, the plaintiff claimed that she was not given fair hearing before her suspension by the Senate.

    ​  

    Alex Enumah in Abuja  A Federal High Court in Abuja has restrained the Senate President, Godswill Akpabio, suspended Kogi Senator, Natasha Akpoti-Uduaghan, and three others from speaking with the media

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Billionaire Zuckerberg’s net worth drops $17.9 billion as Meta stocks dip  

    Forex losses push International Breweries to N111.8 billion loss in 2024 

    FCMB Group reports pre-tax profit of N111.8 billion as interest and operating income surge 

    CBN links foreign debt service to $2.57 billion drop in FX reserves in Q1 2025 

    Dangote among global billionaires who lost combined $208 billion in one day from Trump tariffs 

    Nairametrics set to host first-ever Capital Market Choice Awards (NCMA) 

    eDryv: A Game-Changer in Urban Mobility 

    BREAKING: Court bars Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, and Senate from granting interviews over alleged misconduct case 

    Unfair credit ratings pushing up costs of borrowing for African countries – ECA 

    China retaliates with 34% tariffs on US imports, escalating trade war 

    Nigeria seeks fresh $10.50 million World Bank loan to boost CBN’s technical capacity 

    Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags    

    realme C75: Unbreakable Champion Beyond Quality—Redefining Smartphone Durability in Nigeria 

    House of Tara enters a new era: Meet the new Managing Director

    Lagos Independence Bridge to reopen on Sunday, traffic to be restricted to half carriageway – Umahi 

    World’s 2nd richest, Bezos loses $16 billion in 24 hours as Amazon shares fall 

    Brent Crude down by $10 a Barrel, Worst day since 2022

    Why Trump’s reciprocal tariffs may have less direct impact on Africa—Afreximbank Research 

    European organization offers job opportunities with work visa sponsorships for international applicants 

    Top 10 Nigerian stockbrokers by transaction value in Q1 2025 

    Nigerian Senate to address critical Tax Reform Bills after Easter holidays 

    Court orders final forfeiture of FIRS staff’s Abuja, Kano properties over alleged money laundering  

    Trump Tariffs: Why US matters less to Nigeria’s trade story – New report

    EFCC boss vows to tackle non-performing loans  associated with fraud across Nigeria  

    ISA 2025: Nigeria formally recognizes cryptocurrency as securities in new SEC Act 2025 

    Mining Marshals shut down illegal site in Nasarawa, arrest three foreigners 

    SON issues 107 product certifications to 44 companies in Anambra 

    Kwara Government partners IsDB to invest $57.2 million in livestock and rural development 

    Robust frameworks needed for transparent local government fund management in Nigeria – ICPC 

    ICPC re-arraigns Professor Igbinoba over alleged degree peddling and forgery in Benin 

    MTN Group CEO Ralph Mupita appointed as new GSMA Deputy Chair

    9PSB Records 50% Transaction Growth with Qore’s BankOne 

    Essaadi: Foreign Exchange Volatility to Persist in 2025

    Interswitch Donates to Tertiary Institutions to Boost STEM Education

    Hungarian Govt to Bolster Socio-economic Development in Sokoto

    Julius Berger rejigging infrastructural development in Rivers