Rohr Insists It is Not Over Yet for Nigeria, Benin Republic

Duro Ikhazuagbe 

Former Super Eagles Head Coach, Gernot Rohr, believes the chances of either Nigeria or Benin Republic winning the Group C ticket to the 2026 World Cup is not over yet despite South Africa having a clear lead above the other five teams in the standing.

Rohr who is leading Benin Republic’s Cheetahs in their quests for their first ever qualification for the FIFA World Cup, insisted shortly news broke that South Africa are likely to be deducted three points for fielding an ineligible player against Lesotho in their Match-day 5 last Friday, that if that happens, both Nigeria and Benin stand to benefit from it.

“Both Benin and Nigeria will have a chance (to qualify for 2026 World Cup) if South Africa lose three points for playing a player who is suspended,” Rohr stressed.

South Africa top Group C with 13 points after six rounds of matches, Rwanda are second on eight points and a better goals difference than third-placed Benin, while Nigeria are fourth with seven points. Lesotho are fifth with six points, while Zimbabwe are bottom after they recorded four points.

Should South Africa forfeit three points, Lesotho that will be the beneficiary, will automatically step up to nine points and second in the standing behind the Bafana Bafana who will now be having just one point edge with 10 points.

Despite anger in Nigeria  that Super Eagles conceded a last minute equaliser against Zimbabwe last Tuesday in Uyo, Rohr insisted he was not susprised that the Warriors held his former team to the draw because the Southern African side have a good team.

He however blamed the Muslim Ramadan fasting, which sapped the energy of his Benin Cheetahs for their 0-2 home loss to South Africa Tuesday night.

Meanwhile, South Africa Coach, Hugo Broos, has refused to comment on the issue that his team fielded a suspended player in their home win over Lesotho in a 2026 World Cup qualifier.

Midfielder Teboho Mokoena was booked in South Africa’s opening qualifier against Benin in 2023, and the fourth qualifier against Zimbabwe last year, meaning he should have served an automatic one-match ban, according to FIFA’s rule 63 governing World Cup qualifiers.

Broos said he cannot comment on the matter, but believes it would be resolved in the coming days.

“I cannot comment on that at this point,” the experienced Belgian coach said.

“It is an issue that will be resolved in the coming days, so I ask that you not expect any further information from me.

“No comment”

A source close to SAFA blamed “administrative incompetence” for Mokoena taking to the field when he should not have.

“The team manager should have notified the coach (Hugo Broos) that Mokoena has two yellows. He was not supposed to play,” he lamented.

There are however fears in Nigerian football circles that the Lesotho may have lodged the protest to FIFA late.

FIFA’s  competition regulations state that any protest about player eligibility should be lodged within 24 hours of the end of a match. It is not yet clear when Lesotho filed the protest to FIFA headquarters in Zurich.

  • Related Posts

    Galatasaray accuse Mourinho of ‘physical attack’ on manager Okan Buruk

    Galatasaray accuse Mourinho of ‘physical attack’ on manager Okan Buruk

    Osimhen fires brace against Fenerbahçe, pledges commitment to Galatasaray

    Osimhen fires brace against Fenerbahçe, pledges commitment to Galatasaray

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Truecaller surpasses 450 million users as growth accelerates in Nigeria, other markets 

    UNICEF donates over 2.5 million doses of oral polio vaccines to Bauchi state 

    Tinubu approves N20 billion for space agency to regulate Nigeria’s space sector 

    China threatens countermeasures as Trump’s tariffs escalate trade tensions 

    JAMB releases 2025 UTME-Mock notification slip for printing 

    JP Morgan seeks merchant banking licence from CBN to bolster African presence 

    EU prepares retaliatory tariffs as Trump’s trade policies spark global economic concerns 

    Lagosians suffer “worst traffic gridlock ever” as Independence Bridge repairs cause widespread chaos 

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Bitcoin dips to $82,000 amid global trade tensions triggered by Trump tariffs 

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Elon Musk’s Neuralink begins global recruitment for research on brain implants 

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Nigeria, Japan partner on Naira-denominated venture capital fund to boost startups 

    South Africa’s PIC invests $40 million in Africa50 for infrastructure development 

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    Netflix enhances language options on TV to attract global viewers 

    Court jails another convicted airline passenger for 3 months over non-declaration of $30,000 in Lagos 

    CBN denies fake circular introducing N5,000 and N10,000 notes 

    Nigerian Military, Briech UAS unveil Africa’s first indigenous attack drones and bombs 

    Billionaire Bezos’ Amazon makes eleventh-hour bid for TikTok 

    Market Wrap: All-Share ends in the red, slips by 0.12% as UPDCREIT and AFRIPRUD shine 

    Lagos eyes N5 billion in sales at 2025 tourism fair 

    Amazon, OnlyFans founder join race to acquire TikTok as April 5 deadline nears 

    FG reopens Lagos Independence Bridge ahead of schedule, opts for palliative fixes 

    E-FRAUD AND DIGITAL BANKING SECURITY

    Petroleum Minister, Lokpobiri Lauds Caverton as a Leader in Aviation Industry 

    Sterling Bank Leads Protest for Removal of Bank Transfer Charges

    SMEs Tasked with Creativity  to Compete  with Industry Giants

    Leadway Pensure  Highlights Benefits of Additional  Voluntary Contributions

    Empowering Local Communities through CSR

    Addressing SMEs’ Cash Flow Challenges with FinTech Solutions

    FG, Relevant Bodies  Urged to Support Training of Actuarial Scientists

    List of countries facing Trump tariffs from the United States, Nigeria escapes for now

    PalmPay Unveils New Debit Card in Partnership with Verve, Marks Its Evolution into Full-Service Digital Banking 

    FCT minister approves recruitment of 34 resident doctors for seven-year training to boost healthcare