NJC Not Involved in Imo Acting CJ’s Appointment 

Alex Enumah in Abuja 

The National Judicial Council (NJC) has distance itself from the appointment of an acting Chief Judge for Imo State.

The body, in a statement, emphasized that it neither gave approval to Governor Hope Uzodinma to appoint an acting CJ for the state nor was involved in the process that produced Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is the fourth most senior judge as the Acting Chief Judge.

NJC’s Deputy Director, Information, Kemi Babalola Ogedengbe, who issued the statement on Friday, explained that the NJC was yet to look into the issue of the appointment of an acting CJ for Imo State.

“The attention of the Council has been drawn to the news making rounds that the Governor of Imo State, Senator Hope Uzodimma, had purportedly appointed Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is No. 4 in the hierarchy of Judges seniority in Imo State High Court, as the acting Chief Judge of the State, in view of the recent disciplinary action taken against the erstwhile Chief Judge of the state.

“The National Judicial Council by this press release wants to clarify to the public that the Governor of Imo State had earlier written to the Council requesting for its approval to appoint Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu, who is No. 4 in the hierarchy of seniority as acting Chief Judge of the state.

“The governor in his said correspondence to the Council, gave reasons why in his own view, the three most senior Judges are not appointable.

“The Council is informing the public that the said letter is yet to be considered, as deliberation on the request is slated for the next Council meeting, which is scheduled to hold on April 29 and 30, 2025.

“The Council is therefore, by this press release, informing the public that:

(i) The governor’s request is yet to be considered by the Council.

(ii) The Council has not given approval to the governor for the appointment of the Acting Chief Judge.

(iii) The Council is not a party to the process of the purported appointment of Hon. Justice Theophilus Nnamdi Nzeukwu as the Acting Chief Judge,” the statement read.

​  

  • Related Posts

    Court Restrains PDP from Tempering with Dan Orbih’s South-south Leadership

    Court Restrains PDP from Tempering with Dan Orbih’s South-south Leadership

    Chuks Okocha

    A Federal High Court in Abuja presided over by Hon. Justice Inyang Ekwo, has issued a restraining order preventing the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from interfering with the leadership and activities of the Dan Orbih-led South-south Zonal Working Committee.

    The committee was elected on February 22, 2025, in Calabar, Cross River State.

    The restraining order was pending the final determination of suit number FHC/ABJ/CS/505/2025, filed by Chief Orbih and his committee members.

    The court also restrained the Chief Emmanuel Ogidi-led Caretaker Committee, appointed by the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) from parading themselves or functioning as members of the South-south Zonal Working Committee or leaders of the party in the zone.

    Justice Ekwo also ordered an expedited hearing of the main suit.

    The plaintiffs are represented by Chief Ferdinand Orbih, SAN, while the 2nd, 11th, and 12th defendants are represented by B. F. Folorunsho, and the 3rd to 6th defendants by M. S. Atolagbe.

    The 7th to 9th defendants are represented by Eno Idem, SAN.

    The case was adjourned to Friday, April 11, 2025, for hearing.

    ​  

    Chuks Okocha A Federal High Court in Abuja presided over by Hon. Justice Inyang Ekwo, has issued a restraining order preventing the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from interfering with the leadership and

    Abia Beams Searchlight on Traditional Rulers over Alleged Complicity in Crime

    Abia Beams Searchlight on Traditional Rulers over Alleged Complicity in Crime

    .Says those harbouring criminals would be treated as criminals

    Emmanuel Ugwu-Nwogo in Umuahia

    Abia State Government has said that traditional rulers in the state would now come under the scrutiny of security agencies to determine those either directly involved in criminal activities or in aiding and abetting crime.

    Commissioner for Information, Prince Okey Kanu, made this known yesterday while briefing the media on the outcome of the State Executive Council meeting for the first week of April 2025.

    He said that security agencies were asked to start beaming their searchlights on the royal fathers following the rescue of a prominent Abia billionaire businessman, Chief Obasi Lawson, who was abducted on March 4, 2025 at Azumi in Ukwa East Local Government.

    The State Police Command had said that Lawson was abducted by gunmen at about 7p.m. fateful day, adding that both his driver and a security aide were killed by the hoodlums.

    Though Kanu did not give details on how the businessman regained his freedom, as it has to do with “security matters”, he stated that it has become necessary to sieve traditional rulers in order to ascertain those harbouring criminals in their domains.

    He said that any royal father found to be harbouring criminals would be treated as one, adding that the government had previously warned traditional rulers and community leaders against providing cover for criminals.

    “The state government is frowning seriously at this (harbouring criminals) and the warning is that if you are caught in the act of harbouring criminals, you will be treated as one,” Kanu stated.

    The Information Commissioner equally warned town union leaders against looking the other way while crime is being committed, insisting that they must be vigilant and report to security agencies all cases of suspicious movements.

    “Let me reiterate the old cliche that ‘when you see something, you say something’. We have to even go further to say that when you see something, take action by making discreet reports to the security agencies,” Kanu said.

    The Abia government spokesman stressed the need for Abia residents to remain vigilant, adding that town unions and traditional rulers must be alive to their duties of keeping watch over their domains.

    Meanwhile, the Alex Otti administration has announced that it would discontinue the age-long practice of maintenance works on the 19.5 kilometre Umuahia-Bende federal road.

    According to the Information Commissioner, government has seen the futility of the doing palliative works on a road that has long exhausted its lifespan saying that the road has been recommended for total reconstruction.

    He said that the decision to reconstruct the road was based on the report by the State Ministry of Works which stated that Umuahia-Bende Road long expired hence there is no economical value in continuous maintenance of the road.

    However, Kanu pointed out a snag in embarking on the total reconstruction of the road, saying that “the road is a federal road and there will be necessary interactions between the state government and federal authorities.”

    He hinted that once the federal authorities give the green light, Abia would commence full rehabilitation of the road and end the perennial patch-ups that served no purpose.

    ​  

    .Says those harbouring criminals would be treated as criminals Emmanuel Ugwu-Nwogo in Umuahia Abia State Government has said that traditional rulers in the state would now come under the scrutiny of

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    NNPC announces new senior management team

    French aerospace company Dassault Aviation considers setting up MRO facility at Ogun’s Gateway Airport 

    BREAKING: Nigeria’s total public debt hits N144.67 trillion in December 2024 

    Navy destroys illegal refining sites, seizes vessels across states in March operation 

    YouTube increases YouTube Premium service price by 54% in Nigeria 

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ecobank launches suit to stop Barbican Capital, others from selling shares in FBN Holdings

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Ojulari takes over as new NNPC chief

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    Nigerian govt, LNG Arete sign $27 million agreement to develop mini LNG plant

    NNPC’s New Board and CBN’s Reserve Truth | Drinks and Mics

    Meningitis: Nigeria receives over 1 million doses of Men5CV vaccine to combat outbreak 

    Gospel artists Nathaniel Bassey, Mercy Chinwo make YouTube’s most streamed Nigerian Acts globally in Q1 2025 

    NGX Lotus Islamic Index emerges as best-performing index in Q1 2025 with a gain of 8.56% 

    Top performing stocks on the NGX in Q1 2025 

    Minister Hails Dangote Cement Over Youth Development in Host Community

    Fraud Fight Now More Urgent, Expert Insists

    Between Power Bikes And Smartphones

    GMW: Access Bank Empowers Teens with Financial Literacy Skills

    Between High Inflation and Your Savings

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    FCMB Group’s annual profit drops 21% despite higher revenue

    P-CNGi, LNG Arete Ltd. sign $27.3 million agreement to boost CNG infrastructure in Northern Nigeria 

    All-Share holds steady above N66 trillion, slips by 0.01%; UBA and UCAP lead trading volume 

    FCT minister inaugurates solar-powered farmers’ Market in Utako 

    US tariffs may shrink Global Trade by 1% – WTO DG

    Trump extends TikTok deadline by 75 days, citing need for further approvals

    EcoBank asks Court to restrain Otudeko’s Son and others from selling 6.3 billion shares 

    WTO warns of 1% global trade contraction amid US tariff measures

    WTO warns of 1% global trade contraction amid US tariff measures

    Trump’s new 14% tariff could hit Nigeria hard — here’s how

    President Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as new Managing Director of Bank of Agriculture 

    TECO Group Calls for More Innovators to Tackle Agrifood Industry Challenges 

    Denmark business school opens 2025 applications for fully funded PhD scholarships in AI and Statistics 

    SITA Redefines Airport Operations, Acquires CCM

    Official Statement from inDrive on Recent Ride-Hailing Industry Developments 

    Billionaire Zuckerberg’s net worth drops $17.9 billion as Meta stocks dip  

    Forex losses push International Breweries to N111.8 billion loss in 2024 

    FCMB Group reports pre-tax profit of N111.8 billion as interest and operating income surge 

    CBN links foreign debt service to $2.57 billion drop in FX reserves in Q1 2025