Nigerian workers decide on potential strike as minimum wage report awaits presidential action

Organised labour has revealed plans to hold an emergency meeting over the next line of action as the national minimum wage tripartite committee submits a report to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

Spokesperson of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Benson Upah, disclosed this to DAILY POST in an exclusive telephone interview on Monday.

According to him, the outcome of the meeting will determine whether organized labour will resume its strike action in the coming days.

“The appropriate organs of the two unions will meet, and once they do, whatever decision they make will be communicated to the public,” Upah said.

However, he did not disclose the specific date the meeting would be held.

Recall that after the minimum wage tripartite committee met on Monday, the federal government offered N62,000 as the minimum wage, while organized labour insisted on N250,000.

Part of the report includes N57,000 and N62,000 minimum wage proposals by state governors and the organized private sector, respectively.

The Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) confirmed receiving the tripartite committee report on Monday.

This development has turned attention to President Tinubu, who is expected to act on the report and pass an executive bill on the minimum wage to the National Assembly ahead of June 12, Nigeria’s Democracy Day celebrations.

Meanwhile, NLC President Joe Ajaero, speaking on Monday at the International Labour Conference in Geneva, Switzerland, ruled out the resumption of the strike on Tuesday. He noted that organized labour is waiting for President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s decision on the report submitted by the tripartite committee.

“We are waiting for the decision of the President. Our National Executive Council (NEC) will deliberate on the new figure when it is out,” he said.

Recall that organized labour suspended last Monday’s indefinite strike, which shut down the country’s economy for a week.

The federal government had previously offered N60,000 as the minimum wage, which organized labour rejected. The new minimum offer of N62,000 is only N2,000 more than the old offer. Ajaero noted that the difference between N62,000 and N250,000 (Labour’s proposed minimum wage) is a wide gulf.

Nigerian workers decide on potential strike as minimum wage report awaits presidential action

  • Related Posts

    PHOTO STORY: Faces Of 12 Of The 15 Domestic Workers Held In Prison Since 2019 By Patience Jonathan Over Missing Jewellery

    SaharaReporters exclusively obtained photos of 12 of the domestic workers who have been imprisoned for nearly six years.   ArticlesRead More 

    EXCLUSIVE: Victim Alleges Patience Jonathan Supervised, Participated In Torture Of 15 Domestic Workers Held In Prison Since 2019 Over Missing Jewellery

    The note details brutal acts of violence allegedly orchestrated by the former First Lady herself.   ArticlesRead More 

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Trump Tariffs: Why US matters less to Nigeria’s trade story – New report

    EFCC boss vows to tackle non-performing loans  associated with fraud across Nigeria  

    ISA 2025: Nigeria formally recognizes cryptocurrency as securities in new SEC Act 2025 

    Mining Marshals shut down illegal site in Nasarawa, arrest three foreigners 

    SON issues 107 product certifications to 44 companies in Anambra 

    Kwara Government partners IsDB to invest $57.2 million in livestock and rural development 

    Robust frameworks needed for transparent local government fund management in Nigeria – ICPC 

    ICPC re-arraigns Professor Igbinoba over alleged degree peddling and forgery in Benin 

    MTN Group CEO Ralph Mupita appointed as new GSMA Deputy Chair

    9PSB Records 50% Transaction Growth with Qore’s BankOne 

    Essaadi: Foreign Exchange Volatility to Persist in 2025

    Interswitch Donates to Tertiary Institutions to Boost STEM Education

    Hungarian Govt to Bolster Socio-economic Development in Sokoto

    Julius Berger rejigging infrastructural development in Rivers

    eTranzact International Posts N5bn Pre-tax Profit in 2024

    Kitchen App, Kike AI Targets 1m Jobs in Gas, Food Industry

    Minister of State for Works Explores Innovation at World of Asphalt

    After Years of Leasing, Green Africa Acquires Own Aircraft

    Rising Demand, Challenges of Training Pilots

    Minister Umahi faults Lagos Works Controller over Independence Bridge closure 

    Kwara Govt signs agreement to upgrade Omu-Aran general hospital to teaching hospital  

    Ex-Minister to reward Sterling bank for halting transfer charges

    Ex-Minister to reward Sterling bank for halting transfer charges

    VFD Group reports N11.2 billion profit as investment income soars 

    Okomu Oil declares Final Dividend of N26 for registered members 

    DBNC 2025: Navigating challenges, seizing opportunities in a transforming Nigeria 

    PAC Capital Limited Named Best Transaction Advisory Firm in Nigeria at the Grand Annual Awards Ceremony 2025 

    Footwear brand, Nike loses $10 billion in valuation over Trump tariffs 

    Antimicrobial resistance puts financial strain on Nigeria’s healthcare system – Experts warn 

    INEC blocks ‘further action’ on Natasha Akpoti’s withdrawal from NASS amid feud with Akpabio 

    Truecaller surpasses 450 million users as growth accelerates in Nigeria, other markets 

    UNICEF donates over 2.5 million doses of oral polio vaccines to Bauchi state 

    Tinubu approves N20 billion for space agency to regulate Nigeria’s space sector 

    China threatens countermeasures as Trump’s tariffs escalate trade tensions 

    JAMB releases 2025 UTME-Mock notification slip for printing 

    JP Morgan seeks merchant banking licence from CBN to bolster African presence 

    EU prepares retaliatory tariffs as Trump’s trade policies spark global economic concerns