My Relationship With Wike Cause of Gang-up against Me, Says Anyanwu

Chuks Okocha in Abuja

The embattled National Secretary of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Senator Samuel Anyanwu, who is claiming victory in last Friday’s judgment of the Supreme Court, has disclosed that the war waged against him by some leaders of the party was due to his closeness to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Mr. Nyesom Wike.
Anyanwu, who described his challenges as “mere proxy wars” insisted that he would not abandon his friends because of politics.

While ruling out the merger of the PDP with other political parties, Anyanwu argued that the party is too big to be part of any coalition.
Meanwhile, the camps of the Acting National Chairman of the PDP, Ambassador Umar Damagum, and the National Publicity Secretary, Debo Ologunagba, in the party’s National Working Committee (NWC) have disagreed over the Supreme Court judgment.

Addressing journalists yesterday in Abuja, Anyanwu said: “Those who appear to be against me are only fighting a proxy war because of my relationship with the FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike who is my bosom friend and remains my friend. I cannot jettison my friends because of politics.

”Where we are coming from is long before politics. Before politics, we were friends; I never knew that I was going to become a National Secretary of PDP. And when he (Wike) needed me the most to support him while he was running as a presidential aspirant in PDP, I was not there for him. So now, what have I done to injure the party or anyone in it? It’s just mere speculation,” Anyanwu stated.

Anyanwu said his victory at the Supreme Court was a victory for the people and the party, pointing out that he was elected as National Secretary of this party in October 2021, while his tenure will end in December 2025.
On how he felt after the Supreme Court judgment, he said, ”As for me today, I am not celebrating but I am happy that God has vindicated me such that even tomorrow if I decide to resign or leave, I will always feel justified that I have fought for a good cause. I fought a battle for the truth, and that’s just the truth. As for those who assume or believe that I’m their enemy, I’m not anyone’s enemy.

”I know that many of my friends who appear to be fighting me have only been fighting a proxy war. But let me emphasise this: what is most important is the party,” Anyanwu explained.
  On the way forward, he said, ”The way forward is for us all to come back together. I work for the party. As I said to my friends in the PDP NWC, we were all elected to serve the party; we may have our differences, but it’s understandable.
“I still believe that we are family, and we came here together, and we shall continue to co-exist together. Our tenure ends on December 9, 2025; so, in the little time ahead of us, we should all work together, stay together, and put the party together.”

On the revocation of the PDP’s new national secretariat by the Federal Capital Development Authority (FCDA), he said, ”I’m the National Secretary and I’m just the chief administrator. The fact is that it is not just the PDP that is affected; similar problems affect even INEC, CBN, and NNPC’s buildings and so many others. Let us not make a big issue out of it as if it is all about PDP.

According to Anyanwu, ”Before now, even before we came in as members of PDP NWC, we had been having issues over our new national secretariat with someone who claimed that the land is his own. I know that the lawyers of the FCT stood by us. Before the current issues began, our National Legal Adviser wrote a letter to the FCT minister, which the National Chairman and I delivered by hand to the FCT minister and he assured us that nobody will claim what belongs to PDP.
”But you cannot be a tenant, with my rent expiring and when you can’t renew it, you then start fighting your landlord. It’s either one pleads and looks for a way to pay to remain a tenant or expects that something else would happen. That is what is going on.”

On what becomes of the PDP in the future, Anyanwu said: “As far as I’m concerned, PDP will become stronger and on the issue of a coalition, I have not been informed. I am yet to be informed as the National Secretary and I’d like to know of the genesis of such ideas about forming a coalition with other political parties. PDP is too strong and too big to be drawn into being a mere part of any coalition; rather, people should empty their platforms and come into PDP.”

Damagum, Ologunagba’s Camps Disagree on Supreme Court’s Judgment

Meanwhile, the disagreement between the camps of the Acting National Chairman of the PDP, Damagum, and the National Publicity Secretary, Ologunagba, over the Supreme Court judgment deepened yesterday.
 The Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the PDP, Ibrahim Abdullahi has debunked a statement attributed to him, calling on Nigerians and PDP members to discountenance the statement by the National Publicity Secretary, Ologunagba that the Supreme Court judgment had confirmed Sunday Ude-Okoye as the National Secretary of the party.
The statement that was purportedly issued by Abdullahi, reads: “I am directed by the Acting National Chairman of the PDP,  Ambassador Umar Iliya Damagun, to refute a misleading statement issued by the National Publicity Secretary, Hon. Debo Ologunagba shortly after the Supreme Court delivered judgment in the case of Samuel Anyanwu Vs. Emmanuel Aniagu on Friday, March 21, 2025.

”For the avoidance of doubt, the statement of Debo Olagunagba does not reflect the position of the PDP and the NWC respectively. The public should please disregard the falsehood. It is pertinent to inform the public that at no time did the Supreme Court recognise Hon Udeh Okoye as National Secretary, but only described him as an “impostor” while the appellant, Emmanuel Aniagu as a “meddlesome Interloper” respectively.”

But in a statement issued yesterday, Abdullahi described the press release attributed to him as fraudulent.
“Of late, I have maintained a studied silence in the face of this legal imbroglio leading to the Supreme Court judgment of yesterday, Friday, March 21, 2025. This is in deference to the court, as the matter was then sub-judiced. I had figured out the need to maintain a political ambience devoid of contradictions, rancour, violence, and outrage.
“For the avoidance of doubt, I neither received nor was I directed by the Ag National Chairman to issue such a disclaimer.
“I hereby outrightly dissociate myself and the office of the DNPS from the release already making the rounds. It did not originate from me, and I did not sanction it,” Abdullahi explained.

  • Related Posts

    Navy seizes 400,000 litres of stolen crude in Delta operation

    Over 400,000 litres of stolen crude oil were recovered by the Nigerian Navy’s Operation Delta Sanity II across the Niger Delta in March 2025. Also, more than 30 illegal refinery sites were dismantled and several suspects linked to arms smuggling and oil bunkering were equally arrested by the operatives. According to a statement on Friday
    Read More

    Over 400,000 litres of stolen crude oil were recovered by the Nigerian Navy’s Operation Delta Sanity II across the Niger Delta in March 2025. Also, more than 30 illegal refinery sites were dismantled and several suspects linked to arms smuggling and oil bunkering were equally arrested by the operatives. According to a statement on Friday

    Read More

    Bayelsa condemns damage of gas pipeline, vows action

    The Bayelsa State Government has condemned what it described as “criminal damage” of the Ogboinbiri/Obiobi 24-inch Gas Pipeline between Angiama and Angiamagbene in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area. A statement on Friday by the state Commissioner for Information, Orientation and Strategy, Mrs Ebiuwou Koku-Obiyai, said, “This act of economic sabotage will not be tolerated.” The
    Read More

    The Bayelsa State Government has condemned what it described as “criminal damage” of the Ogboinbiri/Obiobi 24-inch Gas Pipeline between Angiama and Angiamagbene in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area. A statement on Friday by the state Commissioner for Information, Orientation and Strategy, Mrs Ebiuwou Koku-Obiyai, said, “This act of economic sabotage will not be tolerated.” The

    Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Trump’s new 14% tariff could hit Nigeria hard — here’s how

    President Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as new Managing Director of Bank of Agriculture 

    TECO Group Calls for More Innovators to Tackle Agrifood Industry Challenges 

    Denmark business school opens 2025 applications for fully funded PhD scholarships in AI and Statistics 

    SITA Redefines Airport Operations, Acquires CCM

    Official Statement from inDrive on Recent Ride-Hailing Industry Developments 

    Billionaire Zuckerberg’s net worth drops $17.9 billion as Meta stocks dip  

    Forex losses push International Breweries to N111.8 billion loss in 2024 

    FCMB Group reports pre-tax profit of N111.8 billion as interest and operating income surge 

    CBN links foreign debt service to $2.57 billion drop in FX reserves in Q1 2025 

    Dangote among global billionaires who lost combined $208 billion in one day from Trump tariffs 

    Nairametrics set to host first-ever Capital Market Choice Awards (NCMA) 

    eDryv: A Game-Changer in Urban Mobility 

    BREAKING: Court bars Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, and Senate from granting interviews over alleged misconduct case 

    Unfair credit ratings pushing up costs of borrowing for African countries – ECA 

    China retaliates with 34% tariffs on US imports, escalating trade war 

    Nigeria seeks fresh $10.50 million World Bank loan to boost CBN’s technical capacity 

    Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags    

    realme C75: Unbreakable Champion Beyond Quality—Redefining Smartphone Durability in Nigeria 

    House of Tara enters a new era: Meet the new Managing Director

    Lagos Independence Bridge to reopen on Sunday, traffic to be restricted to half carriageway – Umahi 

    World’s 2nd richest, Bezos loses $16 billion in 24 hours as Amazon shares fall 

    Brent Crude down by $10 a Barrel, Worst day since 2022

    Why Trump’s reciprocal tariffs may have less direct impact on Africa—Afreximbank Research 

    European organization offers job opportunities with work visa sponsorships for international applicants 

    Top 10 Nigerian stockbrokers by transaction value in Q1 2025 

    Nigerian Senate to address critical Tax Reform Bills after Easter holidays 

    Court orders final forfeiture of FIRS staff’s Abuja, Kano properties over alleged money laundering  

    Trump Tariffs: Why US matters less to Nigeria’s trade story – New report

    EFCC boss vows to tackle non-performing loans  associated with fraud across Nigeria  

    ISA 2025: Nigeria formally recognizes cryptocurrency as securities in new SEC Act 2025 

    Mining Marshals shut down illegal site in Nasarawa, arrest three foreigners 

    SON issues 107 product certifications to 44 companies in Anambra 

    Kwara Government partners IsDB to invest $57.2 million in livestock and rural development 

    Robust frameworks needed for transparent local government fund management in Nigeria – ICPC 

    ICPC re-arraigns Professor Igbinoba over alleged degree peddling and forgery in Benin