Gov Okpebholo in Kano, Promises Compensation for Uromi Victims’ Families

Ahmad Sorondinki in Kano.

The Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, has promised to pay compensation to the families of 16 travelers massacred in Uromi, and vowed to bring the perpetrators to justice.

Governor Okpebholo was in Kano to condole with the family members and the people of the state over the unfortunate incident.

Speaking during a courtesy call to Governor Yusuf, the Edo State Governor described Kano as his second home, condemned the Uromi killings and insisted that justice must be done.

He briefed Governor Yusuf on the efforts by his government and security agencies to ensure that the perpetrators of the crime are brought to book.

According to him, 14 people had already been arrested and efforts were on top gear to ensure they were paraded and prosecuted..

He also hinted that President Tinubu had been concerned over the incident as he had directed the Inspector-General of Police to ensure that the case be transferred to Abuja for discreet investigation.

After the meeting at Government House which was attended by ethnic traditional rulers resident in Kano, the two governors visited the Torankawa village, Bunkure local government, where the victims hailed from which is about 100 kilometers away from the city.

In his response, the Kano Governor who commended Governor Okpebholo and President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for taking drastic steps to ensure the arrest of the perpetrators of the killings, ruled out possibility of reprisal attacks in Kano, hinting that already the state government in collaboration with security agencies had done enough homework to avert it.

“We want to see the perpetrators physically paraded so that Nigerians will see and believe that they have been apprehended; so that the families of the bereaved and the world will see the people that committed that heinous crime.

“I know you (Governor Okpebholo) to be a man of your word and a man of integrity. We believe in your promise to ensure that justice is done. I have every believe that you will ensure that the families of the bereaved will be compensated,” Governor Yusuf stated.

He further recalled that, “it is a known fact that our people were travelling from Port Harcourt en route Edo state. They were maimed, some of them burnt to ashes. Many of them are from Kano. Many of them are from two Local Governments within Kano metropolis.

“I commend His Excellency (Governor Okpebholo) for taking a prompt action when the incident happened. His Excellency visited the Hausa community in Edo state, made so many promises. As I speak to you His Excellency has fulfilled those promises. Many of them have been apprehended and taken to Abuja.

“He assured us that the families of the bereaved will be compensated. Kano people are peaceful. We are known to be the most hospitable people in Nigeria. We accommodate people from other ethnic nationalities”.

​  

  • Related Posts

    FG Orders Immediate Reopening of Independence Bridge in Lagos

    FG Orders Immediate Reopening of Independence Bridge in Lagos

    Bennett Oghifo

    Minister of Works, Senator Dave Umahi, has ordered the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way-Marina Bound) in Lagos to vehicular traffic.
    A statement by the Federal Controller of Works, Lagos, Engr. (Mrs.) O. I. Kesha, said, “This directive follows the earlier closure of the bridge for planned maintenance and rehabilitation works.
    “Efforts are currently ongoing to ensure palliative works are carried out on the already opened bridge to make it motorable.
    “The Ministry hereby express regret for the inconvenience caused to the motoring public by the closure and appealed for their understanding and cooperation.”
    The Federal Ministry of Works said the necessary repair works on the bridge would be carried out at a later time.

    ​  

    Bennett Oghifo Minister of Works, Senator Dave Umahi, has ordered the immediate reopening of the Independence Bridge (Ahmadu Bello Way-Marina Bound) in Lagos to vehicular traffic.A statement by the Federal

    Niger Delta Group Hails Tinubu’s Appointment of Avuru as NNPCL Board Member, Declares Support for Ojulari

    Niger Delta Group Hails Tinubu’s Appointment of Avuru as NNPCL Board Member, Declares Support for Ojulari

    In what it described as a pivotal moment for the Nigerian oil industry, the Niger Delta Development Agenda (NDDA) has commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for appointing industry veteran and highly respected figure in the oil and gas sector, Austin Avuru as non-executive director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Company Limited (NNPCL) representing South-South.
    In a statement signed by its convener, Iteveh Nurudeen Ekpokpobe, he expressed his gratitude to President Tinubu for the appointment of the Isoko-born Avuru as a board member of NNPCL.
    “As an Isoko man, I commend the president for giving this consideration to the Isoko nation.
    “This new management we hope will help to even the marginalisation scale against the Isoko people and the Niger Delta region by extension,” the group said.
    Iteveh said “the appointment of Austin Avuru, a highly respected figure in the oil and gas sector who brings his extensive experience to the industry underscores President Tinubu’s commitment to assembling a team of seasoned professionals.
    “As a Pan-Niger Delta development pressure group, the Niger Delta Development Agenda also declares support for Bashir Ojulari, the new NNPCL GCEO”.
    The group stated that “with Ojulari’s appointment as the new GCEO, he is expected to use his extensive knowledge to direct and pilot NNPC by taking it to greater heights where it is expected to compete favorably well within the oil and gas sector across the world.
    “We believe that these changes are anticipated to provide NNPC with a fresh perspective and assist in advancing the nation’s energy goals”.

    ​  

    In what it described as a pivotal moment for the Nigerian oil industry, the Niger Delta Development Agenda (NDDA) has commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for appointing industry veteran and

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    VFD Group reports N11.2 billion profit as investment income soars 

    Okomu Oil declares Final Dividend of N26 for registered members 

    DBNC 2025: Navigating challenges, seizing opportunities in a transforming Nigeria 

    PAC Capital Limited Named Best Transaction Advisory Firm in Nigeria at the Grand Annual Awards Ceremony 2025 

    Footwear brand, Nike loses $10 billion in valuation over Trump tariffs 

    Antimicrobial resistance puts financial strain on Nigeria’s healthcare system – Experts warn 

    INEC blocks ‘further action’ on Natasha Akpoti’s withdrawal from NASS amid feud with Akpabio 

    Truecaller surpasses 450 million users as growth accelerates in Nigeria, other markets 

    UNICEF donates over 2.5 million doses of oral polio vaccines to Bauchi state 

    Tinubu approves N20 billion for space agency to regulate Nigeria’s space sector 

    China threatens countermeasures as Trump’s tariffs escalate trade tensions 

    JAMB releases 2025 UTME-Mock notification slip for printing 

    JP Morgan seeks merchant banking licence from CBN to bolster African presence 

    EU prepares retaliatory tariffs as Trump’s trade policies spark global economic concerns 

    Lagosians suffer “worst traffic gridlock ever” as Independence Bridge repairs cause widespread chaos 

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Investors lose N91bn as Nigerian Exchange opens bearish

    Bitcoin dips to $82,000 amid global trade tensions triggered by Trump tariffs 

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Equinix strengthens commitment to Nigeria’s digital economy with New Data Centre Expansion

    Elon Musk’s Neuralink begins global recruitment for research on brain implants 

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Custodian Investment proposes N6.5 billion final dividend as annual profit surges 172%

    Nigeria, Japan partner on Naira-denominated venture capital fund to boost startups 

    South Africa’s PIC invests $40 million in Africa50 for infrastructure development 

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    GTCO, Access Holdings, Custodian Investment top stock pick this week

    Netflix enhances language options on TV to attract global viewers 

    Court jails another convicted airline passenger for 3 months over non-declaration of $30,000 in Lagos 

    CBN denies fake circular introducing N5,000 and N10,000 notes 

    Nigerian Military, Briech UAS unveil Africa’s first indigenous attack drones and bombs 

    Billionaire Bezos’ Amazon makes eleventh-hour bid for TikTok 

    Market Wrap: All-Share ends in the red, slips by 0.12% as UPDCREIT and AFRIPRUD shine 

    Lagos eyes N5 billion in sales at 2025 tourism fair 

    Amazon, OnlyFans founder join race to acquire TikTok as April 5 deadline nears 

    FG reopens Lagos Independence Bridge ahead of schedule, opts for palliative fixes 

    E-FRAUD AND DIGITAL BANKING SECURITY

    Petroleum Minister, Lokpobiri Lauds Caverton as a Leader in Aviation Industry 

    Sterling Bank Leads Protest for Removal of Bank Transfer Charges

    SMEs Tasked with Creativity  to Compete  with Industry Giants