Customs rakes in N115bn from Lagos Free Trade Zone

The Lagos Free Trade Zone of the Nigeria Customs Service says it generated N115 billion in revenue over the past six months.

Its Customs Area Controller, Comptroller Olanrewaju Olumoh, disclosed this at a stakeholder engagement in the Free Trade Zone in Lagos on Thursday.

Olumoh expressed optimism that the command would meet and surpass its annual target by the end of the year.

He said, “The fallout from these visits necessitated the meeting today where we shall reveal our achievements so far and discuss matters that will improve operations in the Free Trade Zones under the Command.

“The initial revenue target given to the Free Trade Zone was N108.84 billion before it was reviewed to N136.05 billion for 2024.

READ MORE: Customs mourns death of senior officer at National Assembly session

“From January 2024 till date, the command has generated N41.3 billion from the Free Trade Zone, compared to N24.7 billion collected during the same period in 2023.

This shows an increase of N16.6 billion, representing a 67per centt rise over 2023.”

For Lekki Port, an initial revenue target of N6.61 billion was reviewed to N8.26 billion. From January to date, N74.67 billion was generated as revenue from the port.

Olumoh explained the fundamental benefits of establishing Free Trade Zones to include attracting foreign investments, promoting technology transfer, and creating job opportunities.

He stressed the importance of stakeholder collaboration in achieving these goals.

“It is important to keep sensitising agents and zone operators on the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) for Free Zones to enhance their compliance level and improve their capacity towards better service delivery,” Olumoh noted.

He emphasised that stakeholder engagement is about building relationships based on trust, transparency, and mutual understanding.

“We want to operate an open-door policy where we can entertain meaningful contributions to move the Command forward,” he said.

Olumoh commended the Zone management and other agencies, including the Nigeria Export Processing Zones Authority (NEPZA), Immigration and the Nigeria Police Force, for their continuous support in achieving these results.

He also recognised the critical role of the media in public sensitisation and enlightenment about Free Zones.

READ MORE: Customs, NEPZA harp on importance of special economic zone for economic growth

Mrs Oladunni Kareem, General Manager of Operations at Lekki Free Trade Zone, commended the NCS for the interactive session.

She emphasised the need for operators to be aware of customs procedures to reduce the time of doing business.

“We want trade facilitation and the Nigeria Customs Service is doing all it can towards that. Revenue collection for the government cannot be overemphasised; we have to operate side by side,” Kareem said.

She assured of continued collaboration with NCS to improve Nigeria’s trade environment.

Kareem noted that trade facilitation would encourage investors and help introduce the free trade zone to other investors, thereby creating more jobs for the youth.

The post Customs rakes in N115bn from Lagos Free Trade Zone appeared first on Guardian Nigeria News.

  • Related Posts

    Release detained members, or face legal action, Shi’ites tell FG

    The Islamic Movement in Nigeria popularly called Shi’ites group, has called on the Federal Government and the Nigerian Army to release their detained members, including no fewer than 60 minors allegedly arrested and detained, or face legal action. The demand was made on Friday at a press briefing by the Shi’ites’ legal team led by
    Read More

    The Islamic Movement in Nigeria popularly called Shi’ites group, has called on the Federal Government and the Nigerian Army to release their detained members, including no fewer than 60 minors allegedly arrested and detained, or face legal action. The demand was made on Friday at a press briefing by the Shi’ites’ legal team led by

    Read More

    Otti laments fire service failure in Aba blaze, orders probe

    Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, Friday expressed his rage at the men of Abia Fire Service, Aba who switched off their phones as a two-storey building was burnt down in Aba Tuesday night, destroying cash and property worth millions of naira. Nothing was salvaged as the two flats on the 2nd floor of the building
    Read More

    Abia State Governor, Alex Otti, Friday expressed his rage at the men of Abia Fire Service, Aba who switched off their phones as a two-storey building was burnt down in Aba Tuesday night, destroying cash and property worth millions of naira. Nothing was salvaged as the two flats on the 2nd floor of the building

    Read More

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    US tariffs may shrink Global Trade by 1% – WTO DG

    Trump extends TikTok deadline by 75 days, citing need for further approvals

    EcoBank asks Court to restrain Otudeko’s Son and others from selling 6.3 billion shares 

    WTO warns of 1% global trade contraction amid US tariff measures

    WTO warns of 1% global trade contraction amid US tariff measures

    Trump’s new 14% tariff could hit Nigeria hard — here’s how

    President Tinubu appoints Ayo Sotinrin as new Managing Director of Bank of Agriculture 

    TECO Group Calls for More Innovators to Tackle Agrifood Industry Challenges 

    Denmark business school opens 2025 applications for fully funded PhD scholarships in AI and Statistics 

    SITA Redefines Airport Operations, Acquires CCM

    Official Statement from inDrive on Recent Ride-Hailing Industry Developments 

    Billionaire Zuckerberg’s net worth drops $17.9 billion as Meta stocks dip  

    Forex losses push International Breweries to N111.8 billion loss in 2024 

    FCMB Group reports pre-tax profit of N111.8 billion as interest and operating income surge 

    CBN links foreign debt service to $2.57 billion drop in FX reserves in Q1 2025 

    Dangote among global billionaires who lost combined $208 billion in one day from Trump tariffs 

    Nairametrics set to host first-ever Capital Market Choice Awards (NCMA) 

    eDryv: A Game-Changer in Urban Mobility 

    BREAKING: Court bars Akpabio, Natasha Akpoti, and Senate from granting interviews over alleged misconduct case 

    Unfair credit ratings pushing up costs of borrowing for African countries – ECA 

    China retaliates with 34% tariffs on US imports, escalating trade war 

    Nigeria seeks fresh $10.50 million World Bank loan to boost CBN’s technical capacity 

    Decisive factors: Octa carried out a global survey about brokers’ red flags    

    realme C75: Unbreakable Champion Beyond Quality—Redefining Smartphone Durability in Nigeria 

    House of Tara enters a new era: Meet the new Managing Director

    Lagos Independence Bridge to reopen on Sunday, traffic to be restricted to half carriageway – Umahi 

    World’s 2nd richest, Bezos loses $16 billion in 24 hours as Amazon shares fall 

    Brent Crude down by $10 a Barrel, Worst day since 2022

    Why Trump’s reciprocal tariffs may have less direct impact on Africa—Afreximbank Research 

    European organization offers job opportunities with work visa sponsorships for international applicants 

    Top 10 Nigerian stockbrokers by transaction value in Q1 2025 

    Nigerian Senate to address critical Tax Reform Bills after Easter holidays 

    Court orders final forfeiture of FIRS staff’s Abuja, Kano properties over alleged money laundering  

    Trump Tariffs: Why US matters less to Nigeria’s trade story – New report

    EFCC boss vows to tackle non-performing loans  associated with fraud across Nigeria  

    ISA 2025: Nigeria formally recognizes cryptocurrency as securities in new SEC Act 2025 

    Mining Marshals shut down illegal site in Nasarawa, arrest three foreigners