Budget Defence: NELFUND Has Disbursed N116.184bn Student Loans So Far, Says MD

•Gets N58.4bn budget envelope for 2025 

•Senate rejects 2025 budget proposal of investment and security tribunal

Sunday Aborisade in Abuja

The Nigerian Education Loan Fund (NELFUND), disclosed yesterday in Abuja that it had disbursed N116. 184billion for upkeep of students across 176, 252 beneficiary institutions in the country, as of January, 2025.

The Education Loan Fund was however given a paltry N58.4billion budget envelope for 2025 fiscal year.

The Managing Director of NELFUND, Akintunde Sawyer, stated these in his presentation before the National Assembly joint Committee on Tertiary Institutions and TETFUND during budget defence session.

He, however clarified that out of the N116.184billion, N37.7billion was expended on institutions loan.

He said a total number of 352, 796 students applied for the loan, while 108,484, were given.

On the 2025 budgetary proposal, the NELFUND boss informed the Senator Muntari Dandutse and Hon. Gboyega Isiaka-led joint committee that a sum of N58.4billion budget envelope was given the agency.

“Out of the N58.4billon budgetary proposal for 2025, N12.2billion is earmarked for personnel cost, N24.7billion for overhead cost and N21.4billion for capital expenditure, ” he explained.

After consideration of budgetary proposals of the agency the joint committee accordingly approved it through voice vote put to members.

Earlier before approval of the agency’s 2025 budgetary proposals, the Chairman of the joint Committee, Senator Dandutse Muntari harped on transparency on spending of appropriations made for the agency in 2025.

“We will examine NELFUND’s financial plan for the upcoming fiscal year to evaluate its alignment with national educational goals and its capacity to meet the growing demands for student loans.

“This is because the agency plays an indispensable role in bridging financial gaps for students across our tertiary institutions,” he added

Meanwhile, the Senate Committee on Capital Market, yesterday rejected the 2025 budget proposal of the Investments and Securities Tribunal due to errors in the figures and items presented.

Chairman of the Committee, Senator Osita Izunaso, took the decision after a motion moved by Senator Seriake Dickson (PDP-Bayelsa) and seconded by Senatoe Aliyu Wadada (SDP-Nasarawa), during the agency’s budget defence by the Chairman, Amos Azi.

Izunaso directed the chairman to return on Friday by 12 noon to re-present the budget.

Moving the motion, Dickson said: “Mr. Chairman, if you permit, that with the grilling that they have seen, he has also publicly, on behalf of his team, owned up to the shortcomings and errors.

“Therefore, Mr. Chairman, at any point that pleases you, I think they can return back to correct whatever has to be corrected and meet with the leadership of this committee.”

The chairman of Investments and Securities Tribunal, Mr. Amos Azi after the grilling by the lawmakers apologized for the discrepancies observed in the budget document.

Earlier, Izunaso said the Investment and Securities Tribunal played a critical role in resolving disputes arising from transactions in the capital market.

He said: “With a mandate to exclusively resolve these disputes, the tribunal has provided comfort and confidence to investors, thereby promoting the growth and development of our capital market.

“In recent years, the tribunal has made significant strides in resolving disputes. Notably, it has resolved disputes worth over N1 trillion since its inception in 2003.

“This is a testament to the tribunal’s commitment to ensuring that our capital market operates with integrity and transparency.

“As we review the 2025 budget proposal, we will be paying close attention to the tribunal’s plans for enhancing its operations, expanding its reach, and addressing emerging challenges in the capital market.”

​ 

  • Related Posts

    Scandal Rocks Nigeria Police Force: Allegations of Favouritism and Power Struggles

    Inspector-General of Police Kayode Egbetokun’s office has been embroiled in controversy, with allegations of favoritism and internal power struggles

    APC: Presidential Ticket Open to All Members Despite Tinubu Endorsement

    APC: Presidential Ticket Open to All Members Despite Tinubu Endorsement

    *Says party won’t print single presidential nomination form for Tinubu

    •To hold interactive session with national, state Assembly members

    Adedayo Akinwale in Abuja

    Despite its endorsement of President Bola Tinubu ahead of the 2027 presidential election, the All Progressives Congress (APC) has said the party will give opportunity for anyone who wishes to contest in the presidential primary.

    The National Organising Secretary of the party, Sulaiman Argungu, disclosed this on Wednesday in Abuja while briefing journalists on the success the party recorded at the just-concluded August 16, 2025 legislative by-elections.

    He stressed that the APC as a democratic party would give other members the opportunity to express themselves.

    Argungu states: “The aspiration of the people would be the wish of the party. As leaders of the party today, the NWC have endorsed President Bola Ahmed Tinubu as the next presidential candidate of the party. By extension, other organs have done similar things. Governments in most of the states, zones in most of the six political zones, have also adopted the same.

    “But that does not mean that the door is closed. That does not mean that when time comes, like we did always, we will make our timetable known so that for anybody who wants to aspire to be the next President of this country, under the platform of All Progressives Congress, we will not deny him that opportunity to come and purchase form. We will allow him to come and pay. So that he can exercise his franchise as a member of the APC.

    “We have never said it for any time, for any day that we have closed the door. But we are only telling people that we appreciate what Mr. President is doing to the good people of this country.”

    Argungu also revealed that the party would schedule an interactive session with all elected Senators, members of the House of Representatives, and State House of Assembly members in Abuja.

    He added that the session would serve as a platform to share ideas, build trust and also help chart a common course for engagements at both national and state levels.

    According to him, This is a remarkable achievement and a reaffirmation of the confidence Nigerians continue to repose in the APC.

    Argungu noted: “These victories are not just statistics; they are a reaffirmation of the trust Nigerians continue to place in the APC.

    “They demonstrate the strength, resilience, and growing acceptance of our party nationwide. They reflect the belief of the Nigerian people in our capacity to deliver purposeful leadership and good governance.

    “The APC will schedule an Interactive Session with all elected Senators, Members of the House of Representatives, and State House of Assembly Members soonest, in Abuja.

    “This session will serve as a platform to share ideas and build trust. Help chart a common course for engagements at both national and state levels. Strengthen the alignment of our elected representatives with the vision of the APC and the expectations of Nigerians.”

    Argungu reaffirmed the party’s commitment to President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.

    The party also assured Nigerians that both the President and the APC remain dedicated to their welfare, security, and prosperity.

    He said the ruling party-led federal government would continue to deliver dividends of democracy and uphold the trust placed in us by the people.

    The post APC: Presidential Ticket Open to All Members Despite Tinubu Endorsement appeared first on THISDAYLIVE.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    GTCO increases GTBank’s paid-up capital to N504 Billion 

    Cornerstone Insurance announces appointment of Omonkhogbe as Emeka Ogbechie exit director role 

    GTCO Injects N365.85 billion into GTBank to meet CBN’s recapitalisation mandate 

    Top 10 states by FAAC net allocation in H1 2025; Delta, Rivers, Lagos top allocation chart 

    Spiro makes strategic push into Nigeria’s Electric Motorcycle Market

    All On Chairman urges bold investments to bridge energy gap in Nigeria 

    NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

    Champion Breweries will own 80% of Bullet – David Butler, CEO of enJOYcorp

    Unified Payments marks 28 years of excellence in financial innovation and economic empowerment 

    Tony Elumelu reveals 3 leadership lessons from becoming a bank manager at 27 

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    SCOA, RTBRISCOE lead gainers as All-Share Index slips 0.49% 

    The rise of Villager: How Uche Cole is building the Zara of Africa from the ground up

    Youth empowered podcast showcases bold startup journeys in Nigeria

    FG secures 200 hectares in Lekki Free Trade Zone for building materials hub 

    Marketing: An Art or a Science?

    Customs Agents Seek Waiver for Imported Goods Held Up at Ports Due to Glitches

    Redefining the Cocoa Trade and Nigerian Agriculture

    Domestic Air Travellers Lament over Prohibitive Cost of Flight Ticket

    FG, Brazil Deal Spur Air Peace S’American Flight

    NAMA Receives NCAA Certificate for ATC Simulator

    Obi Cubana Commends United Nigeria Airlines  

    Kwara to Begin Cargo Services at Tunde Idiagbon Airport 

    Shareholders Applaud NASD’s Return to Profitability,First Cash Dividend

    Nigerian Printers Urged to Embrace Cost Effective Technologies 

    Zabira Marks Sixth Anniversary, Rebrand as ‘The People’s Wallet’

    FG Drums Support for Industrialisation, Manufacturing Trade Summit 

    Bitget Debuts First-ever RWA Index Perpetuals 

    NNPC under attack but transformation will continue, says GCEO Ojulari 

    Nigeria’s Bosun Tijani joins Elon Musk, Sam Altman on TIME100 AI list

    Agusto & Co. projects 19% profit fall for Nigerian banks in 2025

    Agusto & Co. projects 19% profit fall for Nigerian banks in 2025

    Dangote, Ethiopia sign agreement to build $2.5 billion fertiliser plant

    Dangote, Ethiopia sign agreement to build $2.5 billion fertiliser plant

    FG to begin second round of integrated vaccination in 11 high-risk states, Sept 11–14

    FG approves lifetime salary benefits for retiring service chiefs – Interior Minister