Alleged Contempt: Obaseki’s Deputy Honours Court Summons

Mr Godwins Omobayo, deputy governor to the immediate-past governor of Edo, Godwin Obaseki, yesterday, appeared at a Federal High Court in Abuja to honour a court order.

Omobayo appeared in court alongside his counsel, Mr Ken Mozia, SAN, before Justice Omotosho.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Justice Omotosho had, on November 4, ordered Omobayo to appear in person before him on November 25 over his alleged disobedience to court judgment.

The judge, in a ruling, held that the order was to give Omobayo, the alleged contemnor, a fair hearing and the opportunity to defend himself in line with Section 36 of the 1999 Constitution (as amended).

NAN had earlier reported that the reinstated Deputy Governor to Obaseki, Philip Shaibu, had filed the contempt charge for Omobayo to be committed to prison over his alleged refusal to vacate the deputy governorship position after a valid court judgment.

Justice Omotosho had, on July 17, voided the impeachment of Shaibu as the deputy governor of Edo by the house of assembly.

The judge, in the judgment, ordered his reinstatement to office on the grounds that the Edo House of Assembly failed to comply with due process in the purported impeachment.

The judge also held that the allegation on which the assembly based the impeachment proceedings was untenable in law and did not constitute a gross misconduct.

The judgment was in the suit marked: FHC/ABJ/CS/478/2024 with Shaibu as the plaintiff.

The reinstated deputy governor had sued the Inspector-General (I-G) of Police, the Deputy Governor of Edo, the Attorney-General, Chief Judge of Edo, Speaker of Edo House of Assembly and the Edo State House of Assembly as 1st to 6th defendants respectively.

Omobayo was, on April 8, sworn in as the new deputy governor after Shaibu’s impeachment by the state’s house of assembly.

Justuce Omotosho had, on Oct. 24, granted Shaibu’s motion ex-parte seeking for an order for a substituted service of Form 49 on Omobayo and fixed Nov. 4 for hearing.

However, neither Omobayo nor his lawyer was represented in court.

Ayotunde Ogunleye, who appeared for Shaibu, therefore, prayed the court to make an order, directing Omobayo to appear in person as order of court cannot continue to be treated with disregard.

Upon resumed hearing on Monday, Omobayo, who was in court, was represented by Mozia.

Ogunleye then told the court that the affidavit of service of Form 48, Form 49, the motion and the hearing notice as ordered by the court on the defendants was dated Nov. 19.

The court registrar equally confirmed the affidavit of service of the documents on the defendants in the court record.

Ogunleye informed the court that the matter was adjourned till today for hearing of the contempt proceedings.

The lawyer, however, said counsel to the contemnor (Omobayo) served them with a motion on notice filed on Nov. 20 by which they sought to regularise their processes.

Responding, Mozia told the court that it was “Godwins Marvelous Omobayo that filed the motion and not a contemnor” as being referred by Ogunleye.

“He filed an application within which to extend time to file his process. It was filed on Nov. 20.

“I crave the indulgence of your lordship to take the application,” the senior lawyer said.

Ogunleye, who acknowledged being served, said he was not opposing.

But Justuce Omotosho said since the motion was filed on Nov. 20 and presumably served on 1st, 2nd and 5th defendants who were not represented in court, it would be necessary to give them opportunity to also respond in the interest of fair hearing.

The judge consequently adjourned the matter until Jan. 29, 2025 for hearing of the contempt charge.

He ordered that hearing notice be issued and served on 1st, 2nd and 5th defendants.

NAN reports that Obaseki-Shaibu’s tenure in Edo ended on Nov. 12 with the swearing in of the All Progressives Congress (APC)’s Governorship Candidate, Sen. Monday Okpebholo as new governor.(NAN)

 

  • Related Posts

    Taraba Councillors Set To Impeach LG Boss

    Taraba Councillors Set To Impeach LG Boss The legislative council of Takum local government area of Taraba state has set up a five member panel to investigate impeachment offences earlier labeled against the executive chairman of the council Hon. John Ali. The 5 member panel was constituted on Thursday after deliberations by the legislative council over the impeachment notice which was served

    Gov Buni’s Policies Eradicating Poverty In Yobe, APC Woman Leader Claims

    Gov Buni’s Policies Eradicating Poverty In Yobe, APC Woman Leader Claims Yobe South All Progressive Congress Zonal Women leader, Hajiya Fatima Umar Mairiga, has said the Yobe State Governor, Hon Mai Mala Buni, is eradicating poverty in the state through his economic policies. Fatima, disclosed this during an interview with LEADERSHIP in her residence in Damaturu, the Yobe state Capital, while commending the state governor for

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

    Business & Economy

    Cornerstone Insurance announces appointment of Omonkhogbe as Emeka Ogbechie exit director role 

    GTCO Injects N365.85 billion into GTBank to meet CBN’s recapitalisation mandate 

    Top 10 states by FAAC net allocation in H1 2025; Delta, Rivers, Lagos top allocation chart 

    Spiro makes strategic push into Nigeria’s Electric Motorcycle Market

    All On Chairman urges bold investments to bridge energy gap in Nigeria 

    NIPOST: Nigerians to pay $80 custom duty for shipments to US effective August 29 

    Champion Breweries will own 80% of Bullet – David Butler, CEO of enJOYcorp

    Unified Payments marks 28 years of excellence in financial innovation and economic empowerment 

    Tony Elumelu reveals 3 leadership lessons from becoming a bank manager at 27 

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    Nigerian Government introduces new medium-term strategy towards achieving $1 trillion economy

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    TCN speaks on explosion claim at Onitsha sub-region

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    NNPC requires $60 billion investment to boost oil, gas, refining capacity – Ojulari

    SCOA, RTBRISCOE lead gainers as All-Share Index slips 0.49% 

    The rise of Villager: How Uche Cole is building the Zara of Africa from the ground up

    Youth empowered podcast showcases bold startup journeys in Nigeria

    FG secures 200 hectares in Lekki Free Trade Zone for building materials hub 

    Marketing: An Art or a Science?

    Customs Agents Seek Waiver for Imported Goods Held Up at Ports Due to Glitches

    Redefining the Cocoa Trade and Nigerian Agriculture

    Domestic Air Travellers Lament over Prohibitive Cost of Flight Ticket

    FG, Brazil Deal Spur Air Peace S’American Flight

    NAMA Receives NCAA Certificate for ATC Simulator

    Obi Cubana Commends United Nigeria Airlines  

    Kwara to Begin Cargo Services at Tunde Idiagbon Airport 

    Shareholders Applaud NASD’s Return to Profitability,First Cash Dividend

    Nigerian Printers Urged to Embrace Cost Effective Technologies 

    Zabira Marks Sixth Anniversary, Rebrand as ‘The People’s Wallet’

    FG Drums Support for Industrialisation, Manufacturing Trade Summit 

    Bitget Debuts First-ever RWA Index Perpetuals 

    NNPC under attack but transformation will continue, says GCEO Ojulari 

    Nigeria’s Bosun Tijani joins Elon Musk, Sam Altman on TIME100 AI list

    Agusto & Co. projects 19% profit fall for Nigerian banks in 2025

    Agusto & Co. projects 19% profit fall for Nigerian banks in 2025

    Dangote, Ethiopia sign agreement to build $2.5 billion fertiliser plant

    Dangote, Ethiopia sign agreement to build $2.5 billion fertiliser plant

    FG to begin second round of integrated vaccination in 11 high-risk states, Sept 11–14

    FG approves lifetime salary benefits for retiring service chiefs – Interior Minister 

    Nigeria’s excess crude account now $535,823 – Wale Edun

    Nigeria’s excess crude account now $535,823 – Wale Edun