*Explains why he returned to Nigeria with Ivorian aircraft
*ECOWAS suspends country from decision-making bodies
Chuks Okocha and Micheal Olugbode in Abuja
Former President Goodluck Jonathan, who recently returned from election monitoring duties in Guinea-Bissau—where he was trapped and later evacuated after the military seized power—has alleged that the “so-called coup” in the West African country was engineered and proclaimed by the ousted President Umaro Sissoco Embaló, and was not a genuine military coup per se.
This comes as the Authority of Heads of State and Governments of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS), yesterday, suspended Guinea-Bissau from all decision-making bodies of the regional bloc.
The coup leaders on Thursday swore in an Army General as Guinea-Bissau’s new Head of State to serve as transitional president for a period of one year. Gen. Horta N’Tam took the oath in brief and quiet proceedings at the army headquarters, a day after the Army coup that toppled Embalo and the country’s democratic structures.
Jonathan told Journalists in Nigeria that it was Embaló that first announced what he termed a “ceremonial coup” before the military came in to take over, saying that he was surprised and embarrassed by such an action.
The former Nigerian president said the ousted President made phone calls to other countries and spoke with journalists that there was a coup, unlike a normal coup d’état.
He said: “There was no coup in Guinea-Bissau. What happened in Guinea-Bissau, I wouldn’t call it a coup. It was not a coup. Maybe some people will describe it as a ceremonial coup. It was President Embaló who announced the coup, before later, a military man came up and addressed the world that they had taken charge, which is strange.
“Embaló not only announced the coup, but he was using his phone, making calls and addressing media organisations around the world that he had been arrested. I am a Nigerian and close to 70, and I know how they keep ex-heads of State when a coup takes place.
“The military doesn’t overthrow a government and a sitting President they have overthrown would be allowed to be using their phones and addressing press conferences, that he has been arrested. Who is fooling who?
“What happened in Guinea-Bissau is quite disturbing to me, who believes in democracy. I feel more pain than the day I called Muhammadu Buhari to congratulate him when I lost the election as a sitting president. What is happening is that we are going back to the past in Guinea-Bissau when the military was in charge.
“The election was peaceful. During the meeting of Heads of Observers’ missions, and all the observers gave their account, nobody said anything different. The elections were peaceful, the counting of votes was carefully done, conduct of officials was okay. The same thing with party agents. When they had finished collating the results, the nine regions were ready.”
Speaking further, the former Nigerian President said: “When they were ready to announce the results, Embaló announced that there is a coup. That they have taken over and they have arrested him. But, from every indication, no body arrested him.”
Jonathan then charged ECOWAS and AU to ensure that the result of the election, which according to him, was ready, should be announced and let the winner be known and acknowledged.
Jonathan also explained why he returned to Nigeria aboard an Ivorian aircraft, saying he felt the need to speak to Nigerians to thank them “for the show of empathy and encouragement” when he was trapped in the West African country.
According to him, both President Tinubu and Côte d’Ivoire’s President Alassane Ouattara made arrangements to evacuate him and his delegation from Bissau.
But the Ivorian team secured landing clearance first due to the stronger regional links between the country and Guinea-Bissau.
“While we were in Bissau and this so-called coup happened, the information we got was that the whole country was agitated, young and old, irrespective of religious or political divides.
“And I sincerely appreciate Nigerians, and I want them to hear directly from my mouth to appreciate their concern. And secondly, to thank my president, President Tinubu, and the Ivorian president, President Ouattara.
“Both presidents were to send aircraft to lift us, but somehow you know Côte d’Ivoire is closer to Guinea-Bissau, and there’s always some relationship between the Francophone countries and the Lusophones, who are among the Francophones.
“They were able to penetrate their system to get a a landing permit before Nigeria could do that. So the Ivorian aircraft was already on its way to pick us up,” he said.
He explained that Côte d’Ivoire’s aircraft was already en route when he was informed that the Nigerian jet had received approval to depart.
“So when we learnt that the Nigerian aircraft were about to leave, we asked them not to bother. That is why, if you see the pictures, I was brought by an Ivorian aircraft,” he said.
Meanwhile, ECOWAS has suspended Guinea-Bissau from all decision-making bodies of the regional bloc.
The Authority of ECOWAS Heads of State and Government, under the chairmanship of President Julius Maada Bio of Sierra Leone, the Mediation and Security Council (MSC), met virtually on Thursday at the level of Heads of State and Government following the military coup on Wednesday and suspended Guinea-Bissau after reviewing the situation.
The West African leaders acted in accordance with the provisions of the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance, warning the coup leaders to restore the democratic order and return to their barracks.
A communique issued after the meeting read: “The MSC decides, in accordance with the provision of the ECOWAS Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance 2001(A/SP/12/01), to suspend Guinea-Bissau from all ECOWAS Decision-making bodies until the restoration of full and effective constitutional order in the country.”
“The MSC also said it holds the coup leaders in the country individually and collectively responsible for the protection of the life and property of all citizens and residents of Guinea-Bissau and for the security and safety of all detainees.”
It also advised the army to return to their barracks and maintain peace and their constitutional role, even as it ordered the ECOWAS Stabilisation and Support Mission in Guinea-Bissau (ESSMGB) to continue helping protect the institutions of Guinea-Bissau.
“The MSC decided to continue to monitor the situation in Guinea Bissau and reserves the right to use all options provided for by the 2001 ECOWAS Supplementary Protocol on Democracy and Good Governance and the 2012 Supplementary Act on Sanctions, including sanctions on all entities deemed culpable of disrupting the electoral and democratic process in Guinea Bissau,’’ it added.
The MSC then mandated the chair of the Authority to lead a high-level mediation mission to Guinea-Bissau to engage with the leaders of the coup, to ensure the complete restoration of constitutional order.
The appointed members of the mission include Faure Gnassingbe, President of Togo; Jose Maria Pereira Neves, President of Cabo Verde; and Bassirou Diomaye, President of Senegal, and will be accompanied by the President of the ECOWAS Commission, Dr. Omar Touray.

